Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 fragged spark plugs with Brenspeed tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 3 fragged spark plugs with Brenspeed tune

ORIGINAL: GT Newbie

Did you ever check out the list of "top tier gas stations" (just google that phrase and you'll find it right away)?
Shell, Hess & Texaco are on there (among some others that we don't have here in Jersey), and they are supposed to be superior qualitywise to other brands.
No, I wasn't born yesterday, and am a skeptic by nature, but is sure sounds like it makes a difference.......

When I used to work for a Mobil station in High School they told us the same thing. Around here there is Exxon/Mobil, Amoco, Shell, and actually Quicktrip is pretty good gas, it's when you start going places like Murphy, Caseys, Handee-Mart, etc that you will have more of a problem with lesser quality gas. The difference isn't the basic gas though. EVERYONE'S gas comes out of the same pipelines, they just each add a little or a lot to it to make it their own blend. I know the 93 octane at Mobil had fuel injector cleaner in it in addition to all the other crap.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:48 PM
stangmann
2nd Gear Member

dont think you should be worried about gas mileage at 130 mph just my 2cents
ORIGINAL: xbone

I just installed the cai and the 87 tune and drove the car, did a speed run up to 130 and the car started blubbering, running out of steam. This setup is costing me speed, gas mileage and reliability,and brenspeed claims its the same tune they run on an identical car. I am going back to stock and will live with a little less power off the line and slower throttle response but stronger topend than the brenspeed tunes.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:57 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangdude81

ORIGINAL: GT Newbie

Did you ever check out the list of "top tier gas stations" (just google that phrase and you'll find it right away)?
Shell, Hess & Texaco are on there (among some others that we don't have here in Jersey), and they are supposed to be superior qualitywise to other brands.
No, I wasn't born yesterday, and am a skeptic by nature, but is sure sounds like it makes a difference.......

When I used to work for a Mobil station in High School they told us the same thing. Around here there is Exxon/Mobil, Amoco, Shell, and actually Quicktrip is pretty good gas, it's when you start going places like Murphy, Caseys, Handee-Mart, etc that you will have more of a problem with lesser quality gas. The difference isn't the basic gas though. EVERYONE'S gas comes out of the same pipelines, they just each add a little or a lot to it to make it their own blend. I know the 93 octane at Mobil had fuel injector cleaner in it in addition to all the other crap.

Yeah, that's what I heard too, and even though I certainly don't believe everything I read (far from it!), I make it a point to fill 'er up at any of those "top tier" stations, and have never yet had the slightest problem with "pinging".
Could just be a coincidence, but then again, maybe not......
Old 02-22-2007, 06:01 PM
GTJUNKIE
2nd Gear Member

+1 I had his CAI and tune on my ride since two weeks after I took it home Im at 1500 now and still no problems.And as many times as I have talked to anyone at his shop I have never been told any bullshiznit. They always answer with knowledge or explain why or how something should or shouldn"t work.
ORIGINAL: jdback19

I think out of the hundreds of guys on here that are runningan Intake and a93 octane tune from any manufacturer, you are the only one with this problem. Get Brent to send you a new tune and see if that fixes it! I have been running strong with my 93 octane tune for about 9 months now.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:11 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Has anyone else experienced a drop in top speed with just a CAI & tune from brenspeed?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:13 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

where you buy your gas really does make a big difference. when i was driving my 12:1 II to work every day i noticed a BIG difference between citgo/shell/walmart and chevron/union 76/circle K (circle k gas is unicol 76)

anyways i could run 93 and *barely* hear it ping when i was under a load with the chevron gas but when i'd get it from shell or citgo it would ping like hell. also, if gas sits its gonna go bad so make sure the station your buying from actually has enough customers to move some of that 93 in and out of their tanks.

lastly, dont buy gas while the truck is there (and you'll never know if it just left but that screws ya too) because while their filling its stirring the tanks up and ALL gas stations have water in the tanks. this could easily be the cause of your problem.

my personal solution for when i finally get my tuner will be to run the 91 tune with quality 93 gas
Old 02-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I had a chip from SCT that went bad after about 4 years. The car wouldn't idle, run very good or would just stall going down the road. I spoke with SCT and they basically said that sometimes computer things go bad. It cost me $12.50 to send it back to them and they replaced the chip.

I would talk to the brenspeed people and see if you can send in your programmer in exchange for a new one.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xbone

Its noticeably faster top speedstockthan with the brenspeed tune and cai, probably a bit slower 0-60.
Yeah going 144 instead of 134 is really important. Three burnt spark plugs wouldn't make a difference in top speed. I sure wouldn't buy a car from you, much less a CAI and tuner. LOL!
Old 02-22-2007, 07:38 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

Must be nice. There is absolutely nowhere in this state where I would even think about those speeds - wayyyy too many unmarked cars.
You must live in Florida
Old 02-22-2007, 08:03 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

I've been running Brent's 93 tune for about 15k miles. It's a monster. Zero problems. There has been some reports of a few lean tunes that were adjusted, but with mail order tunes, you should go to a dyno just to check out A/F ratio. I have to say this is the first report I've seen with this type of trouble.

Quick Reply: 3 fragged spark plugs with Brenspeed tune