Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clay bar no luck, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 06:54 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Clay bar no luck, suggestions?

ORIGINAL: numb

i think there is a TSB for this,I remember seeing something about the paint,Look it up and have dealer fix
LOL...Looks like we were both thinking the same thing.....

Old 03-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

****-oak is a type of Oak tree that drops these very small droplets on the surface and are very hard to come off. I was at car show once and I was put under one of these trees.(without noing) Anyway after the sun was up a few hours I was walking by my car went to wipe off something when I felt that stuff. It was like feeling 1000 grit sandpaper. I left right then and got back home and cleaned it off using the clay bar. Any airborn contaminant is bad. When left on a matter of time they do etch in the paint. You know you might try going to a body shop. They could carefully compound and buff to a high gloss. Maybe cost $30- $60. At least get their professional opinion.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:39 PM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like tree wax or sap!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:24 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Honestly, I think you've experimented too much already. I would take the car to a top detailer. You are looking at the problem on one car; a good shop sees problems on hundreds if not thousands of cars. They know how to start with the least abrasive method and gradually move up. Also they can use a rotary buffer for a more resilient waxed finish that will protect against this from happeing again (with your continued care of course). My only suggestion is get the car to a detailer you can trust (no way to a Ford dearlership unless it is obviously an existing TSB which I doubt it is)
Old 03-10-2007, 11:34 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

dont look like it, but could it be raildust? Ive heard of quite a few cases where it was stuck in the paint, dealers are supposed to have a special compound to remove it-sometimes it works, sometimes it dont...any change its been there since new unnoticed till now? if so dealer might take care of it.

if it were mine, I'd be tempted to try some old blue coral(I found the 20~30 year old kits on ebay a while back...sellers handle was 'partsfreak') the stuff I got still works like back in the day...just gotta be careful as it can really cut fast, but Ive still never seen anything that polishes smoother or sealer that lasts longer...but it does remove some paint, so you only dare do it carefully every few years- and it is a time consuming royalpain...
Old 03-10-2007, 11:39 PM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Yup...I think you should be looking at the TSB's and showing it to the dealer.....
Old 03-11-2007, 01:09 AM
dhyabiku

Maybe those little dots come from mulch. I think it is called artillery fungus.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

A good body shop can probably get it off, whatever it is.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:51 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Check this TSB out.....04-9-6
ยท BODY - PAINT - IRON PARTICLE REMOVAL - INDUSTRIAL FALLOUT - ACID RAIN NEUTRALIZATION thats what it looks like to me, but Clay should help to get most of that out unless the clear is over some of them.
ORIGINAL: TinPony

Yup...I think you should be looking at the TSB's and showing it to the dealer.....
Old 03-11-2007, 06:13 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

It would really help to have something showing how big or small those spots are. And where. Maybe show a penny in the pic?
I noticed little black specks in my yellow paint and while I can't say for sure what causes it. They don't come out with washing or waxing or tar remover. The only thing that worked was detailing clay. I wonder if you're following the instructions. Are you using the proper amount of lubricant? You might have to keep going back and forth for a long time over a small area. It would take me about 1/2 an hour to do just my rear bumper, making sure it's all done and smooth as silk.
Go back and give the clay a try and if that doesn't work, print out that TSB and show it to a serviceman AFTER you show him your spots, not before.

Oh, i just thought of this- could it be caused by bugs? I know there's some that can kill a paint job in Florida, but I thought they'd mostly be on a FRONT bumper...

Quick Reply: Clay bar no luck, suggestions?