Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car cover question[s]

Old 03-05-2007, 12:56 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: car cover question[s]

Cool! So what do you use to wipe down the thin layer of whatever it is before you put the cover back on?One of those big dusters and maybe a cloth of some sort? I'd probably wipe the brake dust off as well.

One thing I forgot to ask,when it is wet out, do you have to dry the car after you remove the cover?

Thanks everybody for all your help!
Old 03-05-2007, 01:03 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I use a microfiber towel and BTW, you can purchase a pack of 25 at Sam's Club for around $11.00. Also I use detailer sprays like Mequires in between washing. Be it or not, I have yet to wash the car since it was purchased back in Dec. Needless to say, I never drive it in the rain.

I would not recommend putting a dry cover on a wet car. You could damage the paint, especially if you use a car cover that doesn't allow moisture to seep through. It is best to make sure the car is completely dry before you cover it.

What part of Northern VA do you live in? I live down here in the Tidewater area Va. Bch/Norfolk/Chesapeake.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:17 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

The NOAH covers breathe, so you can use a dry cover on a wet car though I try not to do it. Conversely, if the cover is wet when you remove it, the car will be wet, too....though just slightly. Once the cover dries in the sun, the car is dry almost at the same time.

I'm in McLean, but wife is from Chesapeake and Mom lived in Princess Anne so I am quite familiar with Tidewater. Spending a lot of time these days at our waterfront cottage on the northern neck. Another member/GT vert owner here also lives on the northern neck......
Old 03-05-2007, 01:30 PM
dafeesh
1st Gear Member

It's just my 2 cents but I used to cover my motorcycle on a daily basis. For a bike the cover makes a lot of sense because the internals are a bit more exposed to the elements. But for a car, the constant covering and uncovering would be more hell on the finish of your paint over time than the elements could ever be. No matter how carefull you are with the cover, it will get dirty. Rain will splash bits of sand and dirt up onto it. And there will be areas on the car that will get rubbed on a daily basis. I had an expensive cover $90 + for a bike cover, and it still dulled the paint in the high friction areas after only one summer up in MA.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:43 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dafeesh

It's just my 2 cents but I used to cover my motorcycle on a daily basis. For a bike the cover makes a lot of sense because the internals are a bit more exposed to the elements. But for a car, the constant covering and uncovering would be more hell on the finish of your paint over time than the elements could ever be. No matter how carefull you are with the cover, it will get dirty. Rain will splash bits of sand and dirt up onto it. And there will be areas on the car that will get rubbed on a daily basis. I had an expensive cover $90 + for a bike cover, and it still dulled the paint in the high friction areas after only one summer up in MA.
Good point and you are right. The reason I cover mine is to help keep water spots from forming after amorning with heavydew. Also, it cuts down on the "runs" from the stuff I use on the black trim. Seems like when they get wet, you see the protectent run down on your paint. I also think it helps protect the interior from fading. Not only that but think about bird crap on the paint of your car baking in the hot sun while you are away or at work. I had to go out of town this weekend so I kept the car cover on it.....good thing because some bird had a case of diarrhea on the cover but it did not go through!
I used a car cover on my '82 Mustang GT religiously (and yes, I was annal and covered it when I went shopping) and it paid off in the end. I sold it to a car collector who dropped his jaw when he saw the car for the first time. He said it looked just like a brand new car!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:41 AM
lauren_24

A friend have jeep bestop car cover, i can see he's satisfied with the cover,. Never heard any complaints about it.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:19 AM
GTTED
1st Gear Member

I also have the Noah cover. It works great. Takes about 1 min. to put on once you have the system down. The cover comes with an antennae grommet. You locate the antennae make a hole then install the grommet. The cover dries rapidly whether its on the car or folded in the garage. Paid around $200 on E-bay, well worth it.
ORIGINAL: 6xStang

I have custom fit Noah car covers for all of my cars (except the mustang since that still gets garage preference). I've used them on and off for years (in Northern VA) with great success. Custom fit is the only way to go. A NOAH custom fit will run you around $200.

I recommend that the car IS spotless before you cover it. If you put a small piece of dirt between a car cover and the paint, you have invented sandpaper. Now truth be told I had sometimes put the cover on the '89 5.0 after a short ride, and I did not notice any scratches but that was "old" paint. I am more careful with the CTSV.

I have never scratched the car taking it off or putting it on.

It takes about 60 seconds to put on or take off if you do it enough to get the system down (you always know where the front is, etc.).

If it is wet I don't put it in the trunk; instead I put it in the house. It does dry if you leave it on the floor in a ball. I don't know if it would dry in the trunk, and I don't want to get the trunk all wet.

I don't cover the cars when parked for short periods or at parking lots. Though the thought of door ding protection is nice, it seems a bit overly **** and the cars will always have some amount of road dust or road grit.

It also draws needless attention to your anality by those who might be envious.

These are my opinions and thus my two cents.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:21 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I cover my car at night at home. It's in a carport, so it's covered but still gets all that dust and pollutants on it if not covered. If I just drive to work and back, with my car in a parking garage while at work, I can go a few days and then will need to go over the car with detail spray and a nice microfiber towel. I tried a Calif Duster, but it just seemed to cause streaks, especially on the glass.
I ended up getting the Mustang Car Cover with the Mustang logo on the front. Cost me about $150. It is not for ouside exposure to rain. I would recommend spending more than $200 if you want a serious cover. Here's one with the Mustang logo:
http://www.fordaccessories.com/produ...icleCover.aspx
Here's another link to a big website:
http://www.carcoverworld.com/mustang.asp

I removed my antenna and put the cover on then created a little hole were it would go. The next time I washed the car cover I applied the patch to the hole, no problems. I did find that a shorty antenna helps a LOT! I did highlighting with a black marker around the patch. It makes finding it easier when putting the cover on.
Covering the car is easy, as long as it isn't windy. Just plop the rolled-up cover on the hood, roll it out over the center of the car to the rear deck lid. Then find the patch and slip the hole over the antenna and slip a pocket over the passenger side rear view mirror. Then I walk around and pull the cover over the driver's side and the mirror. I pull the rest of the cover over the driver's side and walk around to the rear and slip that end under the rear bumper and tail pipes. Even when hot from driving there's no worries. Then head back around to the front where it gets pulled up and over the front bumper I make sure it's pulled down over the wheels as much as possible, then slide the cable under to the passenger's side and lock it up. That is a key to making sure nobody messes with your cover.
I find I need to wash my cover after about 3 weeks of normal use if I manage to keep my car clean, meaning taking care of bird and gutter presents with detail mist. After a while all that dust that is getting on your cover will find its way to scratch your clearcoat when getting the cover on or off.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:26 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Thanks everybody. I decided to go with the Evolution which is just one step down from the NOAH. It comes with the cable and the carrying case so I went with it, and it's about 30 bucks cheaper. I'm so tired of every time I go back to my car [parked during the week cause I take the bus] and it has scratches on it from trash cans blowing down the alley, bird crap, and TONS of dirt and dust from the DC air. So, this should help immensely!
Old 04-26-2007, 10:24 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Well I've been using the Evolution cover now for a few weeks and it is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. I got the car detailed before my first use of the cover and haven't had to wash it since. I just use one of those big detailing brushes and some Showtime in problem spots and this thing has really been great. I see all the cars with a quarter inch of yellow pollen, birdpoo, sticks, leaves, carcasses, mule droppings, and nuclear wasteand just smile knowing my car is totally protected from anything!!! Thanks for all the help. Oh, and what i really like about this one is the side mirror pockets that help me get it immediately centered.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: car cover question[s]