Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever remove factory hood scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 04:38 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone ever remove factory hood scoop?

+1 on the fishing line. I used it to remove my rear blackout panel. cut just like butter!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:47 AM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

I have removed the factory scoop (checking for appearance and if a functional ram air could be made.) You'll save a ton of grief if you remove the hood liner completely,then there are 4 nuts to unscrew. In addition to two guide pegs, there are about 6 clips to unspring, including 2 (toward the windshield) that are recessed. If you make sure these clips are unsprung, the scoop comes right off. 12 holes in the aluminum total, I think! Hope this helps.

Sleeper2
Old 04-25-2007, 10:29 AM
jettaflavor
I ♥ Acer

Is anyone else laughing?

Tape-on scoop...
fake hood scoop...
a few bolts...
scoop not fitting flush..

oye...
Old 04-25-2007, 01:15 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

This is an old thread and as you can see by my sig photo the job was completed. My stripe installer took the Ford factory scoop off with no trouble. It is held on with clips and bolts. It does not have any tape that has to be unstuck so it is not very difficult to remove and reattatch. And yes the Roush scoop does have tape holding it on.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:17 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jettaflavor

Is anyone else laughing?

Tape-on scoop...
fake hood scoop...
a few bolts...
scoop not fitting flush..

oye...
If anyone is laughing its only you.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Sean3667
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75

This is an old thread and as you can see by my sig photo the job was completed. My stripe installer took the Ford factory scoop off with no trouble. It is held on with clips and bolts. It does not have any tape that has to be unstuck so it is not very difficult to remove and reattatch. And yes the Roush scoop does have tape holding it on.
Did you installer cut the stripes around the scoop, or does the stripe continue as a solid piece underneath? One of the previous responses on this thread talked of cutting around the scoop, so it wouldn't "rub and bunch" the stripe.

I have a Roush scoop due to arrive via Fedex today, and am wondering since I need to have my own stripes installed in the coming weeks.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:22 PM
bad1968ss

I just did mines and you have four bolts and some clips that need to be pushed from under the hood . You will have to take the heat shield retainers off the rear to access them , there will be one in the back center of the scoop that you can use a small sock as a tool to release the clip as it is located in a suport bar of the hood with a hole to access it . The other you can do by hand , I wanted to cover my hood but the kit did not include em even though it showed em , I am trying to get ahold of Baltimore to find out.

Make sure not to pry without releasing them or you will break the scoop
Old 04-25-2007, 01:46 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sean3667
Did you installer cut the stripes around the scoop, or does the stripe continue as a solid piece underneath? One of the previous responses on this thread talked of cutting around the scoop, so it wouldn't "rub and bunch" the stripe.

I have a Roush scoop due to arrive via Fedex today, and am wondering since I need to have my own stripes installed in the coming weeks.
I got my stripes from Baltimore Street Mods and they were cut out under the scoop but not to the edges of the scoop. So in this case the scoop sits on top of the stripe material. In my opinion I think that it would be better to just run solid stripes on the hood or else cut them to the outside of the scoop so it doesn't go under and cause bunching. The scoop is designed with a slight arch from front to rear so it tends to push into the stripe material at the front corners. Ron at Baltimore recommends replacing the original weatherstripping with a thicker weatherstripping material to alleviate this problem. Don't skip this step!