Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 05:14 PM
555*
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Warranty

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

I thought headers voided warranties?

I mean when I put headers on, I can just put the old ones on when I take it in.
If you took it in for having an exhaust leak at where your new headers met the stock H-pipe I'm pretty sure they would tell you to pound sand. If you brought it in and your stock mufflers were leaking where they connected to the stock H-pipe, you would still be covered.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:16 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

That's the smart thing to do. Don't take any chances with the warranty and return the car to stock condition when getting service at the dealer. You may get lucky here or there......but dealers don't approve warranty, Ford does. Dealers just anticipate what Ford will reimburse them for. Some dealers have bad histories of fraud with Ford and therefore don't get any latitude on warranty work. Some dealers have great relations with Ford and therefore get more latitude on warranty work. That's a catch 22 though. A dealer that abuses the relationship by submitting warranty claims for parts that are not malfunctioning or were obviously abused by the owner will soon have a bad relationship with Ford.

If you think Ford doesn't test parts repaired under warranty then you are dead wrong. Part of the warranty claim process is returning the original part to Ford for testing. It becomes blaringly obvious which dealers are abusing the relationship. 6-sigma black belt teams attack these warranty cost issues with a vengence. With the company losing money, pure cost like warranty cost needs to be reduced ASAP.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:37 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 555*

ORIGINAL: bascho

ORIGINAL: bascho

Nothing voids warranties, unless what you installed can be traced back to the malfunction. Say your motor catches on fire. they can't blame your CAI.
Of course 'they' can. They haveteams of lawyers on the payroll....do you? Sure, you might win in court.....but it will cost you money and time.

Better off keeping a car stock or as close to stock as possible if you value the manufacturers warranty. Warranty cost is a huge problem for the OEM's and reducing that cost is priority #1. The OEM's don't care about your need to have a faster or lower car. They spend billions on R&D to make sure the car they sell will last through the warranty period. You messing with that equation through modification gets very little tolerancefrom the OEM's.

It all depends on the dealership too. Again the warranty isn't voided by being modded.
Do you approve warranty claims for Ford Motor Company? If not, then you shouldn't make statements about things you know nothing about. Can you mod a vehicle without it affecting the warranty.....sure. Can you say with 100% certainty that Ford is going honor your warranty when you've modded the vehicle. I say No. Why, because even though the CAI may not have caused the engine failure......how are you going to prove that? An engine is a highly technical mechanism......Ford can easily defend that the CAI could have cause the engine failure.

How about a suspension mod. Are you going to be able to prove that lowering springs didn't impair the vehicle's suspension, steering or braking characteristics? Because I'm sure Ford can make a pretty valid arguement that they could have impaired those systems.

Now, a CAI or lowering springs are most likely not going to void the warranty coverage on a body wiring harness repair or paint defect. But making statements like modding won't void a warranty is far to broad in scopeto be true.
okkkk..... So do you work for FORD? Since you seem to think you know everything about warranty claims, I guess you must.

Might want to check this out bud:
https://mustangforums.com/m_1524512/tm.htm

Andagain modsDO NOTvoid your warranty.

Yes, I work for Ford.

Yes, I am familar with the Magnuson-Moss Act and I'm glad it exists.

The point I'm trying to make is that Ford and the dealers can make valid arguements why a CAI can cause engine failure.....whether the CAI is really what caused the failure is irrelevant. If you read the MMA, then you'll see that the dealer needs to explain why your warranty is being voided by that modification. In this situation they have a reason. If youchoose to argue then it becomes a legalmatter.

Obviously a dealer voiding warranty coverage for an engine or tranmission repair based on a stereo modification makes no sense. That is why the MMA was written and signed into law. But if you think that the MMA is going to get your engine replaced under warranty when you've changed out the CMCV plates, added an aftermarket CAI anda tune changing the air, fuel and timing programming.........well, good luck. Ford has a pretty healthy arguement that those modifications could have caused the engine failure.

I am all about modification......as long as you're willing to pay to play. Don't cry about Ford voiding your drivetrain warranty if you've installed an aftermarket driveshaft and differential gearing. Don't cry about a voided powertrain warranty when you've changing the programming of the PCM and other vital air and fuel delivery systems. Don't cry about a voided body electronics warranty because you fried the main body harness with amature stereo install.

MMA was written to protect us from dealers voiding complete warranty based solely on modification. That is wrong and I would never defend that practice. However, MMA does not protect your entire warranty if you've modified the vehicle. The warranty on the systems you've modified are at risk.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:57 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

If you took it in for having an exhaust leak at where your new headers met the stock H-pipe I'm pretty sure they would tell you to pound sand. If you brought it in and your stock mufflers were leaking where they connected to the stock H-pipe, you would still be covered.
Thanks for the insight Now I just wait for the day when I get enough spare money to buy them lol. So expensive!
Old 03-10-2007, 01:03 AM
casdds11

If anyone believes bringing the Magnuson whatever act up to your dealer for a warranty claim is going to work I have a pristine 2006 GTO that I'd like to sell you for 100 over MSRP bud! Nobody could care less if you threaten legal action because at the end of the day the costs aren't worth the effort on your part or the attorney's especially for anything under 80,000.

If something breaks that the dealer doesn't want to fix under warranty due to performance enhancements, etc..... you f......d!
Some dealers may be better than others, however the BIG BOLD PRINT on Ford's performance catalog CLEARLY STATES they won't cover anything! (not their own FRPP parts and especially someone else's). The most obvious installations to cause red flags to go up would be a CAI, tune, lack of catalytic converters, supercharger, etc..

When in doubt read the bible.....Ford's warranty book online and in your glovebox.