Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSBC Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 07:01 PM
danam
2nd Gear Member

Default SSBC Brakes

What do you guys hear about the SSBC brake kit for 05+ Mustang with 8 piston calipers and 14 inch rotors. Its $2570 powdercoated too. IT's either this or the Roush Kit. Roush is only 4 piston i believe.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:07 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SSBC Brakes

SSBC is pretty low quality from my past experiences with them, though I have no experience with this exact kit.

The Roush kit is made by Stoptech, who in my opinion make the finest brake kits out there for the S197. The amount of engineering they have done to deliver outstanding braking while still remaining compatible with the OEM ABS system is amazing. Most other aftermarket companies don't give ABS compatibility much of a thought.

The Roush kit is the same as Stoptech's standard big-brake kit for these cars and uses the ST-40 calipers. These are stiffer than just about everything on the market. If that isn't enough for you theydo make a larger kit oriented towards professional racing, but that kit is about $3800...
Old 03-23-2007, 07:39 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I haven't heard anything nice about SSBC. Next year i'll be running Brembo's, mainly because i can get them for a great price. You really need to be hard on brakes to need a 14 inch kit though. My car gets run HARD at the track every few weeks and i'm getting by with Hawk pads an good fluid. I highly reccomend you get every bit you can out of a modified stock setup before dropping a couple grand on a big kit. If you have the money to spend go with Stoptech.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:09 AM
danam
2nd Gear Member

Cool thanks for the input, I'll definitely go with the Roush kit then. I also spoke to a few people and since I have a Roush too i'll keep it all original. thanks again
Old 03-24-2007, 02:24 AM
Vista_Blue_GT
2nd Gear Member

will the roush brakes work with the 18in factory wheels...on their website it says for use with roush wheels only or something like that
Old 03-24-2007, 05:04 AM
danam
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vista_Blue_GT

will the roush brakes work with the 18in factory wheels...on their website it says for use with roush wheels only or something like that
i would think so, because the roush wheels are 18 inch and they fit perfect. i have the 20 inch saleen rims on mine so it should fit no problem.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Supernaut
2nd Gear Member

Stillen is the US distributer for AP brakes. The 6-piston 14.25" fronts are $2,800. They also sell4-piston APs for $2200.

http://www.stillen.com/browse.asp?c=BR&s=BR%20KIT

Im not a rep or anything, I've just been drooling for a long time. AP is top of the line. They do Formula 1.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:18 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danam

ORIGINAL: Vista_Blue_GT

i would think so, because the roush wheels are 18 inch and they fit perfect. i have the 20 inch saleen rims on mine so it should fit no problem.
I think the fitment issue comes in due to the brake caliper being to close to the spokes of the wheel. Don't quote me on that but you can't even get the tip of your finger between the stock wheels and the stock calipers. I think bigger calipers may cause clearance issues.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:59 AM
Supernaut
2nd Gear Member

The Roush are 4 piston Stop Tech for $2,700. I'm sure they're good. But AP Racing has 6 piston for $2,800, andAP is a (the?) top racing frictioncompany. F1, NASCAR,Ford Man Racer 500, and the Bugatti Veyron use AP brakes.

Another interesting but very expensive company is MOVIT. The company began life by retro fitting Porche Turbo brakes to other cars. Now they engineer them directly.

Here is a quote from Evo Magazine re thier Mustang brake upgrade:

"Of course, all this added (Roush suspension) cornering prowess put extra strain on the already over-stretched brakes, so they were the next items to be replaced. Roush offer an upgrade kit using Alcon hardware, which we’d tried on the blue supercharged car featured in eCoty 2005 (evo 087), but in the end we opted for some Movit discs and callipers.
At £2400 – almost 10 per cent of the Stang’s purchase price – they were similar money to the Roush kit, but we’d heard good things about the German manufacturer’s products and wanted to experience them first hand. They didn’t disappoint, with a much firmer pedal, more linear response and, all-importantly, a much greater appetite for repeated stops. Completing the dynamic transformation started by the wheels, tyres and suspension, the Movit brakes proved equally worthwhile expenditure."
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evol...ustang_gt.html
Old 03-25-2007, 10:36 AM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

I have the SSBC three piston kit. Only complaint is that they didn't come with braided lines. Other than that they are far superior to the stockers. After I through on my SC I felt a little intimidated, the stockers just couldn't slow her down very well at high speeds. I have had no issues with ABS compatibility either. As far as the 8 piston kit goes its probably overkill unless you are running the road course day in and day out.
Also your fitament depends on the spokes of the wheels (the wheel spokes need to bow out a bit for big calipers),although if you intend on going withe a 14" rotor you may have problems with diameter as well. Talk towho ever you decide toorder from they will tell you if they think you'll have problems using your stock wheels.

Quick Reply: SSBC Brakes