Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep the V6, buy a GT, or wait for '08 models to arrive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:32 PM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

Default Keep the V6, buy a GT, or wait for '08 models to arrive?

I'm sure someone somewhere has debated this in a post in the past, but I really am torn. I bought my 2006 4.0L Dec 05 with lots of goodies dealer added including custom interior, heat seats, massaging seats, painted stripes. I have since added a new axle back and the side pony package stripes.

Well, since then I've been fortunate enough to be promoted at work causing my salary to increase about 30%. I've been driving V6's all my life (Camaros, Firbirds, and Mustangs). Now that I can handily afford a V8, and since I'm now over 27 and married, the insurance won't be killer. I want power.

I can even afford the frickin GT 500 at sticker $49k at my local Ford dealer and have thought about that, but they still want 15k over it. I've even contemplated the 2007 Dodge Charger Superbee SRT-8 they have for sale at the Dodge dealer with the 425HP HEMI; but when I was in that it felt like a boat.

I've test drove the manual and automatic GT's in the past two days and romped on them pretty hard (much to the chagrin of the salespeople!). My car feels like a slug compared to them. So the questions is --->

(1) Do I supercharge or turbo charge my current car and add all the hood scoops, hood pins, new grill, etc I want. (Does anybody know who can do this around Salisbury, MD?)

(2) Do I buy a GT now completely loaded with Sirius, heated seats, active anit-theft, 18" polished wheels, GT apperance package, everything

(3) Do I try to get ahold of a Roush or Saleen?

(4) Or do I wait for the 2008 models to come out and see what Ford brings next? (Boss? HP ratings? etc)

What do you guys think? I don't mean to stir up crap on here either, I know many are passionate about their 4.0's (best 6 I've ever owned) and many are diehard GT peoples. I know the decision is ultimately mine to make, but I've been racking my brain for awhile now and would like to get opinions from those who matter, fellow Mustang nuts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Keep the V6 or buy a GT?

I vote wait until the next models. Ford only made a minor increase of 25 HP from the GT to the Shelby GT. How much for the next Boss or Bullitt? Not sure. Expect 5.0-5.4 liters in the Boss. If ford doesn't retain either a 302 or better for the Boss, it would defeat its purpose. I'd venture to say the Bullitt will keep the 4.6 3V and just get a boost in HP to about 325-350. Also, some design changes are going to be made... and I'd venture to say that the 66 styling cues will be upgraded to something more aggressive and along the lines of the 69 (to battle with the Camaro and Challenger.)

Till then, we wait and see what happens. Save that money so you can invest in something you might like better down the road.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:41 PM
jonpo
2nd Gear Member

Well for sure, sell your V6. Now if I were you, I'd wait until the 2008's come out. The either 2 things will happen:
1) They come out with something really cool and you get it
2) Even if nothing cool comes out, you could get quite a deal on the 07's and used some of your saved money for mods

Of course waiting if very hard so you could just get a Roush or Saleen. But then maybe the 08's would be incredible. Then you'd be writing us again and asking if you should trade in your 07 GT for a Boss or something like that.So, just wait a few months and see what comes out
Old 03-24-2007, 10:43 PM
blitzed589
2nd Gear Member

Supercharge/turbo it.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:49 PM
jonpo
2nd Gear Member

Yeah but even if you go with FI, you'll still have all the weak driveline of the V6. So you'll have to spend more $ to get that in the right shape
Old 03-24-2007, 10:56 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

If it was me, i wouldn't waite. I'd get a S/C Saleen. Beautiful car with good power right off the bat. The new Boss will bring a high sticker (with markup).
Old 03-25-2007, 01:28 PM
brandon.stewart

Default RE: Keep the V6, buy a GT, or wait for '08 models to arrive?

I sell Roush Mustangs for The top roush dealer in the world. I have close to 30 Roush mustangs right now to choose from sitting on my lot. Including the Roush BlackJack. Only 100 are being made and I have #5. This car is 430 hp with 400 ft. lb. of torque. Polished supercharger, the entire engine has the polished upgraded caps and bolts. Just a sharp car. I would personally choose this option if i were you. Not just because i am salesmen, but because this is a rare car and you will not pay the rediculous mark up for say the boss, or bullitt. contact me if you are interested. 813-728-7337
Old 03-25-2007, 03:00 PM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

Do NOT SC or FI your V6. Just go out and buy a V8 and then do some bolt ons, that way, you can actually sell the thing one day.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Drivesthebeast
2nd Gear Member

I'd buy a preowned GT like I did...one owner, really low mileage, and already did it's big depreciation. You can buy a used gt and install FI on it for less than a package car. Only thing is, there will be less prestige/rarity to one than say the roush or saleen cars...they will fetch more money from collectors...

Still, go with a GT all the way...
Old 03-25-2007, 04:24 PM
MirandaRae
2nd Gear Member

definitly wait for the '08s to be out.. Because if you dont like the new one you can get a killer deal on any of the 07's and you know ford will be offering apr specials again come august.

Quick Reply: Keep the V6, buy a GT, or wait for '08 models to arrive?