Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ford & Mustang owner; off to rocky start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:34 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New Ford & Mustang owner; off to rocky start!

Hope this will hekp you:

I had the same exact vibration show up after they tried fixing my whining gears. They tried re-phasing the driveshaft - better but still there, Since the gears were still whining and the vibration was still there, they replaced the whole rear end. Guess what? whine improved (but not gone), vibration didn't. So that ruled out gears, bearings, etc. So they ordered a new driveshaft - actually made it worse. Service manager finally swapped the driveshaft with a couple GT's on the lot. After 3 tries, boom - vibration gone. So it took 3 driveshafts to find one that didn't vibrate. In addition to that, duting this whole process, I drove a couple new GT's on the lot to compare the gear whine to mine. I couldn't believe it, but not only did one of them have worse gear whine than mine, but BOTH had the same vibration at 70-75 moh. BRAND NEW, UNSOLD GT's. I would be friggin' pissed if my brand new car vibrated like that. Quality control at Ford is obviously not a priority.

Point is, if your car didn't vibrate before and it does now, it's a problem. The fact that lots of GT's vibrate doesn't make it a normal characteristic, as I'm sure at some point they'll try to tell you. It just means lots of them need to be fixed. Make them swap driveshafts till it's gone.

I still don't know what they did to my original driveshaft to make it start vibrating. Probably dropped it. Ihave becomeconvinced through this whole ordeal that the rears in these GT's have some serious design flaws. I mean, I dove 3 GT's and everyone had some level of whine, vibration, hum, etc. Drove two V6s, one with my tires on it (to prove to the dealer that the vibration wasn't my tires as they weer trying to tell me) - quiet. I've come to accept the noises and be thankful the vibration's gone and the car runs fine.The vibration, however, I wouldn't have been able to live with. Don't give up.If your dealer would like to talk to my service manager about the vibration and how he fixed it, just have him call Capital Ford in Raleigh and ask for the service manager. Just have hime mention the 06 GT with the vibrating driveshaft - believe me he'll know. PM me if you want more info.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:37 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

ORIGINAL: chronism

Suggestions on how to proceed will be appreciated.

Here is my story...

I took delivery of my 07 Stang GT little over a week ago, last weekend to be exact. Took it easy the first 500 miles per break-in. My car didn't have MyColor so I bought and had them installed three days later. After reaching 500 miles, I took it on the highway and eventualy around the 65-70mph mark. That's when trouble started. Noticed some harmonic vibration. Took it in one week after purchased and they test drove with me and said driveshaft. Left there and replaced driveshaft. Picked it up, test drove, a little better, but still noticable.

Next morning something popped under the car and it got worse again. Took it back in yesterday, tet drove with serv. manager and left it. They test drove another new Stang and it didn't have the vibration. They said they couldn't put their finger on it and were awaiting response from Ford with sugestions or a TSB. That's where I stand. Tonight I finally got a loaner from them and I spoke with the dealership manager and expressed my disgust in buying a new car, first Ford, and having such an issue within a week.

The car has spent more time in the shop than my driveway, and all within the first week. I can just see Ford coming back and saying I have to live with it. Would something like this qualify for lemon laws? I understand to give them time to make it right, but dang, to go through this already, it's not looking good. How should I proceed with protecting myself from getting screwed?
I appreciate your frustration, though you may not appreciate my reply: You've correctly taken the first by returning the car for warranty service, elbeit unfortunately after only one week of having taken posession of it (A little QA goes a long way).

Though taking your frustration out on either them or on Ford, in general, wont help them realize what the problem is. It's fairly reasonable to assume that they'll do what they can to repair the problem. And when they call you to pick up your ride, take the mechanic who's name is on the service ticket for a test drive, if he/she's available. If not, offer the Service Manager a test drive. If it fails again politely ask how long you should have to put-up with the problem until a whole new car replacement is warranted; that is, if you truely still want to stick with the Mustang. Else, speak with your sales person to determine whether you can back-out of the purchase entirely.

It sucks that your car isn't top notch, especially being brand new and not even having been test driven (lot car driven by prospective buyers or dealership employees).

Good luck and I hope everything turns-out for ya.

Take care.
Your reply is greatly appreciated and doesn't offend me at all. Maybe my post came off a little strong, but I have not taken any frustration out on anyone yet. They service advisor has been great so far and seems to understand so far. I simply told the manager the situation being the second trip so he is not blind sided if/when it gets to a third or worse. I have every intention to let them make it right, it just sucks the excitement right out of buying a new car, a Mustang GT with all of the hassel.

Now as far as if it doesn't get fixed and I am given a choice to get a new car, I would have to take a new Stang. For one, I love the car other than that. Second, given I traded in another vehicle towards it and had a small amount of neg. equity, I don't know what would happen if I chose to walk away. Ideally, I want a Stang, just one that has no problems.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:43 PM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

Im so use to my old cars, that when I drive this one it could make noises and I probably wouldnt blink a eye.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

Hope this will hekp you:

I had the same exact vibration show up after they tried fixing my whining gears. They tried re-phasing the driveshaft - better but still there, Since the gears were still whining and the vibration was still there, they replaced the whole rear end. Guess what? whine improved (but not gone), vibration didn't. So that ruled out gears, bearings, etc. So they ordered a new driveshaft - actually made it worse. Service manager finally swapped the driveshaft with a couple GT's on the lot. After 3 tries, boom - vibration gone. So it took 3 driveshafts to find one that didn't vibrate. In addition to that, duting this whole process, I drove a couple new GT's on the lot to compare the gear whine to mine. I couldn't believe it, but not only did one of them have worse gear whine than mine, but BOTH had the same vibration at 70-75 moh. BRAND NEW, UNSOLD GT's. I would be friggin' pissed if my brand new car vibrated like that. Quality control at Ford is obviously not a priority.

Point is, if your car didn't vibrate before and it does now, it's a problem. The fact that lots of GT's vibrate doesn't make it a normal characteristic, as I'm sure at some point they'll try to tell you. It just means lots of them need to be fixed. Make them swap driveshafts till it's gone.

I still don't know what they did to my original driveshaft to make it start vibrating. Probably dropped it. I have become convinced through this whole ordeal that the rears in these GT's have some serious design flaws. I mean, I dove 3 GT's and everyone had some level of whine, vibration, hum, etc. Drove two V6s, one with my tires on it (to prove to the dealer that the vibration wasn't my tires as they weer trying to tell me) - quiet. I've come to accept the noises and be thankful the vibration's gone and the car runs fine.The vibration, however, I wouldn't have been able to live with. Don't give up. If your dealer would like to talk to my service manager about the vibration and how he fixed it, just have him call Capital Ford in Raleigh and ask for the service manager. Just have hime mention the 06 GT with the vibrating driveshaft - believe me he'll know. PM me if you want more info.
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. I've noticed the whine when accelerating hard, but I've always heard that is sorta ordinary. The vibration is something I can't live with. My luck I got two new drive shafts that were bad? Maybe. Not sure if it would have done it from milage 0 because I didn't even drive above 55-60 until 500 miles, the time that I noticed it, the first time I did drive 65-70. The fact that the techs. drove another new GT off the lot and didn't notice any vibration and aknowledged that goes into my favor I guess.

Lemon laws in Va. state 3 times for the same problem within the first 18 months. I'm on #2 within 1.5 weeks. I'm not out to get a new car, I love the one I have minus the vibration. I just don't want to be one of those cases that get stuck with a not so perfect new car.

I appreciate the feedback. This forum has been a big help and support with this newbie Mustang owner.

Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:50 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and want to keep it, just want it "right".
You shouldn't feel the need to be defensive about this. You should have received a farhigherquality vehicle than the one you were given.

The hood scoop should have nothing to do with it. Most likely, as suggested, it is a drivershaft or rear end issue.

It probably will not go anywhere, but I would begin speaking immediately with the dealer powers-to-be [probably the sales manager] and start moaning about wanting / demanding another new GT in place of the one you have been given. 500 miles and then this - it's B/S; there's no justification for it at all.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:01 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mail906

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and want to keep it, just want it "right".
You shouldn't feel the need to be defensive about this. You should have received a far higher quality vehicle than the one you were given.

The hood scoop should have nothing to do with it. Most likely, as suggested, it is a drivershaft or rear end issue.

It probably will not go anywhere, but I would begin speaking immediately with the dealer powers-to-be [probably the sales manager] and start moaning about wanting / demanding another new GT in place of the one you have been given. 500 miles and then this - it's B/S; there's no justification for it at all.

I actually did speak with the sales manager I dealt with when I bought it. I didn't demand anything yet, but let him know that I was not a happy camper basically and was bringing him into the loop in case things progressed. He stated to give the service team a chance, but he would do everything he could to make it right. If it doesn't get fixed this time and I have to come back, I will then make my argument for a new GT. I've already gather the Better Business Bureau and numbers for Va. Lemon Law contacts, etc....just in case.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:06 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Lemon laws in Va. state 3 times for the same problem within the first 18 months. I'm on #2 within 1.5 weeks. I'm not out to get a new car, I love the one I have minus the vibration. I just don't want to be one of those cases that get stuck with a not so perfect new car.

I appreciate the feedback. This forum has been a big help and support with this newbie Mustang owner.

Thanks again.
Just curious, which Ford Dealership did you purchase your car from in VA?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

no offense but for some reason we are facing problems with these mustangs and its said, mine too has spent too much of the last two months in the dealer with less than 3k. In my state they have the third is last time to fix it and if the person has to come in the 4th time, time fore the lemon law, so just be patient, they got 2 strikes already so ur halfway there lol
Old 03-01-2007, 06:17 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Be sure to check for my previous posts on my experience with my lemon for any info I may not remember here.
I strongly urge you not to get attached to your new car! I did and when the check engine light came on and the Ford techs couldn't figure out how to fix it my 5 month old GT spent 6 weeks at the dealership before they gave me a new engine. I had a POS Ford Escape that smelled weird for a loaner. But there were plenty of other problems that still haven't been resolved!
Ford is making a LOT of these Mustangs so there are bound to be some lemons. If your state's lemon law is like Calif's you can demand they buy back your car after it is in the shop for the same problem for 30 days. Do it!
I kept mine because it was so difficult to get, there were no similar GT's on their lot and they threw an extended warranty in.
Follow the previous advice on dealing with the service advisors. Never leave without a full walk around of your Mustang, looking for scratches, grease, blood (I found it in my engine compartment!) and the test drive with the service advisor or mechanic is a great idea for this type of problem!
Good luck and remember, there will always be another Mustang to buy that will work!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:29 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

...and remember, there will always be another Mustang to buy that will work!
After my experience driving 3 new GT's all having varying noises and vibrations, I'm not so sure a new one will not have problems also. In fact, that is what ultimately made up my mind not to go the lemon law route. IMO, there's a high probability you'll have the same or diferent issues with a new one. I think many of these problems (gear whine, vibration) are more common than we realize, and many, perhaps most owners just don't notice them, accept them as normal, or just can't be bothered to go through the process of getting it fixed.The membersof these forums are well informed enthusiasts who pay close attention to their vehicle, but we are still a small minority of overall owners, most of which aren't so in tune with their cars.

I'd give serious thought before deciding on lemon law. Imagine how you'd feel if the new one had similar or different problems. IMO, either get this one fixed or lemon law wth the intent to buy a non-Ford.

Quick Reply: New Ford & Mustang owner; off to rocky start!