Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping your Pony for the long haul. 20+ years

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Keeping your Pony for the long haul. 20+ years

ORIGINAL: Silencer06

You won't catch hell from me. My daily driver is a '98 Toyota T100 pickup, my wife is driving an '07 Toyota RAV4, and my daughter is STILL driving my wife's old '95 Toyota Corolla with 154K miles on it. Yes, we swear by the long-term value of Toyotas! Toyota and Honda are both well known for their quality and workmanshipand long-term reliability for good reason, and Ford and GM are not....for goodreason. However, with that said, I will never own any other American vehicle unless it's a Ford because I believe their quality is the best you can get from an American auto-maker. This Mustang is my 2nd Ford (my first was an '88 Bronco II that I owned for 11 years and never had one problem with until the transfer case failed at 137K miles), and so far in the first year I've owned it, I have not had one problem with it (a little more than 9K miles so far). Yes I read all the threads about all the flaws with the car (leaks, fuel pumps, rear-end whine, etc), butpersonally, my Mustanghas (so far) measured to be exactly the kind of quality I expected from a Ford.I'm very happy with it, and just like you, I do *plan* to keep it for 20+ years. I just hope it runs as good and looks as good 20 years from now as my wife's RAV4 will at that point.
Maybe years ago reliability was further apart, but more recently reliability is much more equal. I sold my '94 F-150 three years ago and it had 186,000 miles on it with no major engine or tranny work. The guy I sold it too is still driving it and has over 200,000 on it now. Yes, its a Ford.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:40 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

how often do you guys change oil. my dad works for exxonmobil, and the standard is 3K but its proven the extended and all synthetics dont chemically break down.

soooo , what do you guys do?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black GT
Maybe years ago reliability was further apart, but more recently reliability is much more equal. I sold my '94 F-150 three years ago and it had 186,000 miles on it with no major engine or tranny work. The guy I sold it too is still driving it and has over 200,000 on it now. Yes, its a Ford.
+1!!!!!
Over the past 17 years, I’ve owned four Fords that have all run well over 100k miles without problems, including my ’89 LX 5.0, which I owned for 17 years and put 100k+ miles on before selling to a fellow member of mustangforums.com a few months ago. My wife’s 2000 Durango 4x4, which we bought new, also just hit 90k miles with just one repair to date.

Here are my 7 recommendations for keeping your car for 15+ years:

1) Garage your car.
Less sun, bird crap, rain, and dings, means your paint lasts longer.

2) Wash and wax your car.
Wash it after it is in rain, snow, or mud and keep a healthy coat of wax on it (that could mean every 3 months or once a year, depending on how much weather it is exposed to and how often you wash it). Again, the less crap on your paint, the longer it will last.

3) Change your oil.
Change oil very 3-4k miles or every 6 months, whichever comes first, preferably with full synthetic oil.

4) Follow Ford’s maintenance schedule.
This includes changing fluids.

5) Don’t ignore/put off repairs.
Neglected repairs or deferred maintenance causes other problems down the road. For instance, if your radiator goes and your engine overheats, then your seals can go and then you’re forever dealing with stopping leaks. Bad brakes, shocks, and tires also put more stress on other parts of your car.

6) Drive the car regularly.
Even 10 miles a week will keep it going longer than letting your car sit for weeks unused. If it regularly sits for weeks without being driven, hoses dry out, fluids break down, etc.

7) Avoid hard driving.
The less short trips and stop-and-go traffic, the longer your mechanicals will last. That’s why it’s good to have a beater car for those short trips around town to the market/gym/school/etc.

You don't have to drive a boring car to have a realiable car. I know from experience.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:16 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

All you need to is not beat the **** out of it, keep it in tune, always zaino'd and you will be fine . My white fox (89' 5.0) hit 18this year....still going strong.Had allot of street racing back in the late 80'- early 90's.Car ran M&H steet slicks on it for about 2 years straightBoy were those the days.....

Casey
Old 02-21-2007, 10:03 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

lol. just thinkin.... my dad has a 97' expedition which we use to pull a freakin heavy racing trailer.. has 184,000 miles on it.

no service except for a dashboard light.

kept outdoors

no rust

runs great

daily driver

go figure?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:16 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 22kart22
lol. just thinkin.... my dad has a 97' expedition which we use to pull a freakin heavy racing trailer.. has 184,000 miles on it.

no service except for a dashboard light.

kept outdoors

no rust

runs great

daily driver

go figure?
Well, that's 10 years. Twenty is about twice as long. Which means stuff like weatherstripping, plastic parts, and anything made of rubber will have twice as much time crumble, paint has more time to oxidize, steel has more time to rust, and seals have more time to die.

