Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Default Tunes

Ok, I have read only great things about getting a CAI and Tune around here but I have a few questions.
I have seen Matt post about "canned" tunes and their worthlessness. But what do you mean by that? If I buy the Street C&L CAI and an Xcal from Brenspeed with the93 Tune for the CAI is that a"canned" tune? If so,how do I go about getting the custom tune and such? I thought that that tune was customized for that CAI and your car?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tunes

A "canned" tune is a tune that has been created without your car present a the tuner's shop. Basically you tell the tuner what you've got for bolt-ons, etc, and they send you a tune.

A "custom" tune is a tune involved putting your car on a dyno at the tuner's chop.

So yes, a Brenspeed tune would be considered "canned".
Old 03-19-2007, 11:41 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

The customization is just for your computer code and for your current list of mods. A true custom tune will be done on a dyno and is the best way to get the most out of your setup.

As for canned tunes being worthless...that's far from the truth. I just put in my Brenspeed (and B amachips) 93 octane tunes this past weekend with the C&L street CAI and it unleashed the beast in the car. It was truely amazing to see how the throttle response and power increased. I listed both tunes because I have both but I'm leaning more towards the B amachips tune. That's just me.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

The "canned" tunes are NOT the ones from Brenspeed or B amachips. The "canned" tunes are the stock tunes that are included on every tuner, SCT or Predator, that can be applied to any car. It does not take into account for any mods. If you buy a SCT from summit, it comes with the standard octane tunes, but they are not for any CAI or anything.

A custom tune is one that takes into account you mods, CAI, CMCV, Gears, etc....these are far more agressive than the "canned" tunes. Brent and Dougs tunes are fabulous and they transform your car into a different animal.

A custom dyno tune is the best. Your car, on a dyno, measuring the air/fuel ratio. This will give the most gains but you have to find a good tuning shop for it.

I hope this clears things up.

The reason I say canned tunes are worthless is because I bought the C&L CAI with the canned C&L tune.....then purchased B amachips (Doug) tunes..... A complete different car. I felt like I wasted about 220 buy having to buy the tunes from Doug after considering what the CAI & Tune package cost, and comparing that to what I paid for the CAI, Tuner and then additional tunes from Doug...They are worth every penny I paid extra though!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

ohh, okay, thanks for clearing that up, because I was wondering how many people lived that close to Brenspeed if the "canned" tunes were the ones sent by Brent or Doug... Thank you for that.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:04 AM
40thgtfl
3rd Gear Member

well a good freind of mine just ran a 12.7 at 106mph with that "worthless canned tune" from diablosport a h-pipe and a jlt2intake. yes thats it.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:04 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I actually live about 2 hours from Brenspeed...didnt know that until after I had bought from Doug. I might still go up there for a dyno eventually.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:13 AM
red stangguy
1st Gear Member

ThreeLetters SCTthe tune that works

[IMG]local://upfiles/64087/BBFBDBD9F5C04E958094A253D2175778.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: 40thgtfl

well a good freind of mine just ran a 12.7 at 106mph with that "worthless canned tune" from diablosport a h-pipe and a jlt2intake. yes thats it.
I cant see that being possible...that is not near the HP to run that low.....
Old 03-20-2007, 01:38 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

ORIGINAL: 40thgtfl

well a good freind of mine just ran a 12.7 at 106mph with that "worthless canned tune" from diablosport a h-pipe and a jlt2 intake. yes thats it.
I cant see that being possible...that is not near the HP to run that low.....
Yeah, with slicks and suspesion and a driveshaft....maybe.

I just read an article in MM&FF and they had tunes, suspension, carbon drive shaft, and sticky tire and they only busted out 12.89 or 12.9 don't remember....and they couldn't get it back in the 12's all day...heat.
And thats with pro drivers.

Quick Reply: Tunes