Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All I can say is WOW! Brenspeed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:08 AM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: All I can say is WOW! Brenspeed!

Xbone -

If you have a cold air kit, you may want to remove it before you attempt to blank out the PCM. I don't know if brenspeed gives you the ability to return your PCM cal back to stock. If not, you may likely need a dealer's help. There are ways to get yourself a new PCM; it is covered under Fed emissions warranty of 8/80.
Although the tune may be calibrated for the MAF, if the MAF does not accurately measure the amount of air entering the engine at the top end (on the low side. In other words, it does not see all the air the engine sucks in and consequently does not tell the PCM to add enough fuel) you will detonate. This is actually rather common, especially with aftermarket intake systems. It could be something as simple as a contaminated MAF or something as complicated as the turbulence of the air as it moves through the system. Either way my friend, your lean condition is not the product of a vacuum leak. A vac leak would make the lean condition most severe at idle (high intake vacuum). Typically you melt plugs under high load, high RPM conditions because the detonations occur more often - and are more intense. Your cylinder temps (as well as pressures) are as high as they can possibly be at maximum RPM.
Keep in mind you may have a plugged fuel filter, worn pump, bad fuel pump driver module ground, et cetera. However, given how intrusive this type of condition may be - Your best bet is to return it as close to stock as possible and remove your plugs often for an inspection.
I had a very long discussion with Brent (congrats BTW) in regards to his tunes. There are only certain things a guy like him will discuss with a Joe; let alone a Joe that works for Ford. However, I think the guy is smart and has good intentions. I DO NOT believe he is incapable of making a mistake. Perhaps there is an issue with your tune, perhaps not - but there is no sense inunconventional diagnostics with a bunch of go fast voodoo in place. ANY sharp,coherent dealer will tell you the same, but it will likely come out like "hey buddy- It's modified. It's not warrantable and I won't work on it until you return it to stock..."
Optimism - You are at least smart enough to be resonable and have your car looked at immediately after noticing a problem. Good luck buddy!
Old 02-23-2007, 11:20 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Shaner, in regards to the intake everything was hooked up right and tight, no air leaks. The filter was clean. I flashed the stock tune back in the carno problem. Only thing that i definitely know is its running strong after the new plugs with a stock tune, i put the cai back on with the 87 brenspeed tune and drove it, ran like crap. Flashed back to stock and stock intake, carruns perfect. No doubt in my mind its the tune. Im not here to bash brenspeed, no doubt he has lots of happy customers (i was one at first) with no problems, just pointing out what happened in my case. Cant afford to wreck my engine and screw my warranty because other people think brenspeed tunes are perfect, theyre not in every case.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:52 AM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Unfortunate but very interesting. I don't think anyone can argue with your findings. The logic in your testing is rather infallable. I think everyone should learn from your example - there are risks involved with modifying your vehicle regardless of how reputable the products you use may be. Glad to hear you got a handle on it! Keep us informed and feel free to ask for any help you think I may be able to provide.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:00 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Shaner, whats up with my tech telling me about updated injectors? Supposedly they have upgraded them to prevent fuel leakthrough that was causing hard starts.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:03 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i would think that with all the business this place throws at brent he would at least buy ya a few spark plugs..... our course i would want a whole set cause you dont know if others have damage unseen with the naked eye and another one could go poof at any time.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:05 PM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

Brent is super, there customer service is top notch. +1

07 GT
Old 02-23-2007, 12:08 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Repairs were done under warranty. I think he should buy my cai/tuner back and examine it for flaws. Serious engine damage could have occured, and thankfully didnt. No doubt in my mind the tunes are incorrect for my car. If you remember i posted a month or so ago about how my car was running slow on the top end, and asked what other people were running for speeds. Fact is i didnt realize the brenspeed tune was wrong from the start, it only took less than 1500 miles to eat the plugs. This is not that complicated, the tune is too lean, but i dont have any dyno results to "prove it" like some here are demanding. I think brenspeed should "prove" their tune is not to blame instead of out of hand dismissing the problem to Fords lack of quality.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2oo5stang

I got my Xcal2 from them and it got here fast, they had to fix my tunes cause when i took the MVT out of my CAI, it was WAY to much airflow, and i asked brent if that could be the problem, and he said yes and sent me out 3 new tunes with the MVT back in the CAI that day. So far it's thumbs up for me

Congrats Brent & his family!!!
I remember your other post about losing power in 3rd gear, and I'll tell you that it's BS and you got a bum tune from Brenspeed. I'm running the AirAid intake as well, but using theFREE tune from DiabloSport without the MVT. I noticed a significant increase in power and ran both with and without the MVT (different tunes of course). You should gain power without the MVT...leaving that in is similar to running the stock intake with a cone filter because the MVT creates a bottleneck the size of the diameter of the stock intake tube.

I think he gave you a bum tune without the MVT, and his stock intake tune is what you're running nowto tell the truth (plus a little timing advance).
Old 02-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Xbone get on the line now and get a return and you will feel better. Furthermore I have this canned tune that can work in anybody's SCT. Give me a email or a friends and I will send it to you. All you need to do is download live wire and hook up your sct to your p.c. and we can make the transition. One day when you are ready you can try it out again. Take care dude and give brenspeed a chance to make it right.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:13 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

i would think that with all the business this place throws at brent he would at least buy ya a few spark plugs..... our course i would want a whole set cause you dont know if others have damage unseen with the naked eye and another one could go poof at any time.
I am not disagreeing with XBONE by any means...but for Brenspeed or any other company to toss in a few free plugs would be the admittance and or acceptance of liability without the necessary proof. Would you want to put that on your business name...its like in my business...if someone calls me and states they had a bad meal or bad service, I am more inclined to buy them a free drink or even a free meal....however if someone claims they got food poisoning, I will not because then I would be accepting liability without proof. Just as How does Brent not know that maybe the customer didnt mess with the adjustable parameters on his XCAL (Which again, I am not implying that XBONE did nor do I think he did) and that casued the issue,.or bought the wrong fuel etc....its like in food poisoning the customer could ahve aten or drank something else....or heck maybe the guest shook hands with someone who did not wash them after using a bathroom etc...you get the point...I am glad to hear everyone defend Brenspeed and not because I have any personal interest in them..its just sometimes people tend to forget what we are doing to our cars...we are modding them....basically, regardless of what any expert tells you if you mod your car, then you accept the responsibility of that mod....
Glad to hear the original poster is very happy with Brenspeed...congrats and good luck

Quick Reply: All I can say is WOW! Brenspeed!