Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Headers for 05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:27 PM
ovrpar6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Best Headers for 05 GT

wow, did a search on the forum, everyone agrees shorties are pretty, but not worth the cost, LT are not an option as the will not pass IL smog. Guess it's a new gear, and a sport tuner. Is the SCT worth the extra $100 over the Diablo?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:41 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

SCT is a great tuner. What about cams? The cost is a lil more but you get good gains from them.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 PM
adherrera722
1st Gear Member

I live in illinois and orginally i did go with hookers l/t's with a catted jba h-pipe. yes the two do fit perfectly together but it hasn't even been a year yet and the cats are all ready starting to break part on the inside. The raddeling is very annoying. But not to worry, i called jba and the cats are NOT covered under warrenty but nevertheless, the are sending me a free off-road h-pipe. I do however have a $75 deposit which will be refunded once i ship the catted h-pipe back. Not to bad of a deal. Didn't really want the catts anyways. About shorties, the jba's have put up some impressive numbers but imo, if you want to do it the right way, go with the l/t's. you'll definatly be happy.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:47 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DeStonn

SCT is a great tuner. What about cams? The cost is a lil more but you get good gains from them.
Cams cost a LOT more. Expect to pay anywhere from $700-1100 or so for the cams plus the springs, retainers, etc. Then you've got the installation: 12-15 hours! That's another $1000 for labor easily.

Also, cams do not deliver anywhere near their full potential unless you already have LTs. There was a guy over on M odular Fords who installed Stage 3 Comp Cams and he only got about 15 HP becasue he was running shorties. Once he got the LTs on his car, he got the expected gains.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JayFi

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Kooks are great headers, but they are NOT street legal, even if you have the cats:

Longtube headers are NOT emissions legal. Why? Federal emssions laws prohibit changing or moving the OEM cats. Becasue longtubes replace them, or require moving them even if you tried a custom-fab job to keep the stock cats, they are NOT legal.
Well crap, there go my plans to eventually install longtubes. Here in Northern Virginia there are emissions inspections every 2 years.
Brent has never heard of this. If it has a cats how can it make any difference? Better than just running a x-pipe with no cats.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:18 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60
Brent has never heard of this. If it has a cats how can it make any difference? Better than just running a x-pipe with no cats.
Inever said the law made any sense...itis remarkably stupid if you ask me. You could actually make achange that LOWERED the emissionsof your car and it would still be illegal! But, the lawclearly states that ANY change to the "emissions equipment" on the vehicle is illegal, wether that change has a good, bad, or negilgeable affect on actual smog output. The only exceptions are parts that have specific CARB approval, such as some brands of shorties. These parts must also not move or replace the OEM cats in any way at all.

If you want to check for yourself, go ahead: Section 203 of the US Clean Air Act, 42 US Code, Section 7522 . This law has been around for 20+ years.....

More info in this thread: https://mustangforums.com/m_2863834/tm.htm
Old 03-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

The trick is knowing someone who will overlook the visual inspection portion of a smog check. If you pass the sniffer test, and they look the other way when it comes to inspecting the system, you are good to go.

Of coursethat would be wrong.

Not only is it illegal to move the stock location of the cats which make longtubes illegal, but the theory is that if the cats are farther down in the exhaust system they take longer to heat up. If they take longer to heat up then more smog will escape into the atmosphere at start up.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

So are you saying they cause more air pollution. We don't get tested here and I'm sorry I just don't buy it polluting anymore thanstock. Besides I see tractor trailer rigs blowing fuc8ing smoke everywhere and I don't see how we can be polluting the air as bad as them. **** I want them too so I'm there bud just saving the money until then.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I just noticed something both of you who are making the argument have long tube headers.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:57 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

So are you saying they cause more air pollution. We don't get tested here and I'm sorry I just don't buy it polluting anymore thanstock. Besides I see tractor trailer rigs blowing fuc8ing smoke everywhere and I don't see how we can be polluting the air as bad as them. **** I want them too so I'm there bud just saving the money until then.
An offroad pipe, which has no cats, makes more pollution--no doubt about that. However, Longtubes with a set of high-flow cats does NOT make more pollution than a stock setup....but it is still illegal becasue the law says you can't move or change your cats period, regardless of what effect that has on your actual smog output.

Imagine this: Pretend you are super-enviornmentally friendly. You go buy a new car. And then you hire some scientists to design a "super catalytic converter" for your car that lowers it's smog output by half...and you put this on your car. That's illegal too! The law says that a change is illegal, regardless of that change is better, worse, or not changed at all compared to stock.

Quick Reply: Best Headers for 05 GT