Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Shaking in my 'Stang

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:59 AM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about Shaking in my 'Stang

I took my baby in the dealership a couple of weeks back to have the electrical system checked out. (I was having the same issues listed in another post, where my car would not start after sitting for an extended period of time.) Turns out it was bad battery caused byme leaving the Shaker 500 radio on when I turned the car off. My thanks to all the previous information about the battery drain. I turn my radio off now when I exit the car, and so far, so good.

While I had the car in, I had them check it to see what's causing the shaking/vibration in the shifter, pedals, and occasionally the steering wheel when I drive the car. The tech came back and told me
it was the K-member brace and torque limiters I had installed. So I took them off to see if it cleared up, which it has not. Does anyone have any info or similar experiences? The problem is very odd...(to me at least.) When I turn the car on and begin moving, I get a vibration in the shifter and at my feet, through the pedals. It varies in intensity, from mildly annoying to outright distracting, and seems to get worse the faster my speed/RPMs. I plan on taking the car back to the dealership to have it looked at, but I would like to go armed with as much info as possible.

Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:51 AM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Question about Shaking in my 'Stang

the dealership probably had no idea what it was, but they saw u had modified **** so they blames the mods.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:54 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

my steering wheel shakes over 60 thought it may be tires but roatate and balanace didnt fix. Also my brake pedal shakes on the gas
Old 02-19-2007, 11:56 AM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: |UCF|chron

the dealership probably had no idea what it was, but they saw u had modified **** so they blames the mods.
I agree, that's why I want to take it back to them with as much info as possible.

my steering wheel shakes over 60 thought it may be tires but roatate and balanace didnt fix. Also my brake pedal shakes on the gas
Did you ever get it resolved petepete? Does it still do it? I was reading some other posts about a potential driveshaft imbalance, and I might have them check that as well.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:39 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Its tire balance 99 percent of the time. Mine shakes worse with different wheels and tires, but it had it with the factory set up. These arent a Lexus, they all have a bit of shimmy more or less.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:34 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

I understand these cars don't have the ride quality of a Lexus, and I am glad they don't. I enjoy feeling the power build and surge through the drivetrain. However, this vibration was not there when I bought the car, and has only developed in the past two months. Which is why it concerns me.

Thank you for the advice about the tire balance, I was going to have that done soon anyway, so I will bump it up on my list. But would that explain why my shifter vibrates? Or the pedals? And it seems to stop when the clutch is pressed in.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:54 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

the way you worded the question, shaking in the stang, i thought u meant something else

i haven't experienced any major issues with excessive fibration in the stang; i don't think i'm qualified to make a diagnosis either. i honestly have no idea. but good luck with it, bring the car in without that stuff on and show em it still vibrates. then see what they say.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:39 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Usually roadforce balancing will cure most shimmies shakes and other vibrations at speed. Other causes would be flywheel, clutch assembly in your case. Torque converters can create shake in autos. Generally these are absorbed before reaching you in the cabin. Try a roadforce balance at a shop where they know how to actually use the machine. I had some teenage dork try to balance my tires on a roadforce machine and didnt know how to use it, i watched him counterbalance the weights, made the manager redo them the right way. You would be amazed how many idiots try to balance tires with old weights on them. The old weights have to be stripped off, to be sure mark them with a Sharpie before balancing and look after balancing to see if they did it. Worse case scenario with tire balancing is a tire that wont stay in balance, it has shifting belts and changes balance constantly. Can be hard to nail down but i made a tire shop replace a tire years ago on a truck that had new tires and it finally cured my shimmy in that vehicle. Sometimes you just have to know more than the mechanics who are doing the work.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: superiormirage
Turns out it was bad battery caused byme leaving the Shaker 500 radio on when I turned the car off.
Dont mean to go off topic, but I never turn off the radio when I get out of the car. I too have the Shaker 500, when I open the door the power to the radio is turned off. So why did they say your battery dying was because you didnt turn off the radio?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:55 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xbone

Usually roadforce balancing will cure most shimmies shakes and other vibrations at speed. Other causes would be flywheel, clutch assembly in your case. Torque converters can create shake in autos. Generally these are absorbed before reaching you in the cabin. Try a roadforce balance at a shop where they know how to actually use the machine. I had some teenage dork try to balance my tires on a roadforce machine and didnt know how to use it, i watched him counterbalance the weights, made the manager redo them the right way. You would be amazed how many idiots try to balance tires with old weights on them. The old weights have to be stripped off, to be sure mark them with a Sharpie before balancing and look after balancing to see if they did it. Worse case scenario with tire balancing is a tire that wont stay in balance, it has shifting belts and changes balance constantly. Can be hard to nail down but i made a tire shop replace a tire years ago on a truck that had new tires and it finally cured my shimmy in that vehicle. Sometimes you just have to know more than the mechanics who are doing the work.
Thanks for the advice xbone. I'll try the roadforce blancing as soon as I can get it in. I ask the next question out of complete ignorance: how could the flywheel cause it, what is it doing, and how can it be fixed?

Dont mean to go off topic, but I never turn off the radio when I get out of the car. I too have the Shaker 500, when I open the door the power to the radio is turned off. So why did they say your battery dying was because you didnt turn off the radio?
Yeah, I should have clarified that point. I had the car towed to the dealership because the battery was completely dead. I couldn't even jump it. The battery had been giving me issues before that (the car had gone dead after sitting for several times.)
After the dealership replaced it, I took it home and hooked up a volt meter to it. I got the idea off another post here in the mustangforums. Another member did the same thing, and figured out the Shaker would draw a charge if it wasn't turned off "properly". He was right, ever couple of times, I would see a small drain on the battery. So, the dealership didn't tell me to turn the radio off, I got that information from this forum.

Quick Reply: Question about Shaking in my 'Stang