Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP Handling Pack on convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 04:29 AM
brdm266

Default FRPP Handling Pack on convertible?

All,

New to the forums and just ordered my 07 GT convertible! Iwant tolower it and get better than stock handling from it. I was initially looking to install the Ford Racing Handling Pack at delivery, but most references state that the Handling Pack is for coupes only.Has anyone installed the FRPP Handling Pack on a convertible or know the reason it can't be done?

I understand the convertible is about 300 pounds heavier than the coupe, is it simply that? Steeda and Roush, based on their websites, don't appearto differentiate between the coupe and convertible for their suspension kits. FRPP and Eibach on the other hand do. With Eibach, there is a complete kit for the coupe but not the convertible, yet you can buythe identical springs and swaybars for the convertible, just no struts or complete kit.

Any helpand advice would be appreciated.

Dave H.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:40 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: FRPP Handling Pack on convertible?

The problem is that the convertible body is weaker than the coupe due to the lack of the roof. The roof stiffens the car significantly on the Coupe. Therefore tohelp stiffen the chassis, Ford adds various bolt-on braces under the body of the 'vert to try and make up for the missing roof. Some of these braces get in the way of some suspension parts.

Read this thread for a details on the best suspension parts available...the choice of which kits are the best has been discussed many times before:

https://mustangforums.com/m_2184423/tm.htm
Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 PM
brdm266

Al,

Thanks for the info. I have subsequently talked to FRPP technical support and Steeda. Based on what they have told me it appears to be a non-issue. FRPP saidtheir handling packcould be installed, but it would sit about 1/8" lower than a coupe, Steeda stated their kit would work too.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

+1 to the interference issue... I ordered BMR subframes and when they went to isntall them the factory convert bracing got in the way... my shop did some customization and cut the factory bracing and weld flanges on to bolt them to the BMR braces. Came out real nice... I also have the Steeda Sport Springs and F/R sways....Car def handles better...next up some rearend stuff LCA/UCA/Panhard....

pics....cam out a bit big... I did resize em... not sure what the issue is.. will try again when I can... for now you can see where they cut the factory bracing and customized the attachement points...
Old 03-29-2007, 02:16 AM
brdm266

Stkjock,

Thanks, the pics were helpful. I don't know if I am going to go as far as you did. I am going to put the basics on and go from there. Could you tell a difference with the additional bracing? Worth the trouble/time/money with a convertible in your opinion?

Dave H.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Dave,

It's a bit hard to compare.... I dont drive the car a lot... on average 200-225 miles a month. It seems to handle better overall with the suspension upgrades. I figured w/ an additional 200hp @ the crank and added twisting forces that would be generated that the braceing was a good idea for longevity. As far as time/trouble it was not any as I did not do the work. As far as money......even harder to say... it cost me about $650 for the braces and custom install, and my shop gave me a "R&D" break on the labor for the customization as it was the first time they did it. To me it was worth the piece of mind as the money side is (fortunately) not a big issue for me.

The other thing to keep in mind. The vert settles a bit lower than the coupe with the lowering springs than the manufactures advertise.

Hope that helps.

Dave
Old 03-29-2007, 09:58 PM
brdm266

Stkjock,

Thanks for your advice, very helpful. Would you mind posting a full size pic of your Mustang or is there one already posted somewhere? I am most likely getting the Steeda springs and would like to get an idea of how the car will sit. It looks pretty good from the small pic in your profile. I am getting Mustang fever already waiting for my car to show up. I saw in another post you just got the supercharger, good luck with it. I'll be watching to see what you think about it.

Dave H.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:10 PM
brdm266

Found your pics on another post, disregard last. Cool ride! I am fired up to get mine.