Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping your Pony for the long haul. 20+ years

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 02:34 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Keeping your Pony for the long haul. 20+ years

ORIGINAL: Buckshot Barry
I'm not looking to sell it for a profit (or sell it at all). It just reminds me so much of the Mustang I had as a teenager. I had the cash and extra garage space to pull this off at 47, so I bought a toy to keep till I push up daisies.
I take care of mine as well. Keeping it clean and dry, not driving in the rain or snow, and keeping it in the garage when I'm not driving it. However I bought it to enjoy driving it, and I do whenever the roads are dry. Do what you will but I say you are missing out on what I find to be the most fun I've had in many years behind the wheel. I fail to see your logic in buying a toy till you push up daisies. If you don't drive it how do you see it as a toy?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75

I take care of mine as well. Keeping it clean and dry, not driving in the rain or snow, and keeping it in the garage when I'm not driving it. However I bought it to enjoy driving it, and I do whenever the roads are dry. Do what you will but I say you are missing out on what I find to be the most fun I've had in many years behind the wheel. I fail to see your logic in buying a toy till you push up daisies. If you don't drive it how do you see it as a toy?
I'm going to catchdoodoo on this comment. My wife and I have owned 3 new Hondas and 2 new Acura's that were purchased since 1990 (the 1990 Integra we just sold had 327,000 miles on it). I have owned 3 Fords. 1970 Mustang well used in 1976, 1988 5.0 GT from 1988 to 1990 and now my 2007 Pony Package. The 3 Fords I have owneddo not exhibit the quality and craftsmanship of the Honda/Acura's that we have owned. Just look at the rust on components on my 3 week old Mustang. It's not bad, but it sucks when you look at the undercarriage of my CR-V (75,000 miles) and CL (102,000 miles) that get driven daily.

Anyway, I want this Mustang to look good years (decades) from now. I think it will have to be babied to reach that goal.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:04 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

I say drive it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Wisconsin 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Keep it clean and out of the salt...I see that you are from Georgia...My 90GT is out of Georgia...paint is faded from sitting in the sun but the body is absolutly rust free. Don't dick around with wrenchs just because you're bored. Plan your mods carefully and professionally. Most of all...drive the darn thing and enjoy it!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Wisconsin 5.0
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Buckshot Barry

ORIGINAL: wingman75

I'm going to catchdoodoo on this comment. My wife and I have owned 3 new Hondas and 2 new Acura's that were purchased since 1990 (the 1990 Integra we just sold had 327,000 miles on it). I have owned 3 Fords. 1970 Mustang well used in 1976, 1988 5.0 GT from 1988 to 1990 and now my 2007 Pony Package. The 3 Fords I have owneddo not exhibit the quality and craftsmanship of the Honda/Acura's that we have owned. Just look at the rust on components on my 3 week old Mustang. It's not bad, but it sucks when you look at the undercarriage of my CR-V (75,000 miles) and CL (102,000 miles) that get driven daily.

Anyway, I want this Mustang to look good years (decades) from now. I think it will have to be babied to reach that goal.

+1 sorry
Old 02-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Fambaa
2nd Gear Member

Weve had our 05 since April of 05 and till this day it still has 187 miles on it
Old 02-20-2007, 03:34 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

My opinion would be to drive the car as often as possible. Why do you care how it looks in 20 years if you're not alive? I'm not saying to beat it to the ground though...continue to wash, wax, and maintain it accordingly. It's the people who don't take care of their car that end up having ash*t box in the long haul.

My car is a daily driver but that doesn't mean I don't get **** when it comes down to cleaning and maintenance. Unless, it's an emergency I have not and will not drive in the salt. If I do, I'll just get a quick under-carriage wash and that's that. Maybe I'm lucky to even have this car as a daily driver while others have a beater (which makes no sense to me). The only car that I would store away and take out only on special days isa true old school 60s or 70s muscle car (which I will soon have because I said so). Besides that I hope you really enjoy your car that many (not all)people around the world can only dream about.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:47 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

dude just drive it, thats why u got it. things can be replaced if **** happens. have fun with it
Old 02-20-2007, 04:33 PM
07stanglady
1st Gear Member

You know, this reminds me of my husband and his baseball cards. He'd buy 'em, sort 'em, store 'em, then come to me and say "hey, babe, this "__________" card is worth $____!" I'd say, "Good, sell it and we'll go out to dinner!" No way, never gonna happen. Those cards are still sittin' here, just as nice and clean and perfect as they were nearly 20 years ago, because nobody ever touches them and they've been stored properly. If that's how he enjoys them, so be it.

Now me, I buy things to enjoy them too, and I bought my Mustang to enjoy, and that means I drive it. I don't abuse it, and I take care of it as best I can, but it's my daily driver, and not a garage queen. If I were to buy a Mustang to keep in the garage until I push up daisies, I'd have to have a second one to have fun with, and use the way I wanted. Frankly, I wouldn't bother, because as much as I love the Mustang, it's just a car, and there will probably be another car in my future somewhere that I'll love just as much. It's good, great and perfect even, but it's not the "be all and end all" to me.

To each his own, but I'd say that if you want the car to last that 20+ years, you're already on the right track since you don't use it much and it stays in the garage, and you don't need anyone here to help you out.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Fambaa
2nd Gear Member

Lol,my dadscar is the biggest garage queen .....ever.....ever.......EVER

Mine is too for the time being...salt every where and snow....but come spring mines out and his will more than likely stay

Right now im driving an 88 tempo woooo

Quick Reply: Keeping your Pony for the long haul. 20+ years