Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone here pay extra for insurance because of mods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
spooky
2nd Gear Member

Default anyone here pay extra for insurance because of mods?

i've met a lot of Mustang owners due tothese cruises/meets. some of you put some serious $ into your cars. all it takes is 1 good accident andthen you could be out of luck. i wanted to know what kind of precautions some of you take just in case the worst should happen.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:48 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: anyone here pay extra for insurance because of mods?

Everything on my car is covered. My insuranace company has copiesof the receiptsof everything that is "permanantly" attached to the vehicle. I have pictures of the entire transformation. from the stock part to it's aftermarket replacement. Documentation is important.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

I've been debating this. Currently, my insurance company does not know about the mods to either of my cars. I'm approaching $10k in aftermarket on my Marauder, and I'm heading down that same path with my Mustang. My concern is that the insurance company might hike my rates above and beyond just covering the aftermarket parts because they'll know I'm building faster cars. Faster car = greater risk. At least that's my concern.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:39 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

I added to my coverage to cover my paint job & parts. (they won't cover the exhaust)It only costs me like $40 extra a year. With the price of insurance in NJ, that's a drop in the bucket. Better safe than sorry...
Old 03-19-2007, 05:00 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT4HUTCH

Everything on my car is covered. My insuranace company has copiesof the receiptsof everything that is "permanantly" attached to the vehicle. I have pictures of the entire transformation. from the stock part to it's aftermarket replacement. Documentation is important.
Hey, if you wouldn't mind, which company do you use? I've been debating this as well.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

My insurance covers anything permanently attached to the vehicle. This includes replacement aftermarket parts, any type of paint job, luxury upgrades, wheels, and even stereos if they are mounted to the car solidly. Most major insurance companies have a similar policy either by default or as a cheap upgrade to current coverage.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:28 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

Ive hit the 10k mark plus some in mods, without letting insurance know. Im hoping that it's the other persons fault and then it's their insurance companies problem. Probably not the best approach.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:58 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Yes I pay extra and everything on my car is documented. My insurance company has full copies of all of my reciepts for everything purchased and installed on the car, and the car has full coverage insurance. Although I have to admit I am covered if anything happens I would still prefer it be the other guys fault. My car was apraised at $63,000 by the insurance company (USAA) before I began the performance stuffs which is about what the documentation shows was invested

My friend Gary (also my painter/body work go to guy) has State Farm and he just got $12,000 for damage to his front end which had custom paint, Cervini's C Series front and C Series hood, and damage to the fender and headlight on the passenger side.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

I just got off the phone with my insurance guy, Farmers, and he said that to keep all the receipts, but they would prob only cover wheels and tires. Ground effects and motor mods would not be covered. They give you the price for your car as if it had no mods. He did say that if it was wrecked to have it towed to my house to remove any mods that I could and stick on the stock parts.I wouldn't let a s/c or a cai or any other parts I could remove goif I wasn't getting anythingfor them.