MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Racing Stripes (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/259508-racing-stripes.html)

aquajr 03-15-2007 08:07 PM

Racing Stripes

just got my Mustang yesterday. the stripes are one the car are vinyl and look awful. they are peeling and stained. i really like the look of the stripes though. can i peel these old ones off myself? will there be any damage to the paint? i'd like to get some stripes later on once i have more money. how much does it cost to have vinyl ones put on and how long will they last? i can't afford a paint job.

05MustangSally 03-15-2007 08:10 PM

RE: Racing Stripes

Post pics so we can see how bad it is.

A lot of us are nervous about getting the vinyl for fear of this problem.

Some I've seen come out just fine though...

Rippin n Tarrin 03-15-2007 08:54 PM

Vinyl stripes are alright but I recommend getting them painted. They will have the same clearcoat finish as the rest of the car. Mine was done through the dealer I bought the car from before I even saw it. The cost wasn't bad @$1000. They don't just paint over the existing paint either they taped it off and sanded it down to metal and then paint the stripes and added the clearcoat so that there is almost no lip between the stripe and body color.

I have seen some vinyl stripes that look really good though, but I've seen just as many that didn't last.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24917/E310DB82A49C4778997C1C9A2DD04E6B.jpg[/IMG]

05MustangSally 03-15-2007 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Rippin n Tarrin

Vinyl stripes are alright but I recommend getting them painted. They will have the same clearcoat finish as the rest of the car. Mine was done through the dealer I bought the car from before I even saw it. The cost wasn't bad @$1000. They don't just paint over the existing paint either they taped it off and sanded it down to metal and then paint the stripes and added the clearcoat so that there is almost no lip between the stripe and body color.

I have seen some vinyl stripes that look really good though, but I've seen just as many that didn't last.
I really like the process that they went through to do your stripes! They look great :D

I would only do vinyl because I change my mind a lot on things and I'd be afraid I would change my mind about wanting stripes down the road hehe!

Rippin n Tarrin 03-15-2007 09:12 PM

Well I knew I wanted stripes from the start. The color wasn't too hard to choose with Yellow either.

The only color that even works for yellow is Black, Silver or White.

These cars look great in almost any color and striped look great as well. Some colors I think though look better without stripes. I think the Redfire is one of them IMO. Yellow on the other hand looks better with them. Your color looks good either way, but I do like Black or a Silver on that color.

There is one car around my area that is the same color as yours but they used a Magenta color LeMans stripes, looks awful and is driven by a guy.

05 Mustang GT 03-15-2007 09:18 PM

I had vinyl installed, yes there is a little ridge but not too bad. The cost was approx $475.00 for the stripes and installation. I went the BOSS stripes, a little more work involved but I love them. Down the road if they start to look bad I will have them removed a then get the same stripes painted. Could not afford to get the BOSS stripes painted on now.

Rippin n Tarrin 03-15-2007 09:32 PM

Car looks good with the Boss stripes. I would imagine to paint the Boss stripeswould be a little more difficult to do then LeMans ones are.

mlcrycc 03-15-2007 10:10 PM

I would only do vinyl because I change my mind a lot on things and I'd be afraid I would change my mind about wanting stripes down the road hehe!
Exactly why I did vinyl. Wanted to make sure I would like em before I painted em on. I do, and eventually will.......

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/6CF20CCDD76145BCAF7AB9A27180DB56.jpg[/IMG]

mygt500 03-16-2007 05:46 AM

Vinyls are fine for the ones who change there minds in the future. They are affordable and last a long time with little maintenance. I live in Michigan and not sure where you are at but the weather here in the mid west and northeast is murder on your paint. I would rather fight with the sun damage than deal with sun damage, salt damage, and the crappy roads in MI. I have mine painted and do not regret it. JMO J

aquajr 03-16-2007 07:49 PM

thanks for all the replies. i live in socal so the weather is not an issue. i'll try to post pics once my finals are over. dang i've been a member for 2 days and theres so many things i want to do with the car. too bad my bank account won't cooperate.