Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change at 1k?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: oil change at 1k?

It is too soon to go with full sythn. Wait till fully broken in. I'd say 5000 miles. Obviously people have their opinions to what brand to use. But if it's a question to void warrenty, I'd say use common sense and get an oil that meets Fords standards.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:31 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Technically if you dont use motorcraft they can probably find away to void your warranty.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Actually, the original reference to RP was for the transmission, not the engine. Requirements there may differ from engine oils simply because manual tranny oil has no way of getting into the exhaust stream, while engine oil can and does. A little further investigation may be required before any judgement can be made concerning RP tranny oil.

Norm
Old 03-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

I did change my oil at 1.000 miles the first time. But I am still using the oil that Ford decided on for the car. It costs $18.95 to have the dealer change it for me. Thats allmost cheaper than I can do it my self, but I dont have to get rid of the oil. Its kind of nice to have a regular record of 3.000 mile interval oil changes on a regular basis with my dealer. Right or wrong, I feel like it cant hurt me if I do need warranty work some day.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangEsq

ORIGINAL: my77stang

also, i cannot stress enough that royal purple doesnt meet the latest standards for oil, (which is required for ford to warranty your motor if something should go wrong). knowing that i would NEVER use RP in my mustang. Redline is the best oil available according to data i collected from each manufacturers sites. im not talking opinion, im talking their advertised technical data on their products. Mobil 1 came in second and is probably the best bet as its probably cheaper than redline and easier to find.
My dealer said my warranty would be voided with Royal Purple. In fact, the service writer had to get authorization for the Mobil 1, as it is different from the Motorcraft blend that comes with the car. Fortunately, the Mobil 1 keeps your warranty.

Peoplesay "They cant void your warranty unless its specifically related to the problem." You know, that may be true. However, if Ford denies liability for whatever reason, guess who has to pay for the repairs. You do. Then, in order to be re-imbursed, you will have to take Ford to court or arbitration (not sure what our sales contracts state). As an attorney, I say good luck.

Put in Mobil 1 and sleep better. Why risk it?
This is bull - have the Dealership put that in writing. They won't because it's illegal. The Mobil 1 0/5W20 motor oil fully meets Ford's spec's. It's right on the bottle and is a much better oil than the MC "synthetic blend." The requirements are for a 20W oil, meeting Ford's "WS" specs, and changed every 5000 miles. If your oil meets these specs (Mobil 1 and Amsoil for sure), then your warrantee is in full force. The folks at that dealership are simply dead wrong.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:07 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Changed mine at 500 miles and went full synthetic. Had no problems with rings seating,etc. I like the idea of an early change to get (especially) a new filter on in case there was a lot of contamination from the break in process.

Many high performance cars come with full synthetic right from the factory. I personally don't believe synthetic is somehow 'too slippery' for modern engines to break in properly.

When I build an 'old school' engine, I go the same way. Run a quality dino oil for the first 500 and then switch to synthetic. Again, I know I've got stuff like the moly lube I used on the cam floating around in there. Never had a lubrication failure (knock on wood).

Probably lots of right answers here. It's a little like a religious argument