Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light bulb broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Spiffu
2nd Gear Member

Default Tail light bulb broke

Somehow one of the bulbs broke inside the housing on my right tail light. And I can't figure out how to take out the housing to replace it. Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to do this? Or does anyone around here know how?

The light actually still works but its a hazard with the electrode exposed like that.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:55 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Tail light bulb broke

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...1/rearlamp.pdf
Old 03-14-2007, 06:55 PM
jts
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Spiffu

Somehow one of the bulbs broke inside the housing on my right tail light. And I can't figure out how to take out the housing to replace it. Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to do this? Or does anyone around here know how?

The light actually still works but its a hazard with the electrode exposed like that.
Just a thought,don't mean to sound obvious, the owner's
manual might be worth a read.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Spiffu
2nd Gear Member

Thank you so much!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:59 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Believe it or not, changing a light bulb and switching to sequential headlights is pretty much the same process. So, if you ever wanted sequentials, this would be a good excuse to do the modification.

Anyway, here are directions from Webelectric Products. Be very careful not to drop the nuts in between the trunk and turnk liner! If you have a shaker 1000, then you may have to remove the bass, I had to.

Removing the Taillight Fixtures (the procedure below is used on both sides of the car)
1) Directly behind the fixture, remove the plastic fasteners that hold the trunk liner. Flex the liner back to expose three nuts that hold the fixture in place. Using a 7/16" deep socket, remove the nuts and pull the fixture away from the car body.
2) Using a small screwdriver, carefully press the connector retaining tab and disconnect the harness from the plug. Remove the grommet that holds the harness in the car body. Remove the tail light fixture from the car and take it to a work bench. Place a soft cloth on the bench in order to protect the lens.
3) Remove the sockets from the tail light fixture using a counter-clockwise twist.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:43 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

You have an 06 and unless you have 36,000 miles on it I'd be taking the car to the dealership and let them replace the bulb. Its covered under the warranty. BTW The procedure to gain access to the bulb is in the manual. It isn't very clear in my opinion. Not like the old days when you twisted and pulled. Now you have to remove half the trunk to get at the bulb. Yeah I know I exaggerated a tad, but you'll see wjhat i mean when you try.