184k miles without a repair is great. Another example of how Fords can really hold up, and why driving a car/truck is better than not driving one.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:32 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: Black GT

ORIGINAL: Silencer06

You won't catch hell from me. My daily driver is a '98 Toyota T100 pickup, my wife is driving an '07 Toyota RAV4, and my daughter is STILL driving my wife's old '95 Toyota Corolla with 154K miles on it. Yes, we swear by the long-term value of Toyotas! Toyota and Honda are both well known for their quality and workmanshipand long-term reliability for good reason, and Ford and GM are not....for goodreason. However, with that said, I will never own any other American vehicle unless it's a Ford because I believe their quality is the best you can get from an American auto-maker. This Mustang is my 2nd Ford (my first was an '88 Bronco II that I owned for 11 years and never had one problem with until the transfer case failed at 137K miles), and so far in the first year I've owned it, I have not had one problem with it (a little more than 9K miles so far). Yes I read all the threads about all the flaws with the car (leaks, fuel pumps, rear-end whine, etc), butpersonally, my Mustanghas (so far) measured to be exactly the kind of quality I expected from a Ford.I'm very happy with it, and just like you, I do *plan* to keep it for 20+ years. I just hope it runs as good and looks as good 20 years from now as my wife's RAV4 will at that point.
Don't want to risk jackingthis thread, but I'll add thatI definitely agree. I believe Toyota's quality is superior to Ford's, but Ford definitely puts out a good product and that's why I said I won't own any other American vehicle. I've only owned two Fords in my 25 years of driving (one lasted me 11 years), but I have plenty of experience with them throughout life as my entire family (mom, grandfather, uncle, in-laws, etc.) have owned Fords (or Mercuries) since as long as I can remember. It's either coincidental that none of them had any majorproblems to complain about, or they have always been "lucky", or quite simply, Ford just puts out better quality thanGM orChrysler. I've had my experience owning one GM product (a '76 Firebird),and my mom and dad eachowned a couple of Buicks and Chevies, butthese days, noneof us will ever own GM again because our experiences with them were mostlynegative--constantbreakdowns andnit-noid repairs! MyFirebird only had 76,000 miles on it after 8 years of driving it (and taking care of it!), butit seemed my head was under the hood more than it was behind the wheel before I finally gave up on trying (oh, and they're also a pain in the *** to do routine maintenance on; for example, I had to remove the A/C compressor just to change the damn spark plugs on my Firebird!). Now that's not to say ALL GMs are pieces of crap--I know others swear by 'em so GM must do something right--but myown personal experience is enough to convince me not to take the chance anymore. Nope, as long as the quality and workmanship of Toyota and Ford continue to serve me well, I will continue togivemy loyalty only to both of them.

And by the way, regarding the REAL subject of this thread, I agree with others that the most sound advice is the simplest-- just change the oil on schedule, treatthe body and interior with respect, do all the required maintenance, etc. Just take care of the car and it will take care of you! And do yourself a favor -- DRIVE IT TOO!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I agree with most, just enjoy the car. Keep up with 3000 mile oil changes and don't beat the crap out of it. I'm looking for 10 year plan. I figure I'll have a little over 100,000 miles on it at that point and there should be a nice looking new Mustang on a dealers lot smiling at me then. I'm a driver like many said, I had a couple hundred miles on the first day and little over 5000 now, 6 months later. I never liked the trailer queen idea a lot of show people have. Although I do enter into shows I enjoy driving there more than standing at the show. Every show car I had I put a lot of miles on. I not going to sit back in old age saying "boy I had alot of nice cars but hardly drove them". But to each their own.

[IMG]local://upfiles/60765/A2A8FBE0D2E74954B52A05315E1B9BB9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2007, 02:09 PM
MalibuJerry350
1st Gear Member

CRAP! Drive it!! I've owned my 70 Chevelle since new and drove it everyday for 36 years and over 670,000 miles! These cars were meant to have fun with. You could get sick tomorrow, or worse, and not be able to ever drive it again. It is, after all (in the words of an old friend) "a friggin' car!" Enjoy it! If you want a model, buy a Revell.