Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI & Tune: Which tune and octane are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 09:33 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI & Tune: Which tune and octane are you using?

93 tune on 92 octane gas as that is the highest octane we can get in Oregon. No pinging.
Hmmmmmm...

Brenspeed 93 tune. Runs like ascreaming banshee compared to the 91 tune. I don't know how much faster the 93 tune is, but it sure sounds faster and meaner.
Oh yea! That little test drive with the 93 tune blew me away! That's the tune I'm going after but I need to wait for a dyno to test it on. Maybe after a couple of tanks of the 92 octane I'll retry the 93 tune.

Hey, do you think that if, after running a couple of tanks of the 92 octane and try the 93 tune again and it still pings, could I ask Brenspeed for an adjusted tune with just the "pinging" description? Or would he want SCT datalogging or Dynograph?

I'd really like to run that 93 tune if at all possible - but limited to the 92 octane gas.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:42 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

93 tune on 92 octane gas as that is the highest octane we can get in Oregon. No pinging.
Hmmmmmm...

Brenspeed 93 tune. Runs like a screaming banshee compared to the 91 tune. I don't know how much faster the 93 tune is, but it sure sounds faster and meaner.
Oh yea! That little test drive with the 93 tune blew me away! That's the tune I'm going after but I need to wait for a dyno to test it on. Maybe after a couple of tanks of the 92 octane I'll retry the 93 tune.

Hey, do you think that if, after running a couple of tanks of the 92 octane and try the 93 tune again and it still pings, could I ask Brenspeed for an adjusted tune with just the "pinging" description? Or would he want SCT datalogging or Dynograph?

I'd really like to run that 93 tune if at all possible - but limited to the 92 octane gas.

Thanks.
Asking for trouble. Detonation, over a period of time, will work your engine over. Very dangerous to run a motor with too much timing.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:27 PM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

Hmmmmmm...

Brenspeed 93 tune. Runs like ascreaming banshee compared to the 91 tune. I don't know how much faster the 93 tune is, but it sure sounds faster and meaner.

Thanks.
Asking for trouble. Detonation, over a period of time, will work your engine over. Very dangerous to run a motor with too much timing.
A quick search on the Internet revealed this summary of the issue...

In most of the U.S., regular gas has an octane rating of 87, midgrade gas is 89, and premium is 91 or 92. (Octane ratings are lower in the mountain west due to the effects of thin air on internal combustion.) Contrary to widespread belief, the octane rating doesn't indicate how much power the fuel delivers; all grades of gasoline contain roughly the same amount of heat energy. Rather, a higher octane rating means the fuel is less likely to cause your engine to knock or ping. Knock, also known as detonation, occurs when part of the fuel-air mixture in one or more of your car's cylinders ignites spontaneously due to compression, independent of the combustion initiated by the spark plug. (The ideal gas law tells us that a gas heats up when compressed.) Instead of a controlled burn, you get what amounts to an explosion--not a good thing for your engine. To avoid this, high-octane gas is formulated to burn slower than regular, making it less likely to ignite without benefit of spark.

The articlealso goes on to say...

Some automotive types claim that using premium in a car designed for regular will make the engine dirtier--something about deposits on the back side of the intake valves.

If you're experiencing detonation you'd be better off running the 91 tune but since I haven't experienced any detonation I'm sticking with the 93 tune until I have her dyno'd.