Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my valve covers today

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:07 AM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Did my valve covers today

ORIGINAL: vocoat

Here's mine...going on a white GT with a polished whipple

[IMG]local://upfiles/31319/6E19F16147784E2180F693D791887890.jpg[/IMG]
Where did you get the decal? I've been trying to find it?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:28 AM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

Yes you can powder coat your valve covers. I got mine done by a shop in Aurora, IL for $90. They will mail them if you like. Got them back same day. I was able to reuse my gaskets. As noted earlier, if you're careful there should be no problem. Yes...painting them is cheaper and yields great results. I imagine there is some satisfaction in saying you did them yourself. You can also redo them if you don't like the color. There is a wide range of color choices if you go with powder coating. Mine are chrome with a clear coat, which makes them look like a polished silver. Without the clear coat they would look more chrome but would not be as durable a finish.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46110/2527731F8D68494197FC74E2C75EAEDA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/46110/E6EE1A18B9144081AF75A8A3395F6567.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-27-2007, 02:50 AM
SRT_what
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

Roughly how long would it take? When you get back from cali it would be sweet if u showed me how to do it this way i dont have to pay $200!!! lol . I really like the way it looks so im def. gunna do it , its just a matter of when and how, lol.

ORIGINAL: SRT_what

Honestly, I wouldn't powdercoat. Save your money and put it towards something else. I have $28 in my valve covers. That includes primer, paint, clear, acetone, scouring pad, masking tape, tack cloth and a pack of shop rags. As long as you take your time and do it right, the results are going to be comparable to powdercoating. Sure the paint won't be as durable, but aside from putting them back on the motor, when are you going to be messing with them. Plus, if you decide you don't like the color anymore, you can change it relatively easily. I'd feel much better about changing my mind on a $30 mod rather than a $150-$200 one. Just my $.02
Mike, to do it right, you really need to paint them through the course of the day and let them "cure" over night. I don't have a problem with you leavin your car here if you want.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

That includes primer, paint, clear, acetone, scouring pad, masking tape, tack cloth and a pack of shop rags. As long as you take your time and do it right, the results are going to be comparable to powdercoating.
Overkill!! First off, Acetone can actually pit magnesium, which the cam covers are made of, not aluminum. Use Lacquer Thinner instead to remove any gunk or oils. Second, clear coat is completely unnecessary. Also, primer is not needed on engine components. Instead, use a high heat engine paint in the color you want. Scouring pads are also not necessary. Everything including adhesive from factory stickers comes off with thinner. Remove the covers, clean them with laquer thinner, mask, paint. I've got 5 completely dried coats with no clear, and the total time was about 6-7 hours, on an 80 degree day. Mine are as good today as the day they were done.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:36 AM
SRT_what
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516

That includes primer, paint, clear, acetone, scouring pad, masking tape, tack cloth and a pack of shop rags. As long as you take your time and do it right, the results are going to be comparable to powdercoating.
Overkill!! First off, Acetone can actually pit magnesium, which the cam covers are made of, not aluminum. Use Lacquer Thinner instead to remove any gunk or oils. Second, clear coat is completely unnecessary. Also, primer is not needed on engine components. Instead, use a high heat engine paint in the color you want. Scouring pads are also not necessary. Everything including adhesive from factory stickers comes off with thinner. Remove the covers, clean them with laquer thinner, mask, paint. I've got 5 completely dried coats with no clear, and the total time was about 6-7 hours, on an 80 degree day. Mine are as good today as the day they were done.
I was just doing it the way I had done pieces previously. I didn't know the covers were magnesium until this thread, but they didn't pit. The paint spray can said to use their engine primer prior to spraying the color. Whether they just want to sell more product or not, I've always done it this way and the results are always 100%
Old 02-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516

I was just doing it the way I had done pieces previously. I didn't know the covers were magnesium until this thread, but they didn't pit. The paint spray can said to use their engine primer prior to spraying the color. Whether they just want to sell more product or not, I've always done it this way and the results are always 100%
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you didn't do it right at all. Most people think the cam covers are aluminum, and they are not. They are definitely magnesium, and that can pit when using acetone. Lacquer thinner is much less harsh, and will remove anything on them. Also, high temp engine paint doesn't need a primer undercoating to properly adhere, and dries quick in warm temps, and dries quicker without primers. You did a good job and they look great!