Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misaligned license plate help and frame choices.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 07:44 PM
HDmstng
1st Gear Member

Default Misaligned license plate help and frame choices.

The dealer installed my new plates but the plate hangs crooked, down ~1/4" on the drivers side. It's not much, but I pick the detail out pretty easily. If I try and reattach the screw that is slightly lower to make it straight, the new hole is going to auger into the old one. Plus me just messing around with it, the passanger side screw is stripped out a little now too. Luckily the lower screws weren't installed, so I can use those as well.

The option of taking it back to the dealer is still on the table, any other thoughts? Every few years a new plate will need to be installed, so a better solution that self-taping screws in the bumper is going to be needed. Haven't tried to get up behind the bumper just yet, might be able to attach some bolts or a backing plate behind the bumper.

Still trying to decide which license plate frame to go with, it's down to the powder coated black or the chrome one with the pony center, although the GT logo is in the running too. They also come with stainless steel security screws, and since these aren't exactly cheap, seems like a prudent investment. Do need to find out if the security screws come in black to match the black plate. What would be really cool would be a two-toned chrome/black powder coat that would match up with the rear deck badge emblem! [8D]

Old 03-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Misaligned license plate help and frame choices.

Ya that would drive me nuts. I stressedit alot to my dealer to make them even and level. They did. To your problem I wouldn't drill another hole, then you'd have one big hole and need a big screw. Your limited with that holder you have with inset screws. Get rid of that and get a nice chrome one with flat/level hole surface. Usually they have a big enough hole to move around but you can always enlarge the hole a little. Do the same on the license plate and use chrome or stainless washer to cover the bigger hole. Should look great.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:12 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Misaligned license plate help and frame choices.

ORIGINAL: HDmstng

The dealer installed my new plates but the plate hangs crooked, down ~1/4" on the drivers side. It's not much, but I pick the detail out pretty easily. If I try and reattach the screw that is slightly lower to make it straight, the new hole is going to auger into the old one. Plus me just messing around with it, the passanger side screw is stripped out a little now too. Luckily the lower screws weren't installed, so I can use those as well.

The option of taking it back to the dealer is still on the table, any other thoughts? Every few years a new plate will need to be installed, so a better solution that self-taping screws in the bumper is going to be needed. Haven't tried to get up behind the bumper just yet, might be able to attach some bolts or a backing plate behind the bumper.

Still trying to decide which license plate frame to go with, it's down to the powder coated black or the chrome one with the pony center, although the GT logo is in the running too. They also come with stainless steel security screws, and since these aren't exactly cheap, seems like a prudent investment. Do need to find out if the security screws come in black to match the black plate. What would be really cool would be a two-toned chrome/black powder coat that would match up with the rear deck badge emblem! [8D]

the jerk offs did the same **** to me, so now i need to make another hole, and i havent gotten around to it, but it hangs down from the left