Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So WHY can't Ford........

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:54 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: So WHY can't Ford........

yep. buy a $28,000 and a $6,000 S/C = $34000 and you have 450HP at the wheels...thats about 100 more than the camaro will have...and still a lot cheaper...
Old 03-02-2007, 05:55 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: thxultra

I like that ford has many different models for the mustang. I actually chose the GT because of its gas mileage over the GTO and it doesn't take preimum. If you want more power thier is always the GT500. Also the Boss that is comming is going to have 400hp.
I think I read somewhere that they are only making like 2,500 so if that is true they will be extremely expensive.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:05 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

The GT is a baseline for the rest of the Mustang models and has always had less power than the Boss, Mach, Shelby etc etc etc. I am sure if the Camaro was still in production, Ford would have had the Boss and Shelby out alot earlier than they planned. With the new Camaro coming out, it is already out pricing alot of it's potential customers. People might be able to afford the car but insurance is going to kill them. I don't really see the Camaro selling near as many cars as Ford has with the Mustang. At least Ford has a middle of the road power at a middle of the road price. The Camaro is either going to have a V6 for a cheaper price or a V8 that will be over priced. Where is the middle of the road for Camaro? I say let Ford do it's thing the way they have been at a cost that is affordable to most.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:31 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I think most people have got it down just fine....it's not that Ford can't make a Mustang with 400+ HP, it's that they choose not to do so....for reasons of price and fuel economy. The Mustang has always been a relatively low-priced car. Delivering good performance for a fairly low price has been a Mustang trait for many years.

Ford certainly could have used a larger engine or a "fancier" option like a supecharger, but that would increase the price of the car significantly. It would also increase the insurance cost of the car, meaning that they'd be reducing the number of potential customers. Don't forget that with that much HP, your fuel economy wouldn't be nearly as good. That would cost them more customers and hurt their Corporate Average Fuel Economy numbers as well.

Ford made a decision to put the HP at a point where the car is still very powerful, but isn't beyond the reach of most customers.

If you want more power, just go buy a supercharger and be done with it.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:45 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Everyone has got the right answer so far I think.

Now of course, some will say if they threw a supercharger on a 400HP Camaro then it would be a supercharged GT. BUT...the Mustang will still be the better looking, better selling, better performing and more reliable car. Not the Camaro. If anyone buys the Camaro, it's because they want the power and they CAN afford itor they want to own one because they know that production will end real quick. Same deal with the GTO...those that have them just wanted to have a limited production car, lots of power or for someodd reason thought they looked good [:-]

Right now, American automakers are not making the business we used to thanks to Honda, Toyota and all those cheap import Hybrid companies. Everyone is getting the idea of cheap, fuel efficient, reliable cars. Well, I personally don't think these cars are very reliable. Think...Mustang VS. Honda Civic in a head on collision or a side swipe... Who's gonna win? Those dinky little Hondas and hybrids are so light and flimsy lol. It's up to Ford to make a car that people still know and love and will always want, but they need to somehow make them somewhat affordable, somewhat good on gas, and somewhat AWESOME at performance and power. Which is why there are sooooo many options available to mod our cars. I think GM is just worried about trying to be the best and not thinking about what's smart and logical.

Just remember...you love your Mustang and wouldn't have it any other way
Old 03-02-2007, 07:20 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dborne

yea but look at how much cheaper the stangs are
Exactly! ...and it all comes down to money. The Stang is supposed to be the affordable, working man's hot rod, a bargain, mod it if you like to get it faster, or leave it as is, but to get extra power from the factory like those other cars, the Mustang will not be what its all about like I mentioned above. The high HP is the Shelby GT 500, and the special editions that command the high dollars. If you want those, you gotta pay extra, its that simple.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

I was just wondering why ford can not make a Mustang GT with something crazy like 400 hp from the factory.
They can and they do, it's called the Shelby 500, and the MSRP is actually reasonable, but the demand is insane.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:46 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

If you bought a new GT and put in the 5.6 l engine it would still be cheaper than the camaro or GTO so if your goal is more hp n/a then add a new motor and be glad ford made the mustang so cheap.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06SaLeEn

Well all the cars that came before the 05 GT+, Z28--Gone, SS--Gone,GTO--Gone,WS6--Gone.

There is a reason mustang is still around. Cheap peformance! You can do a few mods (less than 2k) and out peform, a stock Z28,SS,WS6 and the heavy GTO......

Ford is about making money,reliable cheap product....

Well said Sir!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

I agree with everything that's been said so far. Also remember that the new Mustang will also have 400HP.

Quick Reply: So WHY can't Ford........