Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clay bar no luck, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Retrorocket
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Clay bar no luck, suggestions?

Not sure if it's the same, but the second day after purchasing my Mustang, I looked over the entire body of the car and found 3 small black spots just behind the passengers door, and just below thetop of the rear quarter. They appeared to be tar and all were about the size of a pinhead(one was larger). Two came off with tar and bug remover, but the third larger one would not. I used WD-40, a gum and adhesive remover, and finallyMeguires fine cut cleaner to remove most of it, and each product I used resulted in some black on the cloth,but some remains as I was afraid of damaging the clearsurface.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:46 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

That looks like that patch they use on potholes. It gets thrown up from your tires and from other cars. It looks like tiny rust spots on top of the paint. I've used NuFinish Scratch Doctor to get it off. It takes some rubbing but it worked for me.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:47 PM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

I had simular specs like that on my rear bumper as well, I waxed the rear bumper and I let it sit on the bumper a while before I removed it and it took 90% of it off and like you I had to pick the rest off. Also eagle one makes an excellant cleaner wax that I use that takes the rubber right of the back off my car when she see's the track
Old 03-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

It sounds like ****-oak but usually if that happens it's on the whole top of car. Did you or anyone paint (areosol) near itwith Rustoleum lately? I've had that stuff fly a hundred free from my car and still stick. I'm surprised the claybar didn't work. That takes time but eventually get that kind of crap off. The fact you can pick it off sounds like you just have to keep at it. Then with a cleaner/polish.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:18 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Ill try WD-40. Ive tried bug and tar remover and 2 brands of paint cleaner (turtle wax and meguiars), no luck yet. It could be tar, but usually when I get tar on her it comes off with the bug and tar remover.. so idk.

The brown does sort of look like rust spots, but it also looks like it could be some type of liquid pollen (if that existed... its that color shade).

And yeah, its not rubber as I usually have tons of rubber all over the rear end and that comes off easily. I usually keep her pretty well maintained because she has to stay outside, so I dont see how anything has had time to eat through the clear. She usually gets a wash once a week at least.

Im not sure what ****-oak is, but there were a few other of the yellowish rust looking spots (though a bit larger, probably dime sized), on the roof of the car and the hood but those came off relatively easy, the smaller yellow spots wont come off at all, and I have pretty much scraped all the larger dark ones off. The clay bar doesnt seem to work because its just sliding right over them I guess. You cant feel the yellowish dots so the clay cant pick them up I guess. Maybe theyre more of a stain and not so much a particle?
Old 03-10-2007, 06:32 PM
skillful
2nd Gear Member

Ask this question in the "detailing" section. Might get a vendor to give a suggestion to help out. Good Luck!
Old 03-10-2007, 06:38 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Use SoftScrub bl1nk.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:49 PM
numb
1st Gear Member

i think there is a TSB for this,I remember seeing something about the paint,Look it up and have dealer fix
Old 03-10-2007, 06:51 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Aaron,
Check this link, and look at TSB 04-9-6. I would think you would have seen it before now, but who knows....Anything is possible.

Mike

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=578402
Old 03-10-2007, 06:52 PM
06Roush1

This is a little late but you should try a dryer sheet. I use it for tar, bugs, bug guts, etc. Just dampen the dryer sheet or wet the car. It leaves a film so I always do this on tough spots before I plan on washing. I hope you figure it out. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Clay bar no luck, suggestions?