Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visited The Install & Some Info On Saleen S/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Perdi
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Visited The Install & Some Info On Saleen S/C

Hufen.... are ya runnin a saleen? and have ya been on a dyno, just curious as to what your baby is puttin down... and how ya like it..

Also, as a side note, all i'm trying to do is get the most HP I can Safely, and to make it as useable as possible on the street... Who knows, maybe I'll end up using a JDM tune in the future, as I said I am a noob, and simply don't know enough about cars and mods to make any solid comments or decisions on my own yet... I would never 'dog' a JDM tune or anyone elses for that matter cause I never used one, and have no real world experience with any if it...
I do believe though that if everyone swers by their JDM tune and everyone really likes it (and I've never heard a bad word about their product) I tend to believe it and trust it.... However, what my guy said makes perfect sense as well... Especially when you take into consideration that I'm adding a full exhaust etc... I would think the more mods the more important it is to have a tune custom made.... or am i was off base here?

Old 03-20-2007, 04:20 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Perdi

Woah, nelly.... Lemme just clarify this before I get anyone up in arms about this....and offer my apology for not proof reading what I posted, cause I can now see how that could be mis-constrewed...

You have to understand i am a noob so I have alot of new information floating in my limited capacity noggin right now....

I was talking to him about the Saleen Tune Vs. the JDM Tune... based on what I've read on these boards... Basically his take was the fact that either way they are both 'canned' (unless you are actually at JDM)...he didn't say that the JDM tuners and JDM tunes were bad, but he did say this... to get a canned tune form JDM would not be nearly as good as having it done on a "per-car" basis.... He said think of it this way... I can tune a car and get the most available HP out of it, but if someone wanted to use my tune on their car in say Alabama, I would tweak the tune down a bit...the last thing I want is to blow up someones engine and have my name attached to it cause I gave them a tune that wasn't specifically made for their car and demographic. he said that those tunes will work just fine but they are made 'safe' by design...

He's is the kinda guy that even though he's been doing this his whole life, would never discount someone elses work...

Once again, I apologise, the original post was very mis-leading....
Ok, that's better. My first impression was that your tuner was talking smack about JDM. My opinion of that would immediately cause me to be leary of any such tuner as being self-promoting at someone's else's indefensible expense (can't defend themself if not there).

I have no problem with my tune being labelled as "canned." I have no problem with the innuendo of my tune being labelled "safe" (innuendo being less than optimal).I do, however, agree that a dyno tune is the way to go. My situation is this: I have no knowledge of any tuner in my area that I have reason to trust through reputation alone. However, these forums are an excellent tool for me to look for alternatives with reputation; I'm confident I've found that with the canned and safe JDM tune and I can drive my car agressively without fearing whether my car is running a safe tune or on the ragged edge.

So, I would agree with your tuner and I appreciate you'r clarifying what was said. Thanks. [sm=gears.gif]
Old 03-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Perdi
2nd Gear Member

LOL, good lord I feel like I can't apologize enough for that mis-leading post... Certianly was not intentional, and I am the furtherst away from one of those "My car is better than yours" guys... Especially cause not only am I new here, I'm a new owner, and a noob, and I value all of your input and advice... I hope I'm not forever labeled as an a$$Wipe around here cause if it

I know how it is, we all love our cars and will defend them untill the bitter end... and defend our mods till the bitter end when we are happy with the mods we choose... the last thing I wanna do is say something is inferior when in all actuallity I haven't a clue... On top of which, you could give me a 700 HP car and I'm sure I'd still get dusted by a good driver.... Put me on a bike and that's another story....but those days are over... and there isn't nearly as much of a need to do huge power mods to a bike cause they already run 9's bone stock...

Old 03-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

hehe perdi, I have my saleen s/c + jdm cai/ saleen inlet tube/ 39 injectors/ autolite h0 sparkplugs/ 90mm maf/jdm tunesitting in my garage, going to try and put it on this weekend or maybe next depending on my workload. I will prob have to switch pulleys though, i have the stock pulley 4.00 size. Im also running long tube headers, which in conjunction with the 4.00 pulley you actually lose backpressure... the next pulley size though is when the extra flow actually kicks in really well.

Chris.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:45 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Would have loved to see some pics of the LT while it was on the lift....