Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Springs - Which way is up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:44 PM
tr6nut
1st Gear Member

Default Rear Springs - Which way is up?

Like the title says. I'm installing the FRPP lowering springs and want to know which end of the rear springs areinstalled "up" (or if it matters). The stockers look like the close wound coils are installed "down", but I've seen instructions from Saleen, etc that say to install their rear springs with the close wound coils "up". Guess its just too hard for Ford to put some instructions in the box.[:@]
Old 03-13-2007, 05:29 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Rear Springs - Which way is up?

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...mp;postcount=1

This might help you but not for sure....i actually had mine done so I dont know for sure. The FRPP look like these steeds do if I remember correctly before mine were put on.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

closely wound go down. Atleast that's how I have mine and how someone on here told me. I acutally had them the opposite way at first.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

Closely wound down.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:33 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...mp;postcount=1

This might help you but not for sure....i actually had mine done so I dont know for sure. The FRPP look like these steeds do if I remember correctly before mine were put on.
I have to check mine (Eibach Pro), your Steeda pics say loose wound down on the axle, which makes sense to me. The initial impact on the axle from road imperfection should be against softest spring rate first it would seem. ...but I need to check mine. ...I think EibachPro kit had directions too, I must look.

I'm almost thinking that other than diameter fit for correctness top and bottom, that it wouldn't matter which end had loose wound coil, up or down.The compression is going to be progressive whether loose wound is top or bottom, it seems. If one approach gives a softer, less harsh ride I'd like to know about it. I'm sure we'll get the word on this.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:57 PM
tr6nut
1st Gear Member

Well, I ended up calling the Ford Racing Tech Line (1-800-367-3788) and asked them. According to the Tech Line, the tighter coils go "up" and if they are installed correctly, the writing on the springs should be right side up. Oh well, looks like I'll be flipping mine around this weeked. I found a photo on the web that shows the correct orientation.

Hugh

[IMG]local://upfiles/58459/78BD9271FB094D4DA16F01E09B21BAF4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-15-2007, 12:36 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tr6nut

Well, I ended up calling the Ford Racing Tech Line (1-800-367-3788) and asked them. According to the Tech Line, the tighter coils go "up" and if they are installed correctly, the writing on the springs should be right side up. Oh well, looks like I'll be flipping mine around this weeked. I found a photo on the web that shows the correct orientation.

Hugh

[IMG]local://upfiles/58459/78BD9271FB094D4DA16F01E09B21BAF4.jpg[/IMG]
I just found the instructions for my Eibach ProKit and it says Eibach logo right side up; which is what I'm sure I did but I won't know until I look this weekend what the orientation is. I hope it is loose down and tighter up. ...seems to make more sense.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:48 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

closely wound go down. Atleast that's how I have mine and how someone on here told me. I acutally had them the opposite way at first.

by the way I didn't notice any difference with them up or down, still rode the same.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:33 AM
tr6nut
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

by the way I didn't notice any difference with them up or down, still rode the same.

Looking at how they aremounted and the fact that the end coil on both ends of the spring is the same ID/OD, I wouldn't think it would make a real difference. However, I'm really **** about stuff like that and if its not "right", it just sits in the back of my brain and bugs me.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Gone2
2nd Gear Member

I installed the rear springs this weekend and put the tighter coils up. I made the decision based on putting the "Roush" words right side up.

Quick Reply: Rear Springs - Which way is up?