Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LCA angle & LCA relocation brackets & you

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:49 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: LCA angle & LCA relocation brackets & you

i'll tell you right now after doing one autocross that i can almost swear on something precious that it's more fun than you've ever had in your car!!! i thought it would be just like driving in a parking lot at the grocery store. . . and then i saw all the modded Z06 vettes and the AC Cobras and Daytona racecars and Formula Ford and Z28s etc. all on racing tires and i realized this was no parking lot!!!! It's so fun to really pushing the car around all those turns, tires squealing and nearly spinning out, near the redline the entire 63 seconds you're out there. . . haven't tried HPDE yet cause i'm still afraid of myself at 120 on a track and the $40k i'd lose if i hit the wall. . .

oh, yeah, so what this has to do with LCAs is that I installed the LCAs to help me hook up in the turns and further rid the car of body roll!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:04 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Suck it up and go to an HPDE. The only thing that can put you in the wall is YOU. Unless you or your instructor are maniacal you will be fine. technically speaking, since autocross is timed you are at as much risk. HPDE isn't timed, so unless your insurance specificly excludes "racing surface" you are safe.You have to pick one or the other soon because an autocross setup is different than a road course setup. Believe me, once you nail an apex at 100+ and get that tingling in your nuts as your pulling G's - autocross becomes boring
Old 05-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Burke0011
2nd Gear Member

see if you can have someone go with you and take some video!!

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

i'll tell you right now after doing one autocross that i can almost swear on something precious that it's more fun than you've ever had in your car!!! i thought it would be just like driving in a parking lot at the grocery store. . . and then i saw all the modded Z06 vettes and the AC Cobras and Daytona racecars and Formula Ford and Z28s etc. all on racing tires and i realized this was no parking lot!!!! It's so fun to really pushing the car around all those turns, tires squealing and nearly spinning out, near the redline the entire 63 seconds you're out there. . . haven't tried HPDE yet cause i'm still afraid of myself at 120 on a track and the $40k i'd lose if i hit the wall. . .

oh, yeah, so what this has to do with LCAs is that I installed the LCAs to help me hook up in the turns and further rid the car of body roll!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:25 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

i don't disagree! but i can hit cone after cone and my insurance won't have anything to cover cause nothing will be broken or if it is i'll fix it myself. i've checked my policy and it's sketchy and i'm unable to tell if it's the "pre" loophole language or the "post" loophole language and i'm NOT going to come under their radar by calling and asking "do you cover HPDEs". . . anyways.. . either way the adjustable LCAs will benefit me!

believe me rodeo i intend to be out there in either my current car or a dedicated track car in the future. :-) thanks for the encouragement
Old 05-15-2007, 06:16 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I hate talking on the internet!!!!!!! Not off center from side to side.

**** it, i'm not going to explain it anymore. What part of crooked do people not understand?
i got what you were saying. crooked meaning one wheel farther forward than the other.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:58 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Burke0011

Actually axleshift results when you lower the car with new springs. Has nothing to do with the relo brackets and whatnot.

The car kicking out to one side if it is offcenter int he rear makes sense -if the rear axleis off to one side just a bit more than the other andyou add new LCAs and relo brackets so the car BITES better.....with the rear notperfectly centered,when she grabs, the car would naturally angle or kick in the direction the axle is over towards.......

Now that would make sense. I cannot imagine that the Anti Squat Brackets would be the cause. These suspension parts from what I have seen seem to be pretty well engineered. And for the brackets to have so much variance that they caused that large of an issue seem unlikely. And if they were that far out of whack I am certain you would have heard this issue on anyones car who used the CHE Brackets. I have a set sitting in the garage waiting to go on the car and they are seriously built and well made from what i can tell.

Moosestang have you talked to CHE about your issue and if so what did they say?

Richard
Old 05-15-2007, 10:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Now that would make sense. I cannot imagine that the Anti Squat Brackets would be the cause. These suspension parts from what I have seen seem to be pretty well engineered. And for the brackets to have so much variance that they caused that large of an issue seem unlikely. And if they were that far out of whack I am certain you would have heard this issue on anyones car who used the CHE Brackets. I have a set sitting in the garage waiting to go on the car and they are seriously built and well made from what i can tell.

Moosestang have you talked to CHE about your issue and if so what did they say?

Richard
I didn't bother contacting che because I corrected it by adjusting the lower control arms, which is what they are for anyway. There really is nothing else that could cause it to be off. I measured from center bolt to center bolt on the control arms and they were exactly the same length, but looking at the rear wheel on each side it was obvious something wasn't right. After measuring from front wheel center to rear wheel center on both sides and measuring from the control arm mount to the axle tube I was satisfied that it wasn't straight.

I suppose my axle could be bent.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

So my speed shop called meback this afternoon about the rear end kicking out. He tells me this is not an uncommon issue on all high power cars. Your LCA/UCA/PANHARD can be set perfectly and still have this occur. Usually caused by the rears breaking loose both laterally and horizontally.

Reasons:
1) the rear not applying power totally equally to both tires
2) road surface
3) direction of car (not perfectly straight)
4) any other lateral forces the car is under

I trust this guy implicitly and he knows his stuff. A long time SCCA racer and engineer @ Steeda for 8 years....

Guess I just need some DR's for the rear!!
Old 05-16-2007, 11:53 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

moosestang: you were dead on!!! my damn axle's a half inch forward on the passenger's side!!!!! i'll fix that tomorrow. thank you thank you thank you!

stkjock: thanks a bunch for the update. that's encouraging to a degree. i'm less worried that something's dangerously wrong. i'll still get the adj panhard and try to get everything lined up. i may just break down and get an alignment front and back.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Sweet, I'm installing mine today.