MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   SJB Nightmare Fixed. Complete Story!!! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/263827-sjb-nightmare-fixed-complete-story.html)

The_Third_Horseman 03-24-2007 06:03 PM

SJB Nightmare Fixed. Complete Story!!!

Well, Ive been posting on here about my SJB nightmare, and now its finally over. The history of my problem is located in the "Water Leak Recall" thread, and some other posts, for those having a similar problem and want the back story.

STORY: Basically, my Stang was only 4 days old when it started making a BOOM noise from the rear Shaker subs in the trunk every time I hit any button on my keyless entry pad. I couldnt figure it out and before the dealer would look at it my car just up and died (Battery Drain). The dealer said it was due to water intursion in the SJB. I said"Ok, well fix it and replace my Shaker 1000 system in the trunk thats blown to hell". They said the subs were fine, just needed new SJB ( Lie ).Well, they replaced the SJB, subs still did not work, just made poping noise. I told them I knew what the damn problem was and thats why I told them to order new subs. They said well, were now going to replace the radio to see if that fixes it. I said no, the radio is not the problem here. The shaker sub system is independant of the radio. They didnt listen. service manager said I was dead wrong and he was positive a new radio would fix it. Next day I come in. He says well, we replaced the radio and subs still dont work. After calling him every name in the book including MORON, I explained it too him in simple English.

MY CORRECT DIAGNOSIS: Water had gotten into the SJB. Moisture created a short between the Keyless entry circuitry and the Shaker 1000 circuitry( The Shaker power source circuitry is completely independent and fused seperate from the radio). Therefore, whenever a keyless button was pressed, a surge of power that was going through the keyless system shorted over to the shaker, sending raw, unfused power to the shaker amps and subs, causing the bass thump. It then completely shorted to a constant power scorce completly cooking the amps and subs and causing the battery drain and dead battery. So the subs and amps are blown, Replace them!!!!!!!

NEXT: After taking my story to the owner, he said "Well it sure as hell sounds like you know what your talking about to me" and he told them to replace it. They said It would take till monday or tuesday. I said Im not waiting any longer, do it now!!!! Well, no Stangs on the lot had a Shaker 1000 to swap. Then I noticed the Cobra Convert int the showroom had a 1000. I said swap that one!!!! So they went to work swaping it. The service manager still said I was wrong. They took the old out, pluged in the new unit, and it worked perfectly. So now I have my perfectly working GT back. After a long nightmare.

SUMMATION: My diagnosis above was 100% correct. But I was ignored and ignored by the dealer. They will do anything to save money ( In this case replacing a $1300 plus labor Shaker 1000 replacement). They were doing anything they could not to replace it, even when the facts were right there in plain sight.

ADVICE: Do your research before and during the process of getting any service on your car. Arm yourself with the knowledge to shoot down all the dealers money grubbing BS. If I hadnt done the research and known more about the problem, they would probly have my car for at least another week maybe more, and still not have it fixed.

I know that was a long story. I just want to help out anyone else who ever has this problem, so they dont go through the headach and attempted ass raping by the dealer that I almost received. I hope this info helps someone out.

Nate

hogpowr 03-24-2007 06:08 PM

RE: SJB Nightmare Fixed. Complete Story!!!

Word. I took my stang in for a grinding noise in right turns, I did not suspect rear axle clutch packs, but that is what they replaced,........still have a grinding noise in right turns,.........

twokidsnosleep 03-24-2007 08:43 PM

Great they fixed the sound system, but what about the water intrusion source??? did they find a leak and fix it ...or do you get to go through this again the next time it rains. SBJ area leaks seem pretty common with the new mustangs and Ford (and it's dealers) does not seem to have a handle on how to repair them.

The_Third_Horseman 03-24-2007 09:39 PM

Yes, it received the new "whit-foam" water diversion cover. This seems to be the fix they have been puting on all the SJB water damaged units. Why Ford does not make a recall I dont understand. Its certianly a safety issue if your power goes out in heavy highway traffic. But, I havent heard of anyone having this problem happen again after the new diverter was installed. The "source" of the water intrusion Im told was a bad water diversion cover which allowed for the accumulation of water near or on the SJB.

saltzy 03-24-2007 10:37 PM

I have a sense I'm going to feel ridiculous for asking this, but what's "SJB"?

Ford_Dude 03-24-2007 11:49 PM

ORIGINAL: saltzy
I have a sense I'm going to feel ridiculous for asking this, but what's "SJB"?
its the (smart "stupid" junction box)

saltzy 03-25-2007 12:00 AM

Ahh, thanks. ;^)

mygt500 03-25-2007 02:06 AM

I have a question....if the warranty work performed by a Ford dealer to fix any problem is done than isn't said work for the warranty issue reimbursed or paid for in full by Ford Motor Co? I mean if the dealer represents Ford and their products than wouldn't the dealer get paid for any warranty work performed by a Ford dealer? See what I am saying in reference to Ford dealers being cheap and not doing the work that originally was the problem. Now you have a new SJB and a new radio and a new shaker 1000 kicker subs. Isn't that more than if they just took your advice and replaced the subs and the SJB? I agree with you that stealerships suck esp the sales guys and some of the service aspects but it was my understanding that any work performed by Ford dealerships under warranty that Ford Motor Co. supplies is covered by Ford itself and not the dealer. They really should car less as it is not their money paying for the warranty fixes. Am I wrong here......anyone? Anyway thanks and I am glad you car is 100% again and it sucks you had to jump through hoops just to get it done right...the third time. J

The_Third_Horseman 03-25-2007 06:20 AM

ORIGINAL: mygt500

I have a question....if the warranty work performed by a Ford dealer to fix any problem is done than isn't said work for the warranty issue reimbursed or paid for in full by Ford Motor Co? I mean if the dealer represents Ford and their products than wouldn't the dealer get paid for any warranty work performed by a Ford dealer? See what I am saying in reference to Ford dealers being cheap and not doing the work that originally was the problem. Now you have a new SJB and a new radio and a new shaker 1000 kicker subs. Isn't that more than if they just took your advice and replaced the subs and the SJB? I agree with you that stealerships suck esp the sales guys and some of the service aspects but it was my understanding that any work performed by Ford dealerships under warranty that Ford Motor Co. supplies is covered by Ford itself and not the dealer. They really should car less as it is not their money paying for the warranty fixes. Am I wrong here......anyone? Anyway thanks and I am glad you car is 100% again and it sucks you had to jump through hoops just to get it done right...the third time. J
To answer your question. Yes , I have a new SJB, new Shaker 1000 subs, BUT, the new radio they put in that I didnt need resulted in big scratches and deep scrapes to my center console from where they took it apart. I knew it would happen and thats why I was so pissed ( Thats what pissed me off more than anything ) . Now its going to be more and more time and headache to get that fixed. And yes Im anal about it because the car was 4 days old. As for the dealer and warranty work,A technicianeven told me that they are under a ton of pressure from Ford to get the job done as quick and as cheaply as possible. So Ford was making them go every cheaper route possible, even if it was the wrong route, in order to avoid having to make a big fix ( In this case what equated to probly $1500 in parts and labor). The service manager was in contact with ford the whole time and they just kept getting him to go the cheaper route and replace cheaper smaller things even though the obvious cause was there in plain sight. Yes ford pays the dealer for the parts and repair, but only if they replace exactly what Ford says and does it exactly how Ford says to do it, which will obviously be the cheapest way possible. The dealer is not authorized to make a single warranty repair without permissionfrom Ford. So yes, they get paid back, but only if they do exactly as told. They just cant fix whatever they want and then say to Ford "wheres my money?"

richmod 03-25-2007 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: The_Third_Horseman

Yes, it received the new "whit-foam" water diversion cover. This seems to be the fix they have been puting on all the SJB water damaged units. Why Ford does not make a recall I dont understand. Its certianly a safety issue if your power goes out in heavy highway traffic. But, I havent heard of anyone having this problem happen again after the new diverter was installed. The "source" of the water intrusion Im told was a bad water diversion cover which allowed for the accumulation of water near or on the SJB.
Is this white-foam cover the same one others have posted which just protects the SJB from water? 'Cause if so, that won't stop water from getting into the car, it just stops the water from screwing up theSJB. You stillhave mildew and eventual rust to worry about if they didn't stop the water leaking in.