Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer screwed my paint!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:40 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Default Dealer screwed my paint!!

I was having the problem with my master cylinder reservoir leaking like I've seen a lot of you others have, and went to the dealer I bought the car from to get it fixed. They kept it a day and told me to come get it, they changed the oil (which I wanted done anyway, the first one was free) and ordered a new reservoir. When I picked the car up, it was covered with oily handprints on the roof over the door and on the windows and hood. Plus there was motor oil spilled on the fuse cover. I cleaned the car except for the mentioned areas and when I went back to have the parts installed the next week, I pointed out what it looked like and told them how unhappy I was as I am very particular about my vehicle (like the temp seat cover and floormat over my floormat doesn't give that away)I got the car back today and it looked great, they detailed it up for me and everything, obviously kissing my butt over it. I took it home and was going to wax it since it was a nice day and half the job was done already when I noticed something on the bumper. I tried a little bit of everything from my arsenal of cleaning products, starting with detailing mist and working through to a claybar and nothing would touch these marks. I finally took it to the body shop down the street and asked him what he thought it was, as it almost looked like solvent pop like you'd see in a crappy paint job, but it was only on one section of the bumper on the top. He immediately said it was marks left from brake fluid left on the paint too long!! at this point I was fuming, I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow to see what they are going to do about it. Regardless of whether it's their fault or not, paint should not be doing this on a car with 1800 miles. I'm not letting them take it to their body shop as I've seen some pretty crappy work come out of there. It's my shop and that's it as far as I'm concerned. Just wanted to post some pics to show what bumbling techs can do to your car on a pretty simple task. The damage is the spots in the paint that almost look like water spots in this pic, but if you run your hand across them, you can definately feel them and if you press your nail on them, you leave indentions. You shouldn't be able to indent factory paint, which you can't everywhere else except over these spots. I'm just glad I didn't have my stripes painted on yet because that would have given them an easy out claiming it was the body shop's fault that the paint wasn't prepped right. Now they have no excuse since it is still stock.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:44 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dealer screwed my paint!!

edit
Old 03-14-2007, 01:45 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Alright, morning came and I'm kinda glad to say you can still see the crap in the sunlight too. This makes me look a little less **** than if I went back to the dealer telling them I had a paint problem you could only see under shop lights. That is until the paint flies off when I go to a car wash after a couple weeks. I'm glad I found it now and not when that would have happened, I would have been even more pissed if that was the case.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:45 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Anyone else ever had any problem like this? Or is there a problem with paint adhesion on S197 bumpers like some of theChrysler's have? If there is an issue with paint adhesion, I'd like to know before I go placing blame on the retarded tech they have atthe dealer.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:29 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

dude let me know what they told u
Old 03-14-2007, 03:40 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

THAT SUCKS!!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Yikes. Yeah, it seems like a few of Ford's bodyshops have less-than-stellar employees doing their work. I had the front fender on my 06 touched up in late November (it had a little scratch on it, so they did the whole spot-paint/blend thing), and I noticed last month a whole bunch of the clear coat is coming off on the spot they touched up. Like yours, it'll be going back when the weather is a little nicer here, but I am a little hesitant about their body shop doing any more work on my car.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:07 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

My first Dealer visit was at 1200 miles. Just wanted them to check a few things for me.
They scratched the console lift up lid. My first scratch came from the dealer. They replaced it.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:02 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

UPDATE: I'm very happy now, of course the dealer has admitted to no wrongdoing. They claimed it is just "fisheyes" in the paint and that happens sometimes. They looked the car over and didn't find any more of them. Funny, they were just in the area where you would carry a master cylinder reservoir over when removing it......This dealer does not have their own body shop in-house so they normally outsource to another body shop in town. I told them I'd rather it go to someone I know and trust at a body shop the next town over (the one I took it to last night to see what the spots were)and after calling and talking to him, they said that's fine. He told them that they were obviously marks left by brake fluid or some other corrosive petroleum product, but the service manager told him he was wrong, and it was just a defect in the paint. This way, the dealer doesn't have to pay to fix their screw-up, Ford has to pay for the work under my warranty since it is still all factory. Regardless, the problem will be fixed to my liking and with no cost to me so I'm happy. I know that dark metallic paints can be hard for some body shops to match correctly, but this guy knows his stuff and it will be done right. I'll probably use this as an opportunity to get my stripes painted on while he has the car apart, andhave my chin spoiler andRoush louvers painted while he has the paint mixed.