Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel and Suspension Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

Default Wheel and Suspension Mods

I amgoing to be purchasing new wheels for my 05 GT.They will be 19-in and staggered 9-in front and 10-in rear. I am going to lower the car with lowering springs.

I need some advice on what to get for suspension mods. I want to knock out the suspension at the same timeI change my wheels. I really want to do this right so that I won't have to pull the wheels off again until the day I need to change tires. I don't want to just lower the car with lowering springs. I want to lower it and improve the car's ride and performance.

I am most likely going to be installing the Eibach Pro-System Plus kit. This kit comes with Pro-Kit lowering springs, shocks and a sway bar. What other mods do I need to finish off the suspension??? LCAs, UCAs, panhard something? There are so many suspension mods other than lowering springs.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:01 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Wheel and Suspension Mods

Adj panhard and adj LCA and maybe even adj UCA if you want to go that far. Camber bolts and LCA relocation brackets also. The D-specs are also recommended.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:39 AM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

I just want to install what is necessary for a high-performance street application. Ride quality is important since the car is my daily driver. I'm not looking to take the car to the track. Drag strip possibly, but I really don't think I'll need to adjust the ride height or shocks at all. I would like to have the car "feel" more like a sports car.

So, in addition to the Eibach lowering springs, shocks and sway bar...

1. Adjustable Panhard
2. Adjustable LCAs
3. LCA Relocation Brackets
4. Camber Bolts

Why do I need "adjustable" panhard and LCA's? Any particular brands and/or construction materials (aluminum, steel, etc.)?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:53 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=60937

In short, you pinion angle will now be off since you are lowering the car. You have to use the adjLCAs for that. The relocation brackets are also reccommended as the posts show. You dont have to do any of this. But you asked "I want to lower it and improve the car's ride and performance." What I gave you was the proper answer basically.Those mods are not just for the track. They would be ideal for "high-performance street application."
Old 03-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking of going with BMR for the Panhard and LCA's? Or maybe Steeda.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:30 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

I have the BMR tubular LCAs with relocation brackets. I like them even though the install was kind of a pain. One of the brackets was bent and the spacers were too long. a vice, some elbow grease, and a hack saw took care of all of those minor issues. BMR's quality is top notch. I also have their radiator support/front swaybar delete and it was a perfect fit.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:58 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

BMR makes better components over steeda and pretty much any other brand.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:09 AM
FordDude
2nd Gear Member

[sm=why.gif]Now my head hurts with too much information. [sm=thanx.gif]Thanks for the links. fd
Old 03-25-2007, 02:14 AM
Plaidpony

A small drop, say 1" - 1.25", and you can get away with springs and non-adjustable shocks/struts and have a perfectly fine "street" ride. Anything over 1.5" drop and I'd go with howarmat's recomendations.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:42 AM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

Whoa! I just found a BMR suspension package at StangSuspension.com. It's a little more money than the Eibach package, but includes a lot more components.

BMR Level 1 PackageIncludes:
[ul][*]Front Swaybar (Part # SB022)[*]Rear Swaybar (Part # SB023)[*]Tokico D-spec Struts & Shocks (Part # DSP-12)[*]Upper Strut Mounts (Part # SM001)[*]Lowering Springs (Part # SP009)[*]Adjustable Panhard Rod (Part # PHR006)[*]Control Arm Relocation Brackets (Part # CAB005)[*]Camber Bolts (Part # FC001)[/ul]
I'll just buy some Lower Control Arms to replace the factory ones and I should be good!

Quick Reply: Wheel and Suspension Mods