Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Questions.

I couldn't exactly think of a subject, so hopefully people will be lured in anyway. What I want to know is, what tools will be involved with a rear end gear swap/differential. Tools regarding finding backlash and whatever else, pretty much anything one would need. (minus basic hand tools.)

Secondly, is there any videos out there that shows you how to do the procedure. I'm in no rush to do it, but I'd like to do it myself and I would obviously have to do some research on it before I even started to unbolt things.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Questions.

It's atough job. Dial Indicator & Magnetic base for sure, you'd need press bearings. And to remove bearings. Torch sometimes to put on the ring gear. It's really a job for professionals. For one thing setting the pinion depth is a pain. Setting the preload is also a pain. Plus if you don't do it rightit will whine or clunk or blow. It's up to you but for the couple hundred a professional might charge you might chose them. It's easier for them if you have it out of car. Check with a race/speed/engine shop to find someone. At least you talk to the pro. More tools too; straight edge, depth gauge, torque wrench etc.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:59 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Here is what I used on mine, excluding the basic stuff:

dial indicator reading .0005"
mag base
torque wrench
puller set
bearing seperator
puller pilots
hydraulic press for bearing installation
install kit (shims, etc.)
machinst's straight-edge
micrometer depth gage
toolroom bench plate
Old 02-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I'm a pretty good wrench, and I wouldn't tackle a gear swap. I'm looking to get 4.10's. I'm paying a pro $280 to do it.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Well, I'm not sure I want gears. I've driven a car with 4.10s and really wasn't impressed. It might have been a psychological thing... Felt faster in my 3.55. (Could have been the two cars also, but at the time his car had more mods.) Anyway, how difficult is the differential install... and if I were to take it to a shop for just the differential, how much do you think it would cost?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:13 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The differential install is 95% the same as the gear change. You have to do most of the same work in either case. The only real difference is that you don't have to fool with the pinion depth if you are doing the diff only....but you still have to shim the carrier and check backlash.