Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided Hose Issue! With Solution

Old 02-21-2007, 01:10 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default Braided Hose Issue! With Solution

Ok I happen to be under the hood cleaning today and noticed a issue with the 5/8" Braided hose that is used for the driver side PCV line. Not sure why this happen but the hose actually collapsed in on itself. So i removed the hose and could not get it to go back to it's regular shape. So my next step was to simply replace the hose with a new piece. So i then cut the hose apart and it seems as though the oil blow by may have made the hose weak in one area and thus it collapsed.
Not sure if this is the reason for sure but the rubber did seem kind of gooey. Now i have only had these hoses on the car for maybe 500 miles and this happen. So has anyone else had this happen and have any of you checked your hose lately? I could not really tell by simply looking at it, I discovered it after cleaning some thing and ran my hand across the hose and it had a funny shape to it. Anyway when i cut the hose apart i found one small area that bubble up inside and sucked itself onto the other inside area of the hose. .
I used the Spectre Brand of hose and now I think i am going to try and locate a differant brand. Does anyone happen to know what the AN sizing is for a 5/8" hose???

SOLUTION BELOW

Ok so I went and checked the hose again after only a few day use and it was collapsed again. So i began thinking what i could do to resolve this issue. And here is what i came up with. Sorry no pictures it was all done on the fly so to speak. Thankfully I always save stock parts when i remove them from the car. I pulled out the box i keep them in and pulled out the stock tube, now i had already cut the stock snap onfittings off to use with the braided line, so I check to see if the original hard tube fits inside the braided lineand it does.However the stock hard tube has a decent bend built into it and I was not sure that would work with the braided hose. I measured with my eye approx. how deep the stock snap onfittings go into the braided line and then kind of lined it up with the hard line. I then cut the hard line down removing more from the curved end than the straight end. If you still have the stock pipe you will understand when you look at it. I then spray the end of the braided line inside with some WD40 and also the hard line end and began shoving it into the braided line Things are going perfect. Then i get to the end and I cannot get the hard line to go any deeper. I then pulled out a 11mm Deep socket in 1/4" Drive and a small hammer. I then had my daughter hold the braided hose on end with the Anodized fittings still on for a flat surface and I stuck the socket onto the hard line and began whacking it with the hammer which drove itdown deep enough to then put the stock snap onfittings back on. and wallah I think the problem will be solved. I cannot imagine this collapsing in.

Richard
Old 02-21-2007, 02:01 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Braided Hose Issue! With Solution

Ok I lost you at "stock snap fittings go into the braided line"

is this the one you are talking about

[IMG]local://upfiles/25187/EF02D9C7838545C8A83F1D051571C7AF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-21-2007, 06:25 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Braided Hose Issue! With Solution

Yes the large 5/8" hose. You already have the stock snap fittings installed on your hose.

Richard