Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HID's Flashing when engine running

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:19 PM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New HID's Flashing when engine running

yeah the instructions are good but they would be better with a diagram.......they come with specific 05-07 instructions bc of the different relay..........the only part that i had to double check on the instructions were the wires that you had to tap into..i didnt want to get the high beams instead of the lows....actually i thought that i bought the dual beam and i couldnt figure out why there were 2 wires that i didnt use..it should only take you about 15-20 mins foir the install..very straight foward and its a quality peice backed with a lifetime warranty
Old 03-18-2007, 02:21 PM
OZ_Tambo
1st Gear Member

Thanks Guys….. I am off to the parts store for a New Relay & Fuse My wife is pissed that I have spent all night re-installing and grounding this thing. Yes I works perfectly when I bench tested it … New Relay & Fuse… I am hoping will fix ……I will post the results… Once again Thanks. Hey Ken… Don’t ya wish ya could take ya Stang back home… I can not belive that I grew up with a 71 Monaro….. lets see the Holden guys keep up with this...

Old 03-18-2007, 02:26 PM
OZ_Tambo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

ORIGINAL: ohfiveride

hey...im the guy with the HID's from stangmods......alot of the kits dont come with the upgraded relay.....stangmods supplies it for free....i dont know the difference between the 2 but my set up went like this...there were 2 ballasts (one for each headlamp).....the relay had the power o-ring that connected to the screw in the fuse box.......then the relay connected to each of the ballasts and the final step was to connect 2 wires from the relay to 2 of the wires in the pass side headlight harness (the green and white wire) and the black ground....also there is a ground for each ballast....if you need more help PM me

Hey ohfiveride,
Are the install instructions from Stangmods pretty good? I'd like to get the 4300 Bixenon kit. Is it all in the instructions? Thanks.
Here is the Link... https://mustangforums.com/m_2862984/tm.htm with pics....

ohfiveride is a god of these things DO NOT SKIMP.... like my wife... even @ $20 buck and Hour I have but 40 hrs into these already... They are $350 @ StangMods free shipping....
Old 03-18-2007, 08:19 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

The problem one guy had on another forum was that the controller for the lamps is looking for more of a load than the relay coil or ballastyou are driving. He had a similar problem and solved it by using a small resistor between stock headlight feed which is your "trigger" and ground.

When he was testing, simply probing the trigger line with a test light while the lights were on fixed it right up. He later found the on resistance of the test lamp by measuring its current and voltage drop across it, and experimented with resistance values of that or greater to find a happy combo.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:26 PM
OZ_Tambo
1st Gear Member

Thanks classj

sounds great a little over my head..... I had the multi meter on it and that is about my knowledge. I ordered a set from StangMods they guarantee Plug n Play and everybody has been raving about them.

I wish I could fix them but this is not my strong side... THX for the response I will add it to my video I am sending back to the guy who sold them to us.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:44 AM
simpleman

The problem seems to be the relay pull-in voltage vs the available circuit voltage are too close. A company www.switch-smart.com makes an integrated relay module that combines the control circuitry and relay into a watertight assembly complete with wires. The device requires only 1VDC at 1ma. to trigger the relay on. This gives the ability to wire the ballasts directly to the battery for12VDC and use any circuit source to power the Lights on and not worry about sufficient voltage or current available. Since it is watertight, (epoxied) it can be installed close to the battery. I've used it and it works! The device also has a built-in flasher function that I used to install an air horn onto my alarm system.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:41 PM
eric6913
2nd Gear Member

i had the same issue with my hids. i went to the local electronics store and picked up a "full-wave" bridge rectifier. which is simply four diodes molded into one small little case. this filters the ac out and only lets dc through. uses simple crimp-on spade connectors to connect in line with the power source. e-mail me if you want further info. good luck
Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 PM
bigman2007

I have the same problem with my hids can someone point me in the right direction.
thanks
-kris
909-957-4386
Old 02-03-2008, 10:53 PM
kdrshocker
2nd Gear Member

when i was doing my research i found out that alot of people where having this problem - the only 2 ways to fix it - 1 ditch the kit , 2 install 2 new relays if u have the bi kit. the HID kit i bought off ebay is still holding up fine, no rust and the salt air in FL hasn't harmed anything.

https://mustangforums.com/m_4236581/tm.htm