Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyno jet vs mustang dyno

Old 03-08-2007, 11:00 PM
stangoil
2nd Gear Member

Default dyno jet vs mustang dyno

I know the numbers from the mustang dyno are lower than than dyno jet but does anyone have the true number? when you dyno tune does it matter which you tune on? I have always used Mustang dynos but wondering
Old 03-08-2007, 11:50 PM
40thgtfl
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: dyno jet vs mustang dyno

Mustang dyno is more acurate for tuning because it takes into acount other things such as vechical weight. i have alwasys heard Mustang dyno>Dynojet.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

DynoJet is the "standard" of dynos. It is the only on authorized by NASCAR, and NHRA for their "Official" horsepower ratings, and the standard of which is used by car manufacturers, dealers, and a majority of performance shops. It is where the dyno started. It does not use vehicle weights, but instead turns 7000lb drum rollers.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:10 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

Mustang dynos > Dynojet for mostly everything. Unless of course you are just looking for a hp number, then dynojet is the way to go since it will be nice and big.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:09 AM
stangoil
2nd Gear Member

but which is correct 400 rwhp on mustang is what on dyno jet ?
Old 03-09-2007, 04:13 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

Mustang dynos > Dynojet for mostly everything. Unless of course you are just looking for a hp number, then dynojet is the way to go since it will be nice and big.
What is "mostly everything"? `Splain yourself, please. I'm interested in horsepower, so enlighten me as to what the everything part is that I am missing. I personally think that if the Mustang Dyno were that much more superior, NHRA and NASCAR would use it. They don't even allow it.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:46 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

+1. I'd like to be enlightened myself.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 AM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

Usually a mustang dyno will show about 10rwhp less than a dynojet,the mustang dynofactors in all the driving conditons while spinningthe drumsas if you were driving down the highway as opposed to the dynojet with some factors and spinning the drums. BUT, i've seen a car dyno more on a mustang dyno than a dynojet before,just a few, but it was more. There's alot of factors that play in affect to both dyno's. You can go to one dynojet and dyno 290rwhp, then go to another shop and use their dynojet, like the last, and dyno 283rwhp, then go to a mustang dyno and dyno 288rwhp. The best thing to do is stick to one reputable shop with a dyno and stay with them for your tuning or rwhp #'s
Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

A few comments.

First off, "vehicle weight" has nothing to do with torque & horsepower measurements...so there is clearly some funny business going on if the Mustang dyno claims to "correct for vehicle weight"...whatever that means.

Second, any dnyo is only as good as it's calibration. In the field where I work--precision labratory instruments--the best equipment gets around 0.01% accuracy. But the needs for this are extreme. At the facility where I work such equipment has to be used in a special room with a seisimically-isolated floor so vibrations from the earth don't affect the data. Calibration weights cost tens of thousands of dollars at this kind of precision. They are so precise thatpeople cannot touch them, because skin oilswill change the weight. The machinery has to be kept and used in a cleanroom envirornment, and so on. Not so for a machine that cars drive on and off of, and are operated by greasy-fingered mechanics! For industrial type equipment like a dyno a GOOD accuracy andin excellent shapewould be +/- 1 percent full scale. If you keep in mind that most dynos can measure up to about 1000 HP, 1% of that is 10 HP. That means that if your car dynos at 300 HP, it could realisticallybe anywhere from 290 to 310.

Also keep in mind that the skill of the operator comes into play here too. If they make a mistake inputting your tire diameter (actual, not just estimated off the sidewall markings), gear ratios, or other factor then the results will be off as well.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

crazyAl with the scoop again!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dyno jet vs mustang dyno