Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 fragged spark plugs with Brenspeed tune

Old 02-22-2007, 03:24 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 3 fragged spark plugs with Brenspeed tune

About the plugs, all i know is they are pretty new design, they are alot longer past the threads and electrode than the old style, and concerning these Mustangs Ford has changed the spark plug to a colder spec for these cars when it comes to replacement, the part numbers reflect that change. Dont know how much that will affect cai/tunes.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:31 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xbone
. I am debating what to do, install the cai with the 87 octane tune and see what happens, or sell it off and stay stock. The car is running real good stock, just doesnt have the throttle response it had with the tune. But i cant take chances in ruining my engine and voiding my warranty for a couple of hp.

Have you considered getting the FRPP CAI & 93 octane tune?
Should be ZERO issues with that because it is definitely less "agressive" than the Brenspeed (and EVO) since it's in Ford's interest to keep your car fully protected rather than to tweak every last drop of power from the engine.
I couldn't be happier with my tune (which is actually even more noticable on an auto tranny than an manual because the shift points are now firmer (higher torque band) and throttle lag much improved as well).
You'd be eligible for a full 12 month/ 12,000 warranty too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53083/99C53FCF3C644EC79494C25D9DA3C381.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2007, 03:40 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

I dont think theres much difference, you still need good quality gas to make either work right. Gas is watered down crap, they are selling 87 octane in the 93 tanks and ripping us off.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:51 PM
WuStangKlan
I ♥ Acer

It's posts like this that have kept me from getting a CAI and tune even though most people think they are great. xbone - you say you went 10mph faster without the CAI and tune? Is there a reason for this? Are you missing the tune at all?

The injectors were replaced as a courtesy because there is a new version available that prevents leakdown and the tech thought it wasa good idea to rule them out, there was nothing apparently wrong with them. The only other mods on the car are GTA mufflers. Brenspeed told me "Mustangs go thru alot of spark plugs" and "these cars are mass produced with alot of faulty parts."Make of that what you will. For 3 out of 8 plugs to be burned up means there is more than one cylinders plug being affected, so i doubt i had 3 bad injectors at the same time. The only thing that adds up is the common denominator of the 93 octane tune. The car is running strong with the new plugs and a stock tune and intake, i hit 144 mph which is about 10 mph faster than with the CAI and 93 tune. I think ill forget about the intake and tuner and sell them off, the only thing that adds up to burn up the plugs is the advanced timing in the 93 tune.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:15 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

I've went from my 87 tune to the 93 tune and felt no difference. i've ran 89 octane on a91 tune, short time, with no pinging at all. I have my 91 tune and i get 89 and 93 octane here and there to balance it out with no problems. They might have fudged up your tuning program on your tuner. might have made it way to aggressive accidentlly or something.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:18 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

I just installed the cai and the 87 tune and drove the car, did a speed run up to 130 and the car started blubbering, running out of steam. This setup is costing me speed, gas mileage and reliability,and brenspeed claims its the same tune they run on an identical car. I am going back to stock and will live with a little less power off the line and slower throttle response but stronger topend than the brenspeed tunes.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:25 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

xbone wrote:
I just installed the cai and the 87 tune and drove the car, did a speed run up to 130 and the car started blubbering, running out of steam.
Must be nice. There is absolutely nowhere in this state where I would even think about those speeds - wayyyy too many unmarked cars.

Have you asked Brenspeed for advice about what might be happening?
Old 02-22-2007, 05:28 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

I dont think theres much difference, you still need good quality gas to make either work right. Gas is watered down crap, they are selling 87 octane in the 93 tanks and ripping us off.

Did you ever check out the list of "top tier gas stations" (just google that phrase and you'll find it right away)?
Shell, Hess & Texaco are on there (among some others that we don't have here in Jersey), and they are supposed to be superior qualitywise to other brands.
No, I wasn't born yesterday, and am a skeptic by nature, but is sure sounds like it makes a difference.......
Old 02-22-2007, 05:34 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Like i said in earlier posts, i called brenspeed and talked to Brent and he said no way could it be his tunes, he has the same car with this tune in his shop, mustangs go thru spark plugs like crazy, and mustangs are mass produced and full of cheap parts that must be my problem. In short, alot of blah blah blah and no real answers to why 3 out of 8 spark plugs melted down and spit themselves thru my valvetrain, thankfully not destroying the engine. For the record brenspeed left a bad taste in my mouth previously, they told me in an email that Mac mufflers were not too loud and i have no problems with them, right, they were noisy droning pieces of crap, when i told brenspeed they wiggled for awhile then offered to send me some 200 dollarPypes Violators in exchange, which i knew i didnt want.I sold the Macs and lost a hundred bucks, and still touted brenspeeds tunes even while my spark plugs were blowing chunks. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. Im keeping this car stock and selling this stuff, i have enough cars to work on, this car was supposed to be something reliable to cruise in. Facts are facts and brenspeeds tune made my car 10-15 mph slower top speed and burned up my sparkplugs.If you are not having trouble with this setup you are lucky but in 1500 miles thats what happened here.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:35 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

I think out of the hundreds of guys on here that are runningan Intake and a93 octane tune from any manufacturer, you are the only one with this problem. Get Brent to send you a new tune and see if that fixes it! I have been running strong with my 93 octane tune for about 9 months now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 fragged spark plugs with Brenspeed tune