Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerdyne Install - My Story + Pics! I Got Blown :-D

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:02 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Default Powerdyne Install - My Story + Pics! I Got Blown :-D

Hey guys,
Well, I did end up deciding to give the powerdyne kit a try. It’s not that expensive, and no one has it, so I figured I would be different. So I ordered the kit from R&E Racing about 2 weeks ago, and I finally got a chance to put it in this past weekend. The kit ended up costing me2890 shipped, and that was for everything.
I'm going re-cap my VERY long weekend installing this kit that was supposed to take 3-4 hours. We started at 8:30 am on Sat morning. Taking out parts and everything, the install was going pretty smooth. The directions for the first few steps weren’t bad. The instructions from Powerdyne got progressively worse and worse. It’s like they gave up writing towards the end.
When it came time to remove my UDP, we ran into a snag. That little POS didn't want to come off. First, the front sway bar was in the way, and second, it kept breaking/bending all of our screws on the puller. We finally got it off and we were able to continue.

We removed the coolant crossover tube, and removed the o-ring like it said. Then we had to pull out one of the 180 degree connecters. To do this, it said drill a hole in the connector, and stick a screwdriver in there. Next, heatup the outside of the coolant crossover tube and use the screwdriver to wiggle out the connecter. Well, that didn't work. We ended up spending aboutan hour just on removing that damm connector, and still couldn't get it. We just ended up taking it to a machine shop to get it pulled out. We replaced the o-ring and went on.

Our next huge hassle was mounting the S/C. Step 23 (or something like that) said something to the extent of mount the supercharger. That was it. Didn't tell us where. Luckily, we were king of able to make it out from the small picture. The step after that said to route the belt. Well, the damm mounting pins and screw were in the way!!!! So we had to take it off to route the belt.

After that debacle was done, the rest of the engine work went pretty smooth (except they forgot to include a T connecter for the vacuum line).

Next, on to the fuel pump. Ohh that little fuel pump. Little did we know this thing would cause us about 6-7 hours worth of work. They sent me a Walbro/BBK 96-98 Fuel Pump. It didn't fit to well in the fuel pump area, and we had to dremel out some of the plastic and cut some tubes to get it to work. We used wire connectors and shrink wrap to connect the new connector wire (in hindsight, a bad idea).

We finally wiggled it in the compartment, put everything back together, tuned the car, and started her up. Everything went over pretty smooth. No codes. Checked it over one last time, and took her forthe 20mindrive to work (I was about 2 hours late).

I got off work at about 2:30 am (I’m a bartender). The car turned on fine, and I proceeded to head back towards by buddy’s house. The second I get on the road, the car cuts out. Fuel pump wasn't working. I had enough speed to roll into a parking lot and wait for my friends to show up with the tools.

We went into the fuel tank, and sure enough, one of the wire connectors had come undone. One of my friends apparently doesn't know how to crimp. So we redid the wires, this time with wire ties, much more secure.

Put everything back, and she roared back to life. Drove her back to my buddies house, and we proceeded to have a late night barbecue. I take her out around 4 am for a test drive, hit about 135 on I10, race an Evo one way (We tied) and a Bike the other way (I won). Pulling back into my friends’ house, it starts to idle very funny. Then it just gives out.

Fuel pump again. This time though, it’s not just a lose wire. By the time we get everything out, it’s already 5 AM, and we are too tired to deal with it, so we just leave it to the morning. Around 1PM the next day we start working on it again. We hook up the pump to the battery, and it sparks and does all kind of crazy things. A brand new pump goes out and dies. Just my luck. Look it up online, and it turns out the Walbro pump is only made for cars with a return style fuel system, and our cars are all returnless styles....Great! After some digging, we found the stock connector and fuel pump. We put it all back to stock, replaced thefuse that the other pump took with it, and she was once again alive....

But with a pretty large coolant leak. We still haven't figured out where exactly the leak is coming from, but I think it is coming out of the coolant crossover tube, probably that o-ring. It seems though that this only happens when the car is cold and idling. It does not happen when the car is hot, or off.

So, I'm still driving it. I have two gallons of water in my backseat, and I'm checking my coolant level everywhere I go. I'm trying not to rag on it to hard, at least until I have a performance shop look over it later on this week. I'm not saying I haven't gunned it though. ;-)

Here are the only install pics I have. There were only two of us, so we really couldn't take pictures. Its raining right now, but I'll put up some more pictures and the dyno results on Fri/Sat.

Overall though, I would have to say that I am very happy with the kit. The smile really doesn't leave my face when I'm in the car. She whines, but only a little. I like it. I'll probably buy a BOV to replace the bypass valve later on. To anyone interested in getting this kit, I would say go for it. The instructions suck, but a good mechanic and someone very car savvy will be able to figure it out. This is well worth the money!

~Fred
Old 03-26-2007, 05:06 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Powerdyne Install - My Story + Pics! I Got Blown :-D

WOW!! Didn't realize how long that was...Sorry....
Old 03-26-2007, 05:37 PM
failurze_art
2nd Gear Member

Do you know of anyone else that is running this system? What kind of reputation does the company have? Seems like a good deal for the cost!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:19 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

There are a few members running the kit on this forum. The companies reputation is really bad, because of their previous superchargers, but the new ones seem to work great.

Update:
The stock fuel pump crashed. Middle of the highway, it give out. I'm stuck on the breakdown lane on I10 in the middle of a rainstorm. :-( I give up. I had it towed 20 miles to my performance shop. I told them to fix it, and to look over our installation, as well as install my gauges. Stupid Fuel Pump...
Old 03-27-2007, 02:57 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

The hardest part of my Turbo install was the damn dual fuel pumps you think its hard getting one in try two!! But she runs great now.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:07 PM
BLK06STANG
1st Gear Member

At 2890 shipped that sounds too good to be true. I just checked the R & E racing site and it had it listed at 3,500 was it on sale when you bought it. I'm really interested how this kit turns out for you any numbers you get i'd love to see em.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BLK06STANG

At 2890 shipped that sounds too good to be true. I just checked the R & E racing site and it had it listed at 3,500 was it on sale when you bought it. I'm really interested how this kit turns out for you any numbers you get i'd love to see em.
I've heard people have nothing but problems with them....
Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 PM
forstfed

I had a powerdyne on my 92GT. Installed it in 94ish and had absolutely no issues with it except the cheapo plastic discharge tube crimpin on tightening. It isn;t the most powerful blower out there, but it is less costly than most and it works.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:03 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Arwing

I've heard people have nothing but problems with them....
I've heard that about their old design. I havn't heard complaints from the new design. Whenmine was running, it was great! My problems are with the fuel pump, and not the s/c.

~Fred
Old 04-04-2007, 01:21 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Another Update: We stuck with the stock pump and just installed a Boost-A-Pump. Also the Coolant leak was a broken ORing/Gasket on the coolant crossover tube. Those were fixed and the car is running now. However, the tune is off. It dynoed @ 356whp/303Trq with an AFR at WOT of 10.8. Guess I need a retune...

On the bright side, the Autometer Cobalt Boost and Fuel Pressure guages are kickass and I was able to wire my Whistler Fuzion concealed radar detector to my rear speakers. Pretty cool! I'll get pictures/video up soon.

~Fred