Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$800 to fix this? Are they crazy?

Old 03-09-2007, 03:41 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: $800 to fix this? Are they crazy?

I paid $750 to fix this:

They had to paint the rear bumper, trunk, and door to blend it, If they just paint the affected area (in your case the door), there will be an abrupt transition between their paint and factory. Since paint is never an exact match, you'd notice the difference.

In your case, the area is so small you may be able to get away with just having them do the body work and using touch up paint yourself. Get a bodywork only estimate, and ask them what size the area will be that will need painting.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I bought a brand new fender for $205.00 which included shipping. When they see you comming they should give you a card that says B.O.H.I.C.A............
Old 03-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

I paid $750 to fix this:

They had to paint the rear bumper, trunk, and door to blend it, If they just paint the affected area (in your case the door), there will be an abrupt transition between their paint and factory. Since paint is never an exact match, you'd notice the difference.

In your case, the area is so small you may be able to get away with just having them do the body work and using touch up paint yourself. Get a bodywork only estimate, and ask them what size the area will be that will need painting.
He said it would be a rather large area around that spot that would be primered and that they needed to spray the fender to match the door. If that's the case, why not paing the quarter panel too? I just don't get it. The car has 4k miles on it and sits in a garage most of the time...there is 0 paint fade from new
Old 03-09-2007, 03:57 PM
HMUSN
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: I8ACHEVY

ORIGINAL: SkyfireMike

I had some scratches on my back bumper from a bad winter, and the local dealer wanted $600 to fix the scratches. I said screw it and got a takeoff GT bumper for $250 when I got the dual exhaust.

Mike
a buddy of mine said to rent a vista blue Mustang from Hertz and swap doors [sm=icon_sneaky.gif]
LOL that's not really a bad idea..
Old 03-09-2007, 04:13 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

He said it would be a rather large area around that spot that would be primered and that they needed to spray the fender to match the door. If that's the case, why not paing the quarter panel too? I just don't get it. The car has 4k miles on it and sits in a garage most of the time...there is 0 paint fade from new
They only paint part of the door and fender - they feather it so it blends. Thus, they wouldn't have to paint the back half of the door, so the rear quarter wouldn't need to be touched.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:20 PM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

They only paint part of the door and fender - they feather it so it blends. Thus, they wouldn't have to paint the back half of the door, so the rear quarter wouldn't need to be touched.
Could be. Maybe I misunderstood...thought he said they sprayed the whole door, but what you say makes sense
Old 03-09-2007, 04:27 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

a buddy of mine said to rent a vista blue Mustang from Hertz and swap doors [sm=icon_sneaky.gif]
I bet Hertz' damage charge would be more than just fixing yours.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:48 PM
oldschoolera
2nd Gear Member

FYI, if you have just dings or dents and no paint damage, check out "Dent Wizard" (if they're in your area), average repair runs about $50 for smaller dings/dents and about $100 to repair larger ones. I used them in the past and they did a great job.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:27 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Cheap Labor ain't good labor and Good Labor ain't Cheap.
I would however get two more estimates but that's sounds about right to be fixed correctly.

Richard
Old 03-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Prepping a damaged area for painting is 75% of the cost of having a body shop do it. The actualpaint is the cheap part. Wife's 06 Escape got rearended. Totaled the other car but just had to have her bumper replaced. It was just a black plastic bumper (not painted). That was $550 ($450 was the bumper) They said if it had been a painted bumper that would gone up to about $1500-$1700.. R&R bumper then primer, paint, blend with surrounding panels. They would have also had to remove tailights and other accessories in order to paint it correctly.

Part of the $800 they're charging you could be to check the alignment of the door..?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $800 to fix this? Are they crazy?