Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S197 owners not real Mustang Enthusiasts??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 03:24 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default RE: S197 owners not real Mustang Enthusiasts??

Agree with everyone here that it was primarily the looks of the new 'Stang (followed closely by the performance and price), but that doesn't make me any less of a Mustang owner. I've owned Mopar (including the "Holy Grail" '71 'Cuda), BMW, Chevrolet, etc., but for me, I'm not so closed-minded that I only drive one brand. If I like a car, I buy it, regardless.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:30 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

My first Mustang was a brand new '69 fastback (see my gallery photos). I was young, had 2 small kids, then along came kid #3, had to sell mustang. I'm a lot older now but I'm not dead yet. I love the looks of my 07, it reminds me so much of my 69. These are my favorite Mustangs. I liked some of the others, like the Bullit version, but I didn't have the passion for any others like the 07. It just makes me feel so young. In that respect I'm a rabid Mustang fan. I bet no one likes every Mustang just because of the name on the car.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:32 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

Its pretty clear that many S197 owners are not real mustang enthusiasts, they just got the car for the looks. And it seems thatmany S197 owners dont like the other mustang models, like the Fox and SN platform. I believe its mostly because they got the car for the styling not becasue its a mustang.
Well, if you're gonna define a true mustang enthusiasts as someone who loves and/or appreciates ALL mustang year models, then answer me this: do you love/appreciate the Mustang II year models? I can tell you that almost no one does. But by your implied definition, that means that few of us are actually mustang enthusiasts.

And to further this, the 05 is my second mustang........and I have loved mustangs as long as I can remember. And FWIW, this same phenomenon happened when the restyled mustangs came out in 99......lots of first time V8 mustang owners who thought their s**t didn't stink. Hell, there are 2 or 3 New Edge GT guys where I live that are always acting an ***.......especially around non New Edge mustang year models. Should I conclude that ALL New Edge (99-04) mustang owners are ******??? Beware of making generalizations......especially about other mustang owners to mustang owners.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:33 PM
dborne
1st Gear Member

I've owned a 91 and 93 5.0's and now my '07 and besides mustangs the only thing I have ever owned is Ford. I don't plan on changing now.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:34 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Its pretty clear that many S197 owners are not real mustang enthusiasts, they just got the car for the looks. And it seems thatmany S197 owners dont like the other mustang models, like the Fox and SN platform. I believe its mostly because they got the car for the styling not becasue its a mustang.

I myself am a huge mustang guy, always wanted one and will continue to do so. My next one is coming up and it will be a 07 GT, good styling and its the only mustang that i can buy new. i would get a Cobra but you cant get them new anymore.

Just my opinion, not trying to **** people off, just wanted to hear others opinions on this subject.
What does "real mustang enthusiasts mean? what qualifies one as such? This is my second Mustang and I know not the last. I have always dreamed of Mustangs since a child and knew when time, money and the oppurtunity would arrive I would buy one. Not just a rust filled project car that I had no desire to rebuild or store while being built, but the Mustang I wanted at that time in my life and I could afford. Each time a waited until I saw and got the exact car,color etc I wanted as anyone should who is spending hard earned money on.

Not quite clear on why this thread was posted even though you state looking for opions...To each his own I guess.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:40 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

ORIGINAL: hottymustang

I would put a fire suit on if I were you.

Granted, this body style has gotten a great many people into mustangs that weren't previously. But you can't judge a book by its cover. There are also a great many mustang lovers (like myself) that are here. The problem is that it is the newbies to the mustang world that post up all the CAI, exhaust, (we all know what I am talking about). And that is what most people always see. For me, I come on and just look at the threads that interest me. I am looking for information that furthers my knowledge about my car, not to rehash everything I already know.

As for the people who you see on the streets that think they are the cats meow because they have a brand new mustang, doesn't this happen every time there is a new body style out? There will always be people that get a car because they think that it looks good. Why would you buy a car that you think is ugly? If a person wants to buy a car for that reason, then by all means let them get their car.

Because you have so many people that have gotten into the mustang world via the S197, they don't have the appreciation for the previous body styles. That is what you have to deal with in the car world. Not everyone likes every model year mustang.

This is very true!!! Now , I do not knock anyone who is a new comer to the Mustang world....aka S197. From what I have seen, allot of these new owners never gave the yester-year Mustang a second glance. ONCE AGAIN,I am Notknocking them....the more stang enthusiasts, the better. I am a die hard Ford/Mustang Fan! I worked at Ford dealers for over 13 years and still have my first new bought stang...89' 5.0 LX.

I little trivia for everyone..... If it wasn't for the fox (87'-93') there would be no Mustang today!Ford had full intentions to replace the Mustang with..........the Probe! Once everyone found out that the Fox was such a great "bang for the buck" they became the hottestcar on the streets in the late 80's early 90's !!

So, if you are new to the Mustang world or if you have been into them for some time now...I say Welcome aboard and JUST enjoy the car!!

Casey
Old 02-28-2007, 03:46 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

this is my 4th mustang all in the Fastest color Black
1976 Mustang II Mach 1
1983 Mustang GT
1991 Mustang GT
2006 Mustang GT
I've always been a Mustang enthusiasts, true I do like the looksof the 2006, but that's not the reason I
bought it, I've always liked Mustangs sinceday one. I bought all of them because they were Mustangs.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:48 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Looks like somebody missed naptime...

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

I myself am a huge mustang guy, always wanted one and will continue to do so. My next one is coming up and it will be a 07 GT, good styling and its the only mustang that i can buy new. i would get a Cobra but you cant get them new anymore.

Just my opinion, not trying to **** people off, just wanted to hear others opinions on this subject.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default Stickshifty = uninformed boob!!

dude... what is wrong with you.... did your parents ignore you as a child and you need attention no matter how you get it?

I owned an 89LX 5.0 for 7 years...was stolen..[:@] now I have an 06GT... in between I could not mange one.... guess that makes me an evil non-mustang lover..... you got me.....

Old 02-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

I was and still am achevy fanatic that has always appreciated most mustangs - even the foxes and new edges (except for the crampt interior). Not a fan of the II's or the SN95 at all. The reason behind the II's obvious...The SN95 looks too rounded and does nothave aggressive lookIMO.

I went for a S197 because i wanted a car that looked like a muscle car. I did not want a sports car nordidwant a musvle car power plant in a non muscle car body - camaro, gto, etc.

Asthetically the camaro got progressively worse looking over the years - especially '82 through their demise - they lost the musle car look. The newGTO has nothing asthetically pleasing.

The S197 is the perfect blend of muscle car appeal,respecctable power, above averagehandling, low priceAND itlooks great in my garage.

Quick Reply: S197 owners not real Mustang Enthusiasts??