Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*CAI/SCT TUNER*HP GAINS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:19 AM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: *CAI/SCT TUNER*HP GAINS?

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

. Stock Rear Wheel Horse Power has been around 265 on the Manuals that equals 300HP at the engine crank, thats before thedrivetrain.
Stock rwhp around 230ish. Im guessing with your setup your MAYBE pushing 260ish ( maybe). Add a supercharger and you might be around 350. People love to inflate their hp numbers, dont worry tho, when someone pulls up next to you claiming 360 hp and you walk him with 280, then youll see whos smiling.
230?? I have not seen one 05-07 stock dyno at 230, 255 is lowest I have seen.
https://mustangforums.com/m_2625816/tm.htm

I am in the process in writing a program that will estimate what average HP your car could make depending on your mods. I am collecting a database of number to do this.
Download the sheet here http://home.comcast.net/~swieduwilt01/Mustangforums_Dynos.xls
My car Dynoed with just the K&N Filter 270hp @279TQ and I have an automatic.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:26 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

You're going to learn a lot just cruising through these forums. Lots and lots of good stuff here. And, from some of the posts above, a lot of people are willing to tell you straight up if the mod/concept is BS or a good idea.

When I first bought my '01 auto I spent mucho grande time in these types of forums learning about what works/what doesn't. And, yes, there definately IS aftermarket BS parts being advertised as"20HP."

Now that I'm in my '07 it's like learning all over again. Searching these forums and learning from other people. I only just added my first mod: Brenspeed C&L and tune. If I have a question then I'll ask. Sometimes other people have the same question too. Be warned: A lot of stuff has already been discussed and you might get a response like "Did you try the 'search' button?"

Spend some time getting to know your new ride - they're pretty cool right off the lot (stock). But, modding these things is a hell of a lot of fun too!! Be warned: Once you start modding, forget it. It's like crack, man.

The gears aren't that expensive. Maybe $130-ish (haven't looked lately). You already have the SCT to adjust for the speedo so you'll save $$ there. Unless you know exactly what you're doing just take it to someone else for install and that'll usually run you a couple of bills. Search the threads for what others feel is a good/reasonable price for the install and search the online retailers for gear prices.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:29 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

. Stock Rear Wheel Horse Power has been around 265 on the Manuals that equals 300HP at the engine crank, thats before thedrivetrain.
Stock rwhp around 230ish. Im guessing with your setup your MAYBE pushing 260ish ( maybe). Add a supercharger and you might be around 350. People love to inflate their hp numbers, dont worry tho, when someone pulls up next to you claiming 360 hp and you walk him with 280, then youll see whos smiling.
230?? I have not seen one 05-07 stock dyno at 230, 255 is lowest I have seen.
https://mustangforums.com/m_2625816/tm.htm

I am in the process in writing a program that will estimate what average HP your car could make depending on your mods. I am collecting a database of number to do this.
Download the sheet here http://home.comcast.net/~swieduwilt01/Mustangforums_Dynos.xls
My car Dynoed with just the K&N Filter 270hp @279TQ and I have an automatic.
You may be talking about a dynojet, then yeah about 250 stock. I was reffering to a mustang/land and sea dyno where stock is right around 236 rwhp. But in any case, that k&n + tune will probably give you an average of 10-15 hp, which is the best mod for the buck. If i were you, i would order a tune and new CAI from brenspeed, download it, and enjoy.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:45 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Hey zesty,

There are two types of dynos (that I know of). One is the Mustang Dyno and the other is the DynoJet. The Mustang Dyno's rollers have friction simulating "under load" conditions and will result in lower HP#'s. The DynoJet rollers are free rolling (correct me if I'm wrong) and will result bigger HP#'s.

Once you start dynoing try to stick with that dyno shop when testing future mods for some type of test continuity. There are a lot of variables that will affect the dyno though, including the weather. So, from one day to the next may result slightly different #'sat the same dyno shop.

Another pretty good "Dyno" is the seat-of-the-pants feel and probably the best "Dyno" of them all is track times. Since I'm too chicken**** to test my close-to-being-stock ride on the track, I'm going with the SOTP then the local Mustang Dyno-usually for A/F checking.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:51 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

Exactly, just make sure you stay consistant on the type of dyno you use. And dont feel bad when someone says they have 280 hp with their cai and tune, just smile and nod.
ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

Hey zesty,

There are two types of dynos (that I know of). One is the Mustang Dyno and the other is the DynoJet. The Mustang Dyno's rollers have friction simulating "under load" conditions and will result in lower HP#'s. The DynoJet rollers are free rolling (correct me if I'm wrong) and will result bigger HP#'s.

Once you start dynoing try to stick with that dyno shop when testing future mods for some type of test continuity. There are a lot of variables that will affect the dyno though, including the weather. So, from one day to the next may result slightly different #'sat the same dyno shop.

Another pretty good "Dyno" is the seat-of-the-pants feel and probably the best "Dyno" of them all is track times. Since I'm too chicken**** to test my close-to-being-stock ride on the track, I'm going with the SOTP then the local Mustang Dyno-usually for A/F checking.