Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: 1 piece driveshaft install

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:25 PM
04stangman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: DIY: 1 piece driveshaft install

ORIGINAL: James Cole

Great post! thanx very much, but we would also like to know how does the car feel now...
+1 on the post. Thanks for taking the time out to take pictures and share with us, Thats Kewl!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:28 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

yeah very good pics, one thing that caught my eye though was what in the hell are you doing using a $3.00 ratchet when you can afford a $540.00 driveshaft? LMFAO

Old 02-18-2007, 11:29 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Yeah, there is really no good straight edge to put an angle finder on. I could have used the bottom of the pinion flange I guess, but I wanted to make sure the rear flange was square anyway and it would have been much easier to adjust it prior to putting the new shaft in. There is enough metal edge on the front transmission flange to get my angle finder on it, but it's a little tough to read, so check that angle when you remove the stock shaft. Let me know what yours read. There is no way to change this angle without lowering the engine.

I'm really curious what other people set their pinion angle to. I'm starting to thing I could have lowered my car 1.5 inches (which i've done), got the 1 piece driveshaft and not have had to buy lower control arms at all. After shortening my lca's today, I must be close to the stock length and to get the two parallel I might even need to go shorter than stock.

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Thanks dude for the tip about the pinion angle. I will be sure to check mine before the shaft goes on!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:32 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure I stole that ratchet from my father years ago. I thought it was actually a craftsman, but maybe not. I have mostly crafstman tools and a few made in china.

ORIGINAL: my77stang

yeah very good pics, one thing that caught my eye though was what in the hell are you doing using a $3.00 ratchet when you can afford a $540.00 driveshaft? LMFAO

Old 02-18-2007, 11:32 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

haha....well I dont have my new LCAs yet so I will have to see what I find!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

By the way, I got that ratchet out the toolbox because the craftsman I was using started slipping! LOL! Time to make a trip to Sears. I have a much larger craftsman ratchet, but it was utterly useless in these tight spaces. It makes a nice hammer though.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:05 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Great job... R u happy with the driveshaft so far?
Old 02-20-2007, 11:50 AM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

Sweet, i plan on buying the LFP one, it's suppose to weigh 17lbs. nice write up.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:49 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

its ok i have some crappy ones laying around too but i saw a chance to bust ***** and had to take it
Old 02-20-2007, 05:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Just a little update and hopefully this will save you all some trouble. As you may have read I had a voom, voom, voom sound at 45mph, it was the worst in 3rd gear with the rpms at 2500. Today I shortened my che lca's as far as they would go in order to get the pinion angled up about 2-3 degrees. My transmission is angled down about 3 or 4 degrees, give or take a half degree either way. For those not familiar with the procedure for adjusting the pinion angle with a 1 piece driveshaft, here's a link for you to read.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#SingleCardan

For those who ordered the Denny's shaft pay attention to the info about the single cardan (universal joint) joint driveshaft. It requires that the pinion angle and transmission flange angle be equal or parallel to each other is how I like to thing of it.

My pinion angle was about 0 degrees and after getting as much upward angle as I could out of my che's the voom, voom, voom sound is gone! Quiet as a church mouse up to 80mph, haven't gone faster than that.

Now I also have che relocation brackets and i'm lowered 1.5 inches, I know lowering affects the angles, but I think the relo bracketsaffect how much I had to shorten my lower control arms just to get the pinion up 2-3 degrees.

Anyway the performance gain is there, but i'm not sure how much. When the track reopens on March 28th we will see how I do. The lack of clunks, pops, clicks and **** which i associate with the stock driveshaft is priceless! No noise when shifting as it should be.

Once I get my che driveshaft loop i'll take it up to 120 and see if there's any vibrations. I've got a nice deserted road all picked out for that.

So be sure to check your angles when you remove the stock shaft and adjust your lca's accordingly. For a second there I thought I was going to have to buy an adjustable upper control arm to get more angle adjustment, but after removing the rear of the control arms and spinning the adjustable end links in as far as possible (left 2 threads to be safe) I got the angle I needed.

The sad part is I now don't have anything to do and a driveshaft loop install is going to be boring.

Quick Reply: DIY: 1 piece driveshaft install