Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning C&L CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:09 PM
RICAKILLA
2nd Gear Member

Default Cleaning C&L CAI

Just wondering, can i use the K&N filter cleaner and oil or do i need a speshul one?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cleaning C&L CAI

No buddy, just use the K&N Filter recharge kit. I do on mine and have the C&L exactly as yours. Looks like a K&N filter with "C&L" on the end to me. Do make sure you wash from the inside out rinsing the old oil out after soaking in the cleaner a bit.

Dont get to wild with the oil for sure, and if you can do this in the evening and let the car stay parked over night before you drive it, if you cant its cool.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Warlok

No buddy, just use the K&N Filter recharge kit. I do on mine and have the C&L exactly as yours. Looks like a K&N filter with "C&L" on the end to me. Do make sure you wash from the inside out rinsing the old oil out after soaking in the cleaner a bit.

Dont get to wild with the oil for sure, and if you can do this in the evening and let the car stay parked over night before you drive it, if you cant its cool.
hmmm, could u give a short walk through of what you have to do to clean it? i did a search and nothing really came up. and how often do you have to clean it?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

It's dead simple.

Take the filter off the car. Brush off any big debris, dead bugs, etc, that might be stuck to it.

Spray the filter with some filter cleaner. (it's in the K&N kit that was mentioned above). If you don't have any filter cleaner you can use a solution of dish soap and water. Get the filter wet with the cleaner and let it soak for a while.

Rinse the filter out. You want the water to be running from the inside direction out, so it washes the dirt out of the filter instead of further into it. Rinse it well. At this point the filter should be more of a white color instead of the "red" imparted by the oil.

Let the filter dry. I suggest putting it in the sun for a couple hours.

Re-oil the filter using a spray bottle of filter oil. Spray the oil on and let it sit for a few min. Be careful not to over-oil it. It's better to put on a little oil and then re-apply some later rather than over-oiling it from the beginning.

Put back on your car!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

It's dead simple.

Take the filter off the car. Brush off any big debris, dead bugs, etc, that might be stuck to it.

Spray the filter with some filter cleaner. (it's in the K&N kit that was mentioned above). If you don't have any filter cleaner you can use a solution of dish soap and water. Get the filter wet with the cleaner and let it soak for a while.

Rinse the filter out. You want the water to be running from the inside direction out, so it washes the dirt out of the filter instead of further into it. Rinse it well. At this point the filter should be more of a white color instead of the "red" imparted by the oil.

Let the filter dry. I suggest putting it in the sun for a couple hours.

Re-oil the filter using a spray bottle of filter oil. Spray the oil on and let it sit for a few min. Be careful not to over-oil it. It's better to put on a little oil and then re-apply some later rather than over-oiling it from the beginning.

Put back on your car!
thanks [sm=thanx.gif]

oh and how often should i do this?