Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone actually mess with their X-Cal II??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Default Anyone actually mess with their X-Cal II??

After reading another post I started to think about the user control options that the SCT has. Most people I see just tune their car and forget they have the X-Cal still there. Those who use the user controls seem to only touch the fan temps or the gear settings.

My question is, has anyone messed around with the air/fuel ratio at WOT or the timing at different RPM increments? I know this is not something that should be done if one does not know what they are doing, but when there's a button or a **** to touch...ill touch it...even if its red..lol I am not clueless about what theseadjustments do so I am not really afraid to try. The only thing I have done was change the air/fuel at WOT to 2% leaner and 4% leaner. I didn't see a dramatic change so I put it back to Brents original settings. I do notknowenough about the timing to play with that, so if anyone can fill me in on how the timing is affected through the RPM range, that would be fantastic.

Can someone shine some light on this for me? Can these setting become useful of done properly? It seems that as the weather changes it may be a useful tool at the track depending on humidity and temp. Specs on my car are down below....Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:25 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone actually mess with their X-Cal II??

They can help but if you don't know exactly what your doing you can kill your car.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:34 PM
lynwood78
3rd Gear Member

If you don't know what you're doing I say leave it alone and let someone who knows teach you.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:49 PM
dsteber

Yeah, as much as I hoped for the SCT II to be a plug-and-play, it's not. My Ford dealer "updated" my ecm without my knowledge. I got it home, reloaded the 93 tune on it, and it would not start. Had to have it towed into Ford. They reprogrammed it. I drove it home, and it did the same thing. After it was towed in that second time, they charged me 220 bucks to reprogram the car again. My dealer did not know what was going on with it. I contacted SCT and they said I had to send it back to them so they can clear it. It was then sent back to my dealer for him to reload the tunes. When I went to load the new tune back on----yep---wouldn't start. Put it back to stock. It started, but now the shifting is all screwed up (automatic). I am at a loss on what to do with this. Sorry for venting, but I am so aggravated with it, it's not funny.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:53 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm, hadnt thought about that, i put mine back to stock and am bringin it to the dealer for new fuel injectors, i will ask the mechanic to make sure he doesnt change the base program in mine, because that would screw up the SCT2 tune.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

The main purpose of getting a tuner like the sct is so you can load a custom tune on it. So about changing parameters, there is really no way of knowing exactly what needs to be done unless you get it on a dyno and get the diagnostic data. With that, you can say adjust A/F at what RPM. Generally, you may be able to play around with it a little bit changing rev limits, shift points etc, but for things like a/f you should get the data before messing with it. Same with spark/timing. You can damage the car by advancing timing or leaning it out etc.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Texas660

On the subject of dealer ecm updates, heres a link to a good article on Brenspeeds website. Tells how to avoid the no start situation.
http://www.brenspeed.com/tech/dealerflash.html
Old 02-19-2007, 08:00 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

once when my car was in the dealership they said there was an updated flash for the ECM so they did it. is this gonna bite me when it comes time to purchase a SCT II ? how would i ever know which version of the flash i currently have? i know the dealer didnt make any notes containing any usefull information.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

You would have to plug a scanner in and read the strategy code, then forward that to the tuner. Any transmission shop or mechanic you are friendly with should be able to plug in for free or a small fee to let you write it down.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Texas660

You can check your current strategy code with the x-cal II. When you reflash to stock before going to the dealer check current strategy code and write it down. After you get the car back plug in your tuner and check the code again. If its different then dont load any of your tunes. You will have to contact your tuner and give them the old code and the new one. They should then be able update your tunes and e-mail them to you.
At least thats the way I understand it.

Quick Reply: Anyone actually mess with their X-Cal II??