MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Need new tires (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/265927-need-new-tires.html)

Humboldt Stang 03-28-2007 08:54 PM

Need new tires

My stock pzero nero's have 30k miles on them, and I can feel them breaking loose in the rain.
Time for new ones.
Should I stick with Pzero's or try something else.
This is my daily driver.
Any recommendations?
I did a search, but all I came up with were threads about aftermarket rims and drag radials, and got tired of looking.
Thanks for the help.

05MustangSally 03-28-2007 09:11 PM

RE: Need new tires

I like the Pirellis but I think they are better for BMWs etc. My mom has Pirellis Pzeros on her BMW 528i and they are great. But I think are Mustangs perform better as daily drivers on BFGoodrich tires...preferrably G-Force ;)I run those tires on my daily driver V6 and I've had no problems! They are actually running low (10K miles left) and I just got through the rainseason no problem.

bl1nk 03-28-2007 09:35 PM

Wow, you got through 30k miles on the stock Pirellis? Im not even at 15k and mine are looking like slicks... I spin the tires so much because the traction is so horrible that they just burn away. Thing is I dont even try to spin them, and I have to pull out of places -very- slow so that they dont light up, even when its dry. Im looking into new tires as well because these are going to give out soon and Im going to be SOL. You going with larger tires or sticking to the stock size? Id like to find some 255/50/17s all around... I think thats the largest we can go on stock rims right?

ponyman 03-29-2007 01:15 AM

255/50/17 BFG KDWS should be a pretty good replacement for the stock p-zeros....or you could always go with 255/50/17 Nitto 555's, but I hear their wet traction (especially after 10K plus miles) is a little lacking....those are the two most common and probably best for 255/50/17s....

maniacmikey 03-29-2007 01:29 AM

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Wow, you got through 30k miles on the stock Pirellis? Im not even at 15k and mine are looking like slicks... I spin the tires so much because the traction is so horrible that they just burn away. Thing is I dont even try to spin them, and I have to pull out of places -very- slow so that they dont light up, even when its dry. Im looking into new tires as well because these are going to give out soon and Im going to be SOL. You going with larger tires or sticking to the stock size? Id like to find some 255/50/17s all around... I think thats the largest we can go on stock rims right?

Man I must be doing something wrong I push all the way to floor with the TCS off and it just takes off no spin at all.

rex7010 03-29-2007 01:36 AM

I have two BRAND new pzero nero's 17".. if you would like to buy them.. ( bought a S/C had to sell because of a divorce is why I have them ) anyway... I like the stock tires .. they work for me... now at the track.. I would change my mind.. but on the street.. I think they are good tires .. as far as dollar for dollar

JMO and only that...

R

mygt500 03-29-2007 02:19 AM

Live on the edge and try something new. I think regardless of the tire you choose you will be happy. I am partial to BFGoodrich but.....it is up to you and your money!

Scotty07 03-29-2007 02:56 AM

I'm running PZero Nero M/S in 255/45/18....they hook up MUCH better than the stock BFG-KDWS in 235/50/18....of course, they are a tad bit wider :)

UrS4 03-29-2007 03:58 AM

Going with a 255/50/17 would be a good thing to do. The wider the better.

To tell you the truth, the P Zeros are a pretty good tire and wear well on the road course providing good grip for how narrow they are. I don't remember every size the P Zeros M&S come in but they make a 285 wide at least and if you really loved those tires and got wider rims them would be a good all around tire.

However, if you switch to a non-all season tire, the side wall should be stiffer which will firm up the ride and cut down on the wallowing back end when taking sharp turns. There are better tires for the rain KDWs and Nittos are good examples.

sandy 03-29-2007 02:51 PM

I'm running the stock pirellis (235/55s) on custom 9" deepdish wheels and I can't spin 'em on a bet. They're wearing great. Couldn't ask for a better tire.