Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making the best out of the Shaker500

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:51 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Making the best out of the Shaker500

My girlfriend just popped for an '07 Impala SS with the (very expensive) Bose optional system, and as much as I have twiddled around with the EQ and settings, it sounds awful,
+1, my brother in law just got an Impala SS with the Bose system too and I was very unimpressed. I've owned Nissan's/ Infinity's with the Bose and it was awesome but this system sounded poor.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:17 PM
dennysmustang

Does anyone know if the wiring for the 1000 (I'm assuming it has additional wiring for the sub) is standard in the mustangs that have the 500 - ie- is the wiring there so that you could swap out the 500 with the 1000 HU and buy a sub (and amp if needed)?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Perdi
2nd Gear Member

First off, Bose does not = Good.... The only thing that Bose is good at is marketing... Dollar for dollar Bose is junk...

Anyway, the shaker is okay for an OEM, but for true sound quality really isn't that good... Crank it up and your ears start to get fatigued real quick...it's loud but not clean... Speakers would help, but remember, it's only going to sound as good as the weakest link in the signal chain... honestly, if you really like good sound, ya have to replace the whole system.... Depends on what you value, but also doesn't mean that ya have to do it all at once...Do a little at a time if that is what your finances permit... Start with the end goal and work twards it...
Old 03-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

I always love a good Bose smackdown .... All Highs, No Lows, it must be Bose! [:'(] Waaaaaaay over priced stuff but they sure are good at convincing people it is worth their $$$$$ .

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I would swap out the H / U and the four speakers. Probably leave the door subs and amps for now.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:54 PM
MirandaRae
2nd Gear Member

I would love to go aftermarket but I just dont see alot that looks clean like the head unit the car came with.. I dont want flashing lights and all that other junk.

Either way, my car is in the shop right now because im trying to get ford to aprove replacing my stereo with a new one because the right rear passanger speaker and the driver side sub are messed up.

Luckly right now ive got a rental car because it was in the shop for the stereo and the gas tank

Best thing about the rental is that they put me into a cherry red mustang
Old 03-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Changing out the 4 6x8s makes a big difference. It's inexpensive and really the only thing you need to do for now. I would do that first and go from there if you're still not satisfied.
Even with $90 pioneer's, etc? I thought I heard somewhere that they were nice enough it really wasn't worth it unless you were going to drop $175+ on a new pair of speakers.

Either way, I'm pretty happy with my Shaker500 ... it hasn't done me wrong yet. Half the time I have it off and am just listening to the car anyways. Oh, and I'm pretty damn tone deaf. :-D
Old 03-22-2007, 08:30 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

The stock paper speakers are junk and replacing them with a good set of aftermarket ones will help to improve the sound.My personal choice was Infinity Kappa's

Richard
Old 03-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

my shaker 500 sounds better than all my friends stereos. i think its pretty decent. but of course aftermarket will sound better.

and besides, its not like i ever listen to it.

SLP Loudmouths > Any Stereo
Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday (chic-fil-a's breakfast burritto) because it is just food to me, music nowadays is crap so my raio goes to sportstalk or off. Music (especially loud music) makes you deaf/retarted so exhaust/sports talk FTMFW [8D]....shaker 1000 for sportstalk FTMFWMF'ers
Old 03-23-2007, 03:13 AM
05Stang4Me
2nd Gear Member

If you can save a little while longer the money you spend on a passive EQ you would be able to buy a decent after market HU. I just changed out mine with a Pioneer DEH-7800 and added Infinity subs and it made a world of difference. I am still using the factory speakers for now, but I will be changing them out with Infinity Kappa series later on down the road. What ever you do good luck, but I would put the money towards a HU rather than a EQ. You can change out your speakers later.

Quick Reply: Making the best out of the Shaker500