Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:29 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Default Rear Lowering Springs

I am wanting to lower the rear of my 05 GT. I have looked at Roush who is the only ones that offer the rear springs only. The only thing is, Moss Mustang says it only lowers the rear by 3/4 inch. I want to lower mine by 1 1/2 inches. I don't want to buy a whole set just to only use the rears. Does anyone know if it is true that the Roush rear spring only lowers the car by 3/4 inch? Does anyone know if someone else out there offers the rear only springs? I have my bullets on order and want to do this at the same time.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:43 PM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear Lowering Springs

1 1/2" might be a little to much if you are not going to lower the front. 1" is just right with the stock springs in the front. my buddy just did his rears only with the roush springs and it looks good. lowered it about an 1". might do mine also.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:27 PM
pegasusphototx
2nd Gear Member

I did just the rear Roush, and it leveled the car off nicely. Go for it!

-danny
Old 03-21-2007, 06:27 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

These things are all approximate.

I have the Roush springs on the rear of my car, and the drop was 1 and 1/16" in my case. You may get a little more or a little less.

I wouldn't worry about it...it's not as if you can see the difference anyway.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:44 PM
olfrt

Anyone know if those roush rear springs will lower my 06 v6 one inch ? sure would look beter.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:14 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

These things are all approximate.

I have the Roush springs on the rear of my car, and the drop was 1 and 1/16" in my case. You may get a little more or a little less.

I wouldn't worry about it...it's not as if you can see the difference anyway.
Al after reading your many intelligently presented posts I trust your judgement. I know you have stated previously that if you lower your car you need to do several other suspension improvments as well. Since you lowered only the rear with Roush springs as I want to do, can I get away without any other suspension mods. I just want the car to have a more even stance with less space above the rear tires and without harming the ride quality too much. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

If you lower the rear only then you can certainly avoid SOME of the associated mods, but not all of them.

Specifically: you don't need camber bolts/plates or a front-end alignment.

However, you are changing the rear-end geometry, and thus you still need the adjustable LCAs or UCA, and the adjustable panhard bar.

New shocks are not required but are a very good idea. The stock ones will give you an uncomfortable ride and won't last very long in the back.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

If you lower the rear only then you can certainly avoid SOME of the associated mods, but not all of them.

Specifically: you don't need camber bolts/plates or a front-end alignment.

However, you are changing the rear-end geometry, and thus you still need the adjustable LCAs or UCA, and the adjustable panhard bar.

New shocks are not required but are a very good idea. The stock ones will give you an uncomfortable ride and won't last very long in the back.
CrazyAl,

If you were in my neck of the woods, I certainly would have you do my suspension. But if you just go with just the rear lowering springs from Roush, is it absolutely neccesary to do the panhard bar and LCA or UCA?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:41 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I thought I just answered that question?

Your car will not explode after travelling twenty feet if you don't do the LCAs or the panhard bar. However, without those parts your rear-end geometry will be out of spec, and you will have a harsher ride and accelerated wear on your drivetrain. Expect your driveshaft CVs and your pinion bearings to be very short-lived. Also expect decreased traction off the line and clunking when shifting.

I honestly have no idea why people try to skimp on the LCAs. New LCAs is the single best suspension mod you can make on these cars--hands down. Lowered or not, the traction increase and elimination of wheelhopis significant. They are also very simple (read: inexpensive) to have installed.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:57 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Thanks Al, both times. LOL

Quick Reply: Rear Lowering Springs