Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a new Sirius ready radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Mare318

Default Installing a new Sirius ready radio

I need help. I recently purchased an 06 Mustang conv. with a Shaker 500 radio. I would like to upgrade and install a new radio which can be satellite ready for Sirius. I checked some out on Crutchfield.com and they say they can be installed easily. Take out the Shaker radio and use new wire harness which comes with new radio receiver, etc. A local audio store tech says it can't be done. The new radio will not work with existing amps and speakers. He said it would costs many hundreds of dollars to basically take out everything and install all new. He said everyone who says otherwise is flat wrong. I amconfused and need any assistance you all have. Can I change to a new radio without changing amps and speakers or not???!!
Thanks for your advice
Old 03-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing a new Sirius ready radio

Don't know if you know or not, but Sirius has been bought out by XM, and the two will be merging in to one. This is on the XM website, and has been mailed out to all of us XM subscribers. You may want to just buy an XM equipped radio and avoid the switch over of Sirius.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:21 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

The radio tech is full of crap, and trying to pump you for money......It's a very easy swap.......If you order from Crutchfield, the wiring harness is free.

If you consider going with XM, here is the unit I installed. Has XM built in, no extra black box to install. I love it, and it is far superior to the shaker.

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/83FE4AE6E0454499B2EAB14B5CA84796.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/A7EF256C15D24F80A5060475E2B82DA9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-10-2007, 02:24 AM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

I was wondering, do just some of the Shaker 500's have Sirius satellite built in? Im asking because thats what I have in my 07 GT and thought they were all that way, obviously not. You dont see anything about it on the radio, but the AUX button takes me there and to three other different satellites along with the "line in" for the mp3 hookup. I just renewd my free first 6 months last night.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:34 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

I believe they just started offering Sirius in 07. My 05 certainly did not have it......

Mike
Old 03-10-2007, 04:39 AM
tritonpwrd
2nd Gear Member

I had the shaker 500 and just switched the headunit with a kenwood ddx 8017 which is the indash lcd touchscreen units with nav and dvd player. My car came with sirius from factory and I was able to use the factory sirius antenna to hook up to my kenwood sirius unit. The door speaker and amps are all still factory. I also added an amp in the trunk with a stealth box for one 12" sub. Sounds great.

And on another note. I think Sirius was the one that bought out XM but either way as I understand it. Equipment from both companies will still work, or i think they will be swapping them out. Not too sure.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Mare318

Thanks for the responses...My Mustang shaker 500 is not satelite ready and in any case I am not crazy about the radio....you can't make hardly any adjustments to the sound, etc.
And I know XM and Sirius have merged or one bought out the other but no one seems to know what that will mean as far as equip. and programming.
Anyway I really want Sirius and a new radio but don't want to spend Thousands of dollars....So is the consensus that I could go ahead and purchase a radio unit from Crutchfield and wire it to my existing amps and speakers and it will work???
Old 03-10-2007, 09:18 AM
davesiar
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tritonpwrd
And on another note. I think Sirius was the one that bought out XM but either way as I understand it. Equipment from both companies will still work, or i think they will be swapping them out. Not too sure.
You are correct on that note. I own Sirius stock, so I know that Sirius is buying out XM.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:28 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

So is the consensus that I could go ahead and purchase a radio unit from Crutchfield and wire it to my existing amps and speakers and it will work???

Yes.

Mike
Old 03-10-2007, 09:44 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Now with any radio swap, you will lose your speed sensitive volume unless the new rad supports that (which I doubt) I simply love that feature and don't want to lose it.

Quick Reply: Installing a new Sirius ready radio