Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHAT'S THE BEST MULTI-VISCOSITY OIL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

Default WHAT'S THE BEST MULTI-VISCOSITY OIL?

So here is my dilemma. Ford "recommends" 5W-20, but it is well know that 20 weight is thin when it comes to high heat protection. The reason Ford did this is because it needed to meet the CAFE fuel economy minimums, and one "technique" for doing this is to low ball the oil weight. Yes, 20 weight oil gets you more fuel economy, but you see boys and girls, 20 weight oil is also thinner, and therefore is BAD for engine longevity. 5W is obviously good enough for wniter conditions, but it's the 20 weight that is the issue.

So, you get the picture. 20 weight is great for fuel economy, but isn't good enough for high heat protection, simply because it isn't thick enough. Case in point, there isn't a single race car out there that would be caught dead with 20 weight oil in the crankcase. So here is my question. Would 5W-40 be a better oil? How about 0W-40?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:12 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

Default RE: WHAT'S THE BEST MULTI-VISCOSITY OIL?

Is your car a racecar?if not put the recommended 5W20 in. go for a synthetic though
Old 02-20-2007, 01:12 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

The 3V engine needs the thinner oil to operate the VCT phasers properly, thicker oilcan cause them to act up, stay with Motorcraft oil.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schapman

Is your car a racecar?if not put the recommended 5W20 in. go for a synthetic though
No, but it is a high performance vehicle, and tends to run hot. So your recommendation is to follow the Ford strategy and, in so doing, shorten the life of my vehicle's enginewith thin oil.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:19 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

What are you mods that make it a "high performance vehicle"??
Old 02-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xbone

The 3V engine needs the thinner oil to operate the VCT phasers properly, thicker oilcan cause them to act up, stay with Motorcraft oil.
My car has Photon Torpedoes, not Phasers. LOL

If the Variable Cam Timing solenoids are that sensitive to oil viscosity, then Ford would have mandated the use of 20 weight oil. Last I looked, they didn't.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:26 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

no! 5W40 would shorten the life of the vehicle. Oil has to be thin enough to work is small passaged in your engine. With your thinking why not just put 5w50 in?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:27 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Thin oil is OK. The problem comes when you have NO oil film between moving parts.

The Modular engines are designed with wider bearings than older engines. They also have roller cam followers instead of flat tappets. These features mean that they can run lower viscosity oil than older generation engines without a problem. In fact, like xbone said, they NEED to have fairly thin oil compared to older engines in order for the cam phasers and the hydraulic rocker pedastals to operate properly.

I see no problems running 5W20. All of the big race shops like Livernois, JDM, MMR and such are sticking with this oil as well.

If you are very concerned about your oil performance and longevity, there is a much weaker link than the oil grade. That would be the oil filtration. Make sure your change your oil and filtration regularly and frequently to keep it clean. Modern oils can last a long time, but the filters cannot--especially the fairly small filters that Ford is using on these engines. If you are looking for a "mod" to improve your oiling for some reason, then get a remote mount and start running a larger filter.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schapman

no! 5W40 would shorten the life of the vehicle. Oil has to be thin enough to work is small passaged in your engine. With your thinking why not just put 5w50 in?
The same anti-logic applies to you. If thinner is so much better, than why not use 5W10? The fact of the matter is, thicker oil adheres better to the engine internals, which provides extra protection from metal-to-metal wear. If thinner oil is better, than answer me this. Why is that every grade of racing oil starts at 50 weight. Because race car builders want their engines to last as short as possible? I don't think so.......
Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Thin oil is OK. The problem comes when you have NO oil film between moving parts.

The Modular engines are designed with wider bearings than older engines. They also have roller cam followers instead of flat tappets. These features mean that they can run lower viscosity oil than older generation engines without a problem. In fact, like xbone said, they NEED to have fairly thin oil compared to older engines in order for the cam phasers and the hydraulic rocker pedastals to operate properly.

I see no problems running 5W20. All of the big race shops like Livernois, JDM, MMR and such are sticking with this oil as well.

If you are very concerned about your oil performance and longevity, there is a much weaker link than the oil grade. That would be the oil filtration. Make sure your change your oil and filtration regularly and frequently to keep it clean. Modern oils can last a long time, but the filters cannot--especially the fairly small filters that Ford is using on these engines. If you are looking for a "mod" to improve your oiling for some reason, then get a remote mount and start running a larger filter.
One obvious benefit of thinner oil is better gas mileage. I think I will try 5W-30, just to see how it impacts mileage. If my engine implodes because my valvetrain seizes, I'll let you know, butI really don't think that's gonna happen. If anything, I believe this will extend engine life, not shorten it.

Quick Reply: WHAT'S THE BEST MULTI-VISCOSITY OIL?