Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchargers and blown motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

Default Superchargers and blown motors

I have a question for those of you that have lost a motor due to a supercharger. Either from too much boost or other reasons. Could you please describe in detailwhat let go in your engine. Was it rod bearing? Connecting bolts? Crank break? Those kind of items. If I can get a good idea of what parts might be weak, it'll help me to build a strong motor. Thanks for your time.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Superchargers and blown motors

Pistons, rods, crankshaft. Then, clutch, tranny, driveshaft.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

Did the piston melt, rings break or wrist pins come out? Did the rods crack at the bolt, did it break and exit the block? Did the crank spin a bearing, break or ? I'm looking for these kinda details.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:30 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

i don't think piston Melts, Twin screw is pretty good on heat. i think, they can't handle the power of rotationand just brake in there..
Old 03-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Actually I've never had a problem. These are just the things you need to beef up if you are going to exceed the "threshold", or pound on it at the track regularly. Mine is humming away perfectly at this moment. "knock on wood"
Old 03-09-2007, 06:40 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The number #1 thing that fails in these engines is that the rods themselves break. Despite what people say, I have never actually seen a damaged stock piston from a 3V modular. Bearing or block failures is unheard of, except as collateral damage. Most people go ahead and replace the pistons when doing a rebuild simply because it is cheap to do while the engine is apart.

#1: Rods.
#2: Crankshaft.
#3: Pistons

...if you want the full scoop, talk to one of the real engine builders like Sean Hyland Motorsports, Livernois, JDM, and so on...
Old 03-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

I don't see the point of trying to identify which particular part is going to fail. Replace the entire bottom end, pistons, rods and crank, with forged components, and be done with it.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:43 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Really depends on what kind of power you want. It may come to the point where almost every part needs to be replaced, again depends on the hp you are looking for
Old 03-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

According to a few builders I talked to before putting on my Whipple, the rods and pistons are the weak points(rods being the worst). The crankshafts are pretty strong in these cars, and I am told, rarely fail.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input. I was always the kinda kid growing up that took things apart to see how they worked. I still like to know howthings take stress and metallurgical analysis. I work in the aerospace field and I see stress failures every day. When I build the short block I will replace everything, but I was curious about the stock motors that folks have put boost on.

Quick Reply: Superchargers and blown motors