Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

See ya Saleen!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:45 AM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: See ya Saleen!

For me, I'm stuck between the KB, Whipple, and Saleen. Can't decide which one, though it will be a while(1+years) before throwing a S/C on. Then again someone tell me why JDM holds the fastest Twin Screw 1/4 with a 10.2?????

Any ways, good luck with the Whipple, especially since it's gonna be polished it will look damn nice in the engine bay. Plus it comes with everything you need, ie plugs, injectors, fuel pump, etc. Have fun with it, and make sure to do a write up!!

- Justin
Old 02-25-2007, 12:41 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

I agree that you have to compare apples with apples. But I have driven a 06 GT with a Saleen SC. I do not know the details of the setup simply because the dealer did not know. Most likely it was the stock tune; low boost.

I was totally unimpressed. The vehicle was no different than a stock GT other than it pulled hard in 3rd under very heavy throttle. Yeah thevehicle pulled super strong from 45 mph to 90 mph, but in reality that's not the spot where I want the power punch. I just didn't see the point of it given the expense for the stock setup.

Hand down however - for under-the-hood appearance, you can't beat the Saleen. For the others, the in-your-fact snout pulley looks too like something out of a back alley garage.

I'll probably end up with a Whipple if I do it. I am waiting however to see more dyno numbers, and understand more how it holds up as the miles rack up.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:13 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516

Well, today I decided to cancel my purchase and install of the 475hp Saleen supercharger. I have decided to go with the polished Whipple supercharger, polished manifold and crossover, and am having it installed and dyno-tuned by ST Motorsports, in San Bernardino, Ca, a Kenne Bell and Whipple factory authorized installer and tuner. After driving both the Saleen 475 and the 10.5 psi Whipple, all I can say is, "WOW! What a difference!" I drove the Saleen S281S/C at last Saturdays cruise and thought it was pretty awsome, but damn, after driving the Whipple, the difference is night and day. More power throughout the whole powerband, and instant response, unlike the Saleen which comes on only at near full throttle, and the inclusion of a Diablo Sport tuner with 5 custom tunes done by ST Motorsports beats the hell of of the Saleen deal I got. The Saleen comes with a conservative canned tune, and no dyno.
ST is doing full dyno tuning and including the 5 tunes in the Predator.
As an additional plus, with the Whipple supercharger as opposed to the Saleen, when you step on it, you get the classic blower whine, too!
I'll post pics when it's installed, along with the pics of the new Truefiber/Alliance247, 67 Shelby GT func tional ram air hood that is being painted along with my new cross drilled and slotted rotors from BrakeDesignsInc.com.
I love the wheels that are on your stang................looks sweet!
Old 02-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Thank you.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:22 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516

All the "not fair" ladies: Easy, I'm not busting your ***** or saying anything negative about what you may have. I'm saying that after personally driving a Whipple car(10 lbs.)and a Saleen car(7.5 lbs.), the difference is night and day, and the Whipple is far superior in my opinion. The Saleen boost comes on much later with the throttle beyond half pedal. The Whipple comes on around 1/4 pedal and is much more intense, plus the Whipple sounds great, whereas the Saleen is real quiet. Hell, even Ford Racing uses and sellsthe Whipple. Also fit and finish is real important to me. I regularly show my car, and want the best in appearance as well as performance.

I'm not saying the Saleen or any other is not good, butsince cost is not a factor for me, I'm going for the biggest payoff for my money.
Just thought I'd add my .02. I know Adam at ST Motorsports and he's a real up front guy. I ask him once about the differences between the Saleen, KB and Whipple. He told me that the Saleen was the most "street" friendly; it runs cooler because of the low boost, its quiet and its got ***** when you need it. The KB and Whipple are street/strip SCs and have a greater potential for power. But that power comes with a price because our cars get iffy on the bottom end over 475 rwhp, especially at high boost and high RPM. Since my car will only see the strip once or twice and I have no intention of buiding up the rotating assembly, I have the Saleen with 6# pulley. I dyno'd at 409 rwhp @ 6100 rpm with 5.5# boost, max torque 394 ft-lbs - which is nothing to sneeze at. In the 6 months I've had the SC I've had only one serious challenge street light to street light. It was a modded SRT8 and I sucked him so far up my intake tubes in the first 60' that he still probably hasn't seen daylight. Granted I'm sure I'd get my clock cleaned by a GT with a KB or Whipple with equal boost and driver - but I'm not sure I'd line up on the street with any one of our Mustang brethren anyway. But that's JMO and if I ever wanted a street/strip DD (taking for granted that money was not an issue), I'd probably go KB or Whipple.