Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IS THERE A WAY TO TURN OFF THE TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 04:07 AM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

There is no option in the system chip to turn off, disable or adjust the pressure level valueof the tire pressure sensor system. the alarm goes off every 20 miles or so. So hitting reset is a bit annoying plus the dash light flashing all the time.

Just buy a set of sensors that mount behind / inside the valve stems. ~$55 each I think but no tire bands to buy or have come lose or break causing noise inside your wheel as you drive lol (bands have a slight tendency to break if you get the cheap ones especially)
Old 12-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The "car side" of the TPMS lives in the SJB, so you might be able to retrofit a SJB from an '06 or earlier car and eliminate the lights and warnings. BUT . . . there is some procedure (and scan tool equipment) involved to make your car recognize a new SJB, and it's at least possible that other SJB-controlled functions would be affected.

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-16-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:06 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Ok, I am about to jinx myself but I installed a brand new set of GT4's (w/o sensors) about a month ago and my TPMS has only gone off a couple of times. Usually when I brake really hard. Cant explain it. I was really not looking forward to having to hit the reset button every time I started her up.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

It would be a federal crime to disable the tpms light
Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

Yup its a ticket but the thing is when the cops pull you over you always have to turn off your engine. So the light will be off as well as any alarm. Guess they didnt think that one through LOL
Old 12-16-2008, 07:57 PM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
It would be a federal crime to disable the tpms light
what happens when you install after market wheels, how does the law apply to that., I had never heard that one before.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

You have to transfer the TPMS sensors inside the wheels to your new rims with bands or just buy a second set of sensors that install inside the valve steam accessed from inside the wheel.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I *think* that the only legal requirement involves the warning lamp. Saw it somewhere in some official discussion, the thought being that the nuisance of the reminder would push folks into getting it fixed.

State inspection procedures may not be as lenient.

Norm
Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cobra Drifter
You have to transfer the TPMS sensors inside the wheels to your new rims with bands or just buy a second set of sensors that install inside the valve steam accessed from inside the wheel.
You can also buy new sensors, etc., and the training tool from the E-series vans to train them (don't have the PN offhand, but I've listed it before). Useful if you run two sets of wheels/tires, such as dedicated snow tires in the winter or summer-only tires and keep the original wheels/tires for mild winter use.

Norm
Old 12-17-2008, 03:41 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I *think* that the only legal requirement involves the warning lamp. Saw it somewhere in some official discussion, the thought being that the nuisance of the reminder would push folks into getting it fixed.

State inspection procedures may not be as lenient.

Norm
exactly

Quick Reply: IS THERE A WAY TO TURN OFF THE TPMS